Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Homemade Buttermilk w/out the cow
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Homemade Buttermilk w/out the cow Next Topic  

Simply Faith
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Faith
Cleveland Oh
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  11:19:09 AM  Show Profile
A while back, while parusing the blogosphere, I ran across a recipe for how to make your own buttermilk using a starter...Since I do not have a cow of my own...I thought I would try it. I have been making it ever since. I cannot now recall the blog I found it on, for it has been a while. You basically have a "starter" buttermilk approx
1/4, ( this amount will always be used to start your next batch) Now,
since I used all mine up this time making pancakes, I will to purchase buttermilk a small container to use 1/4 as starter. You put that 1/4 cup in a clear mason jason, add milk, put on the lid, and store in a dark area. I put mine in the cupboard 12+ hours. Try to reserve 1/4 cup back and just add more milk. Anybody ever done this?

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  11:36:12 AM  Show Profile
I make my own too. Here's the link to how I do mine: http://mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com/2009/01/buttermilkyummy.html

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  11:51:00 AM  Show Profile
Faith, that's how I make mine, too. I just had to buy some buttermilk because we haven't had any in awhile. I found some pretty local from Knoxville, Tn. from a family farm. And I just bought my last gallon of raw cow milk. So I will keep some to make more buttermilk. Then I'll start milking my goats the first of next week! Yippeee! I love fresh buttermilk. I use it for so much. Thanks for sharing, Faith.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Simply Faith
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Faith
Cleveland Oh
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  12:09:36 PM  Show Profile
You have goats? Oh I could only hope to ....and chickens and a bunny....I do on my "virtual farm", not to big, just right for the 4 of us and our 4 legged son Spanky....When I need buttermilk, sometimes I am lucky enough to find it at our local grocery store, but it is shipped from Walnut Creek Ohio Amish Country...That is the best buttermilk, there are flakes of the butter in the milk, and makes a great tasting starter. Thank you for posting the link on how to make it....Raw cow's milk....I am a city girl trying to go simple country....an explanation please....it isn't pasteurized or is it that it has the cream and everything not yet taken out?
Gosh- this is a great site here....before to long I will know a wee bit about the country life from all of you...that's the plan...I wanna be a farmgirl too..... :)

http://crochetbythesea.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Simply Faith on Mar 29 2010 12:10:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  6:24:23 PM  Show Profile
At last my favorite cow Sally Moo has freshened! now I wait just a few more days until her milk comes after the colostrum. Calf is doing well, he's the first bull calf we've had in 10 years! How does that happen on a grade A dairy? We make a continuous supply of buttermilk in the same fashion. But Gal's don't stop there, try some cheese next.
We make artisian cheese commerically, but you can also make small batches for your family.

God Bless Farmers
Sister #167
Go to Top of Page

Simply Faith
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Faith
Cleveland Oh
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  8:36:35 PM  Show Profile
Do tell, how do you make the artisian cheese in small bathes? There is sssssssssoooooo much for me to learn about being a farmgirl...I got a long way to go...I told you I am citified.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  07:50:44 AM  Show Profile
pennie, i live in central oregon. i aspire to even begin to do what you are doing. i have 2 cows. i am learning to make cheese. i am having so much fun. i have been successful with colby and mozz. and ricotta buttermilk. have yet to make true aged cheddar. would love to see your place. what kind of cow. i have mini jersey and a mid size jersey and i just bought a dexter cow due may to train to milk. i would love to connect and learn from you. kris has a cow on here also. and teresa and many of the girls do cheese. they have been a true help to us so far.how far are you from central or. SORRY i hijacked the thread. back to ....i made bisquits last night with my cow buttermilk oh boy yum soooo very good. need more milk now. happy days on the farm sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Homemade Buttermilk w/out the cow Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page