City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  07:45:33 AM  Show Profile
Wasn't sure where to put this. Hubby & I are in the market for one. Hubby is interested in us making jerky - me, I want to preserve the garden - and well, probably learn more from you here what I can do with it.

Can you educate me on them? We don't want to run out and buy a model that we're going to outgrow in a year or 2. We'd like something that is going to last. What is a good model? How many watt's?

Help! Thanks!

Farm Girl #790

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  07:52:31 AM  Show Profile
I actually have 2. One is the old Ronco version that I have had for over 20 years. The other looks just like it but it slightly smaller. When the season comes I may have both plugged in doing various batches of goodies. If I am doing meat and fruits etc, I will put them in different dehydrators. Also some foods in our dry climate dry too quickly if I dont leave a couple of emtpy trays at the bottom. Mine are older and I dont know if the new ones offer any range of heat. Mine dont. They are off or on.
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  09:00:18 AM  Show Profile
What kind of cost is reasonable for a dehydrator? I also would love to learn more about them.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  10:33:00 AM  Show Profile
delicia you could easily make one. even adding a small fan from radio shack. you do need to use food grade screen material. we made ours large. we also have a separate one for meat. just a thought sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

basketmaker
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Jean
Hill NH
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  10:39:04 AM  Show Profile
My daughter recently gave me a dehydrator as a gift and I love it. I haven't done much else other than drying herbs and jerky because nothing is fresh right now. I can't wait to try some vegetables and fruit when they come in season, especially tomatoes. My machine is a Nesco FD1010. I think the cost was in the $170 range but it had the best ratings on-line. I know you purchase much less expensive dehydrators but I'm not sure how efficient they are. Supposedly one of the important features of mine is that it takes less drying time.

I have been very pleased with it for the few things I've done so far but need to find a good book with more ideas. Can anyone recommend a good dehydrator recipe book?

Jean from NH
Basketmaker
www.MurrayHillWeaving.com
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  5:16:07 PM  Show Profile
Mine was only around 40 bucks...20 some years ago.
Go to Top of Page

Mamarude
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Anna
Durango Colorado
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  5:34:55 PM  Show Profile
I have 3 dehydrators, two are the "cheapo" models I got at Wal Mart and then I have this one
http://www.nesco.com/category_449f7f01f1ea/subcategory_39febe0b9343/product_425bff160394/session_ec27baec7b3c/

I finally splurged for my 34th birthday this year, because I was tired of messing with the other ones. The Nesco models have a temperature gauge, and I think that's important when you make jerky. I have two apple trees, and I run 2 dehydrators around the clock for weeks in the fall, my family loves dried apples! The cheap models have to be watched carefully because they burn my apples, the Nesco dries them perfectly every time! I love the temperature setting ability to dry herbs on low heat from my garden, and I think I'll be buying another Nesco for my birthday this year! My super frugal 84 year old Grandmother told me "You better not buy a cheap dehydrator!" and of course I didn't listen to her before I bought those. She has a Nesco too! Good luck!

Cherian
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  5:41:59 PM  Show Profile
We have a Nesco also. Husband bought it last fall, and because we live on an apple farm, we dried apples, and apples, and apples, lol!!! The grandkids loved them, so that's what we'll be doing every year.
I am mainly interested in using it for drying herbs....and garlic! And onions!!! I use so much basil and garlic and onion powder that it will be nice to have it.
Dried tomatoes, there's a thought! That would make a great Christmas present for my dad!
Husband also bought a storage bag sealing system at the same time. Haven't used it yet, but I will be once I start drying!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  5:49:02 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for all the info. I will not use one a lot so I think I will try and make one. I will use it for herbs.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  03:42:42 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, the Nesco name is very familiar. My gram had a Nesco roaster for years!

I'm going to show that page to hubby later today. We were sort of looking at the Nesco Gardenmaster at Bass Pro on Sunday. But not knowing what we were looking at. Now I know we want a temperature guage

I'm going to print out the Gardenmaster & the snackmaster to see what the differences are. (besides price)

Farm Girl #790

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  07:20:05 AM  Show Profile
I have a snackmaster, bought it about 10 years ago and it has been a very good dehydrator. Alas though we have outgrown it. Dehydrating is alot like canning, once you have done it you are hooked. DH will be building me one this spring, we will be needing one with 12-20 shelves depending on how big he builds the cabinet. I will keep the snackmaster and it will be used for little jobs, like bananas.

Brenda- I dehydrate cherry tomatos every year and use them all winter long in salads, they are great!

Deb- there are so many things that you can dehydrate from your garden, some you probably wouldn't think of. Last year after I harvested the broccoli I just couldn't see the leaves going to waste, so I gave some to the chickens and dehydrated the rest and made broccoli flakes. These work great in soups. Also another idea, take the hard ends of the asparagas and dehydrate them. Once they are dry you can put them into a food processor and make a powder, this makes a great cream of asparagas soup in the middle of winter! So many things you can do, I would reccomend getting the biggest you can afford.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Food Deyhydrators Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page