Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  9:40:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have been really trying to keep our utilities down to a minimum lately and it's working! Our electric bill hovers around $100 a month and while that isn't too terrible it still feels like a lot to us. So I have been really trying to keep it down and this latest bill was only $69!! WOO HOO! Granted our electric dryer was out for part of that but now that spring is here all of our blankets are going to get sun-dried!! Yippee!! I am so excited!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  9:54:14 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
That is wonderful Alee!! We are doing the same thing too. :) So happy for you!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  11:18:34 AM  Show Profile
I feel for ya' Alee.
In the winter mine goes up to $ 165.00 a month [I live in an old rental]. I keep the thermostat kinda' low [not unlivable - but kinda' cool].
Dad doesn't want to come over in the winter because it's toooooooo coooold for him. ;*)
It get's better in the summer for me. I only have the swamp cooler, no air conditioning. That $ 100.00 comes off the bill. I've also pent time this year putting in weather seal and plugging holes. I have to stay here till I get all my debts paid [so far it is a safe neighborhood] so I'm trying to use my smarts and make things efficient.
Smiles!
Carla

"You shot it Tarzan-
You eat it."
Dave Ramsey
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  9:45:50 PM  Show Profile
My bill is constantly over $200! What can I do to reduce it?

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  06:46:47 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Change all your light bulbs to florencent. Make sure lights are all turned off. Dry your clothes outside.

That should make a big difference

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  06:51:58 AM  Show Profile
That's great Alee. I used to long for cheap electric bills and now I have them. It cost me almost $8K, but I installed a new heat pump in November after my heater went out. My last electric bill was $49.49. What a relief. Of course, now that it is Spring my water bill will be going up, but with my front loader washer and dryer, that has been kept down to below $50 a month also. Of course, it doesn't hurt having a Public Utility District either.

Thanks for sharing your story Alee. I hope to be able to use my clothesline more now that I'm feeling better.

Betty in Pasco
Where the sun is shining almost daily now.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  08:22:18 AM  Show Profile
I finally turned the heat all the way off - yay!! That should help. This winter was easier because natural gas rates went down - there are some years where we set the thermostat at 63 - drafty house - I did a lot of chores to keep warm:)
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  11:41:53 AM  Show Profile
Angela, I am with you. We live in a very small house and we do not have central heat or air. We heat with radiant heaters, but this yr we bought a propane heater and we just use it when we are int he living room. So we just used 1 of the radiant heaters in the hall to make the rest of the house not so cold. And we use window units to cool the house down. Our electric bill is still about 150.00 to 185.00...How can we lower our bill??? Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  08:03:38 AM  Show Profile
Good for you, Alee. That is a big thing to be able to get that electric bill down. I should have a very small bill this next time. No heat or air at all. And I do not use the dryer, just hang out. And my daughter moved out!! So the water bill should be about hardly anything too. I am so excited! I sure wish we could go to solar. And I would love to have a windmill but not enough wind here. Solar panels would be great and would pay for themselves in no time. But a big expense initially.

Keep up the good work girls! Dryers really use alot of electricity. You can use the inside drying racks if it's raining to save money. Plus a good loe clothes line is the best way to save money.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  09:34:18 AM  Show Profile
Deborah
I HEAR you!! We did not use the furnace once. Heat with wood only. Bought new Energy Star washer & dryer & hot water heater. Also replaced our garage fridge (which was an ancient old GE that worked great) with a smaller new "energy efficient" fridge that barely keeps anything cold. I hang our laundry. We have 2 TVs & 2 computers which are on at normal times. Also had an electrician upgrade our electrical panel & combine 2 older ones. All of this & NOTHING!!!! Our bill is still about $200 a month. We have been round & round with Duke Energy & they either blame us, or blame a rate hike. It is beyond frustrating. If we even ran our heat when it was single digits outside, I bet our bill would be $400 plus.
I wonder why I paid bucks to upgrade alliances when there has been no indication that they are doing a D@&*^*^N thing.
Sorry if I sound PO'd, but just got my bill & our April bill is notoriously lower. HA!! $198!!!
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  3:14:29 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, I was reading on Grit that the Energy Star rating wash all a ploy to get us to buy. Not much of a difference than what we had. So I will keep what I have until we need something. I am trying to get my hubby to put a clothsline in the back yard but he says one of our dogs that goes in the back yard (she is a bad girl) will pull down the cloths. I am sure I would make her stay in until I bring the cloths in...We will see...Good luck eveyone
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  4:58:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Here is what I have been doing to save-

We got a bunch of CFLs at Costco at an amazing rate last year- about a dollar a bulb or less. So as the lights burn out, I replace them with the CFLs. Then I made sure all lights are turned off if we aren't in the room. Another thing we have that is nice is a programable thermostat. I set it a few degrees colder than I would like in winter and so far have put off putting our AC in the window though my husband has been whining about it lately. (HEHE)

Another thing I did was to turn our hot water heater down to the point where we get one good shower out of it at a time, but not much more. Before hand it was cranked up really hot and sure we could all take showers one after another because we used less hot water to get to a comfortable temp, we were paying for it to be rocket hot all day long when we only use it first thing in the morning and last at night. If it was an electric heater I would buy a programable thermostat for it but it is gas and I am not sure if I could do a programable with it.

In addition since we don't have a clothes line yet, I lay a clean sheet down over the grass on sunny days and lay out clothes and especially heavy blankets. I washed our MaryJane comforter the other day and it normally takes almost 2 hours to dry in the dryer and let it dry on the grass and it dried in about an hour all the way through too!

The biggest energy sinks in our house are our appliances. My husband refuses to turn off the computer and some of our higher tech stuff doesn't do well with having the electricity turned on and off all the time. I would love to see what our baseline electricity bill was for a month if nothing else got used but electronics and fridge.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic It's Working! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page