Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  01:20:08 AM  Show Profile
I'm making a lot of carmels for my daughter's wedding reception, her guy is almost addicted and she wants dishes on each table. I've got a tried and true recipe, and will make them in a number of batches, but the thing that has me a bit flustered is wrapping.

The worst part, for me, is cutting a lot of little squares for wrapping them, it seems to take forever even for a single batch.
Anyone know a place that would sell cut carmel wrappers? I'd prefer clear, rather than waxed paper.

We considered using colored saran wrap, other years I've seen it in local stores around Easter, but haven't seen it lately. I found one site that sells it in sets of 4 colors, but I don't want 3 of the four!

Anyone want me to post the recipe? Its made in a microwave, quite easy and delicious!

"You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd.....
But you can be happy if you've a mind to. All you've gotta do in knuckle down, buckle down and do it, do it, do it!"

Edited by - Cindy Lou on Mar 29 2010 01:21:37 AM

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  01:34:32 AM  Show Profile
http://www.clearcellobags.com/clear_candy_wrappers.html

Is this what you're looking for? sure beats cutting all of those squares by hand! Wow, what a job! Congratulations to the bride and groom =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

JulieJ
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Julie
In The Trees MD
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  03:17:15 AM  Show Profile
I buy a lot of my candy making supplies from here http://www.countrykitchensa.com/

They have precut wrappers for a lot of things.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  10:41:01 AM  Show Profile
i would love your recipe PLEASE sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  10:59:25 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I would be happy for the recipe also. I love easy candy to make for the holidays.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  6:15:48 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, I know exactly what you mean! I made a ton of caramels for Valentines Day(probably not near as many as you're going to have to make for a wedding, but still a lot), and it took FOREVER to wrap them!!!! I hope you find something to make your life easier, maybe you can have some girlfriends over to help? A caramel wrapping party perhaps?

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  8:25:56 PM  Show Profile
EASY MICROWAVE CARMELS (from Country Woman Magazine, 1989)
1 cup butter
2-1/3 cups brown sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup walnuts, optional

In 2 qt microwave-safe boel, combine butter, sugar, milk and salt. Microwave on high for3 to 4 minutes, stirring once after 2 minutes. When butter is melted, stir well. Attach microwave candy thermometer. Microwave on high about 14 minutes or until it reaches 245 degrees(firm ball stage). No stirring is needed. Remove from microwave. Stir in vanilla and walnuts, if you are using them.
Allow to stand for 10 minutes, stirring well several times. Pour into buttered 13x9x2 pan. Refrigerate until cool. Invert pan. Carefully tap out the whole block of candy. Cut into squares. Wrap in waxed paper or saran wrap. Store in refrigerator (Can also freeze.) Yield: about 2 3/4 lbs.

Comments, be sure to use a big enough bowl, it really bubbles up!
Cooking times varies in different microwaves, its quite a bit faster in our new one.
Don't worry if it looks grainy when you pour it into the pan, it gets soooo smooth!

"You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd.....
But you can be happy if you've a mind to. All you've gotta do in knuckle down, buckle down and do it, do it, do it!"
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Candy maker questions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page