Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Lessons in Hankies Next Topic  

birdie71
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Robin
Glendale Arizona
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  2:02:27 PM  Show Profile  Send birdie71 a Yahoo! Message
I am a first grade teacher in the middle of Phoenix. My class consists of mostly Hispanics. I would also say that most of these kids have not much of a clue about farm life or even old fashioned things. I wear a waist apron (ones hand crafted by my mom and that match my outfit for the day) everyday and this last week I decided to quit using kleenix and start using hankies. Everyday I put a clean hankie in my apron and then at the end of the day, put it in the laundry with my clothes. One day this week, my kids inquired about the corner of something sticking out of my apron. I don't remember what they called it but it was a wonderful time to have a lesson. I taught them what hankies were for...course, this was an easy lesson because we are already recycling and making choices in our classroom to preserve our earth. It was a precious time!

Robin
Farmgirl #1301
Farming in the Sonoran Desert? Hmmm?!

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  2:04:30 PM  Show Profile
awwwe! what a wonderful lesson!

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

RaspberryBee
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

Karen
Montrose Michigan
USA
291 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  5:25:17 PM  Show Profile
I love this little story. Thanks for sharing Robin :-)

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.
-Henry David Thoreau-
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  5:45:16 PM  Show Profile
Ohhhhhhh! Don't you just love them. They are so precious, imagine their stories when they went home. They won't use Kleenex anymore!hahaha

Blessings, Brenda

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony" Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  8:43:30 PM  Show Profile
Wow! What a great story....I know what you mean about hankies. I only know a few people who actually still use them. I have been collecting hankies for years---no comparison to Kleenex is there?

"The best mirror is an old friend."
- George Herbert

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
www.andsewitgoes.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  9:16:38 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
That is a neat story!! Thanks so much for sharing Robin!!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  9:40:58 PM  Show Profile
Robin,
Kudos to you for 'sharing & caring'.. with your students.
I always carry a hankie in my purse....my mother always said it was important that a proper young lady carry one...and to take care to never wipe your lipstick on it!
I counted my stash of hankies the other day, and yes, I have 175 hankies, well actually 177 if you count the one in my purse and the other one hanging over my jewelery box.
I always hand wash my hankies in mild soap and a lavender water rinse... Then iron the hankie flat... I never iron in folds, to prevent the breaking down of the fibers...
Robin, be sure to remind the boys that hankies are not just for girls...men use to carry pressed handkerchiefs too!
Oh and I have 3 "Hankie Keepers"...I wish I knew how old there are but I am guessing 1940-60's?
They are little padded fabric folders with satin ribbon closeurs and are decorated on the front.
hugz

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Mar 27 2010 9:45:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  10:51:57 PM  Show Profile
Grace I'd love to see a picture of you "Hankie Keeper's". I don't think I've ever seen one before.

Blessings, Brenda

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony" Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  06:39:29 AM  Show Profile
My mom still uses hankies, too. My grandmother never went out without one. I have a couple of vintage ones. After joining the Sisterhood, I was inspired to carry them again. Put one in my purse. My daughter asked if she could get some gum one day and when she came across my hankie, surprised me by asking what it was. It never occurred to me that she didn't know what a hankie was until that day! Grace, I would love to see your hankie keeper, too, as I have never seen one, either.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

birdie71
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Robin
Glendale Arizona
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  07:50:43 AM  Show Profile  Send birdie71 a Yahoo! Message
I didn't know that Hankie Keepers existed. I would love to see it too!

Robin
Farmgirl #1301
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  08:19:48 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
You know I wonder if my kiddos even know what a hankie is. And I'm sure none of us have seen a hankie keeper. We'd love to see it! :)
I haven't carried a hankie since I was a little girl. I've been stumbling across some vintage hankies at the flea market, brings back some old memories.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  08:30:28 AM  Show Profile
What a wonderful story, Robin! I remember being out on a nature hike or drive in the Jeep with my dad as a kid and needing to blow my nose and he'd let me borrow his hankie, which was always those red ones... DH always has one because he has nosebleeds so frequently, so he has to have one very handy right away. I think hankies are very romantic for women... I think I'd love to start collecting them, especially pretty lacey ones!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  2:07:07 PM  Show Profile
Ok, here ya go,,, 177 hankies, 3 keepers & 4 gift boxes....I think I have a Hankie Addiction,,,along with my Apron addiction & many other addictions! lol!

Two of the boxes have assorted hankies but not the origional ones that came in the box. I found them in a Thrift store in Palm Springs, California. The other gift box of hankies is from Grandma Blance(not related but she was an honoray Grammy to my daughter.)
In the front, the box of packaged hankies is from my American Grandmother...I also have some loose fancy hankies from my German Grandmother...not to mention a small stack from Grandma Blanch,,,who as I mentioned was our Honory Grammy.
All three have gone on to their rewards in Heaven....and I do miss them dearly but I am so greatful to have little bits of them, their hankies to remember them by.

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  2:15:14 PM  Show Profile
Oh... I forgot to mention....I was told by a sweet dear old(er) lady that the white keeper might have also been used to store ladies Nylons in, back in the day when they wore silk nylons & garter belts...
Jimminy Crickets...I remember wearing my first pair of nylons in Jr. High...those things were bloody horrible to wear...in the summer the rubber button hooks would stick to your legs...
I suspect that when "pantyhose" became popular & affordable...many a lady tossed or burned their old girdles!
I know I was delighted and I would literally babysit just to earn money to buy a pair of "pantyhose"
Not to mention earn enough money to buy clear nail polish to stop a 'run' Dang, when did I get old! lol!

Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  2:27:17 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Those are so neat. I don't believe I have ever seen a hankie keeper and if I did surely wouldn't have known what it was. But I will know now. :)
Thanks for sharing, Grace.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  4:25:37 PM  Show Profile
Robin,

What a nice story! We all ought to get together and send you hankies from our different necks of the woods.

And Grace what a beautiful collection and hobby.

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  05:03:50 AM  Show Profile
Neat, Grace! Thanks for sharing.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1692 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1692 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  5:34:46 PM  Show Profile
Robin,
Thank-you for sharing the story about the lesson on hankies. Iwas always told by my mom and grandma that it wasc proper for a lady to always keep a hankie in her purse. I also trying to keep those seams straight when putting on the silk stockings. That it was preety neat way back in jr. high.
Hugs,
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  5:46:00 PM  Show Profile
Robin, that is such a great story and I bet you are a wonderful teacher. I know that you taught me something because I have a few hankies but, reading these post I have learned a lot more and so now I must have some more. Along with bringing the apron back I will now be bringing the hankie back. Justin Timberlake has nothing on me.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  7:20:59 PM  Show Profile
OK, today on "Sewing with Nancy Ziemann" she had Amy Brinkman on as a guest,and they did Hankie projects, a Hankie blouse, a hankie tote and they even embroidered monograms on the hankie totes.... all too cute...but I just can't bring myself to cutting up my hankies. lol!

Go to Top of Page

birdie71
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Robin
Glendale Arizona
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  5:43:29 PM  Show Profile  Send birdie71 a Yahoo! Message
I forgot my hankie today! It doesn't matter which kleenix I use, nothing is as soft and wonderful as a hankie! Our office manager has been fighting allergies real bad and loves to see my hankies each day. She says at the rate her nose is working she'd have to use a receiving blanket! Poor thang!

Robin
Farmgirl Sister #1301

my mama's (ceejay48) craftiness ~ cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com
my daddy's craftiness ~ aspenforge.com
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  5:19:43 PM  Show Profile
I have a collection of old hankies and SOMEDAY want to make a quilt from them. I love old linens and I do have one hankie keeper, filled with hankies. They are wonderful - thanks for your story Robin - I can just see the kids eyes as you told them your story - priceless!
Ruth
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  05:46:32 AM  Show Profile
Robin love that story thanks for sharing. I love my hankies and keep one with me at all times.I have even got 2 kids hankies that are just to cute! Grace thanks for showing us what a hankie keeper is I need to go visit etsy and see if I can find me one! Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10

Farmgirl sister #1156
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Lessons in Hankies Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page