Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread Machine Bread Next Topic  

birdie71
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Robin
Glendale Arizona
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  09:26:58 AM  Show Profile  Send birdie71 a Yahoo! Message
My husband is the bread maker(he literally does make the bread...with the help of our bread machine) in the family. I am so grateful he does this! However, we are looking for a recipe that doesn't use processed sugar and is more healthy and natural. He also doesn't like that the whole wheat loaves don't rise and cook as big as the white loaves. I'm guessing he wants more bang for his buck on this. Help!

Robin
Farmgirl #1301
Farming in the Sonoran Desert? Hmmm?!

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  12:45:11 PM  Show Profile
you can.. rather he can use brown sugar or honey in place of white sugar. What size is his machine? I ask because I have this awesome cookbook for bread machines... "The Bread Machine Cookbook" by Donna Rathmell German... put out by Nitty Gritty Cookbooks. If I knew the size.. I have a recipe for Cracked Wheat Bread that is high-rising.
:o)

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

birdie71
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Robin
Glendale Arizona
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  12:53:03 PM  Show Profile  Send birdie71 a Yahoo! Message
It's a Sunbeam that cooks 1.5 & 2 pound loaves. That would be fantastic! Would the honey be the same amount as the sugar?

Robin
Farmgirl #1301
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  1:51:46 PM  Show Profile
My whole wheat loaves rise just as good as the others, but I always have to add more flour than is called for. Whole wheat flour needs more of it to rise, and very hot water when you begin. I have a recipe that calls for honey, and no sugar. I make bread machine bread at least twice a week, and it is all we eat now.

1 egg and enough water to equal 1 cup
2 tbls. oil
3 tbls. honey
1 1/2 tsp. salt
whole wheat flour - 3 cups plus about another 1/2 cup (until the dough ball looks not goopy)
1 1/2 tsp. bread machine yeast OR 2 1/4 tsp Red Star Active Dry yeast

This makes a 1.5 lb loaf on the basic bread program. Make sure you use very hot water, and beat the egg slightly when putting with water before adding to the bread baker. Another trick: measure all the flour into a bowl before beginning. Then you do not have to take time to measure while putting all the ingredients together. The water stays hotter.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  1:54:08 PM  Show Profile
I think it is the same amount for honey.

............................ the medium loaf (1.5)... the large loaf (2)
water...................... 1 1/4 cups............... 1 1/2 cups
cracked wheat.......... 1/2 cup................... 2/3 cup
vegetable oil............. 2 tbs...................... 2 1/2 tbs. (I use olive oil)
honey...................... 1 tbs...................... 1 1/2 tbs.

salt......................... 1 tsp..................... 1 tsp.
whole wheat flour...... 1 cup..................... 1 1/3 cup
bread flour............... 1 1/2 cups.............. 2 cups
vital gluten, optional.. 2 tbs...................... 2 tbs (I skip)
yeast...................... 1 1/2 tsp................ 2 tsp

Allow the cracked wheat to sit in the measured liquid at least one hour. Add the water and cracked wheat with the liquid ingredients. Adjust the consistency with water or flour (before the rise)

Good Luck!
:o)

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Karrieann on Mar 27 2010 2:01:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

birdie71
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Robin
Glendale Arizona
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  2:05:15 PM  Show Profile  Send birdie71 a Yahoo! Message
Oh girls! I can't tell you how much I appreciate this! My husband will be SOOO excited to give it a try! In fact, we'll give it a start today! I will let you know what happens! Thank you!

Robin
Farmgirl #1301
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  6:54:18 PM  Show Profile
Hey Robin :)

I know exactly what your honey means about the loaves not being fluffy. Here are a couple of tried and true recipes for wheat bread that I use.

100% Whole-Wheat Bread

For 1½ pound loaf:

¾ cup water
¾ cup milk
2 Tablespoons canola oil
¼ cup light molasses

4 cups whole-wheat flour
3 Tablespoons gluten
1 ¾ teaspoons salt

1 Tablespoon plus ½ teaspoon bread machine yeast

For 2-pound loaf:

1-cup water
7/8-cup milk
3 Tablespoons canola oil
1/3-cup light molasses

5 cups whole-wheat flour
¼ cup gluten
2-¼ teaspoons salt

1 Tablespoon plus 1-teaspoon bread machine yeast

Place all the ingredients in the pan according to the order in the manufacturer’s instructions. Set crust on medium and program for the ‘whole wheat’ cycle; press start.

When the baking cycle ends, immediately remove the bread from the pan and place it on a rack. Let cool to room temperature before slicing.

**For conventional baking., bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes

Whole Wheat Bread

4 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp. salt
4 tsp. yeast
2 cups warm water
2 Tablespoons oil
2 Tablespoons honey

Combine flour & salt in a bowl and make a well in the center. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Pour into the well, add oil & honey. Knead until smooth and place in a greased loaf pan. Cover and let rise until double (about 1 hour).

Bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes. It comes out perfect every time.

*For dough only cycle in machine: Add water, salt, lemon juice and honey, then add flour and yeast.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  4:29:41 PM  Show Profile
This is exactly the thread I needed - can't wait to try the honey wheat!

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher, Eager Podcaster
http://beesinourbonnetsintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Podcasts at http://thefannyfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

birdie71
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Robin
Glendale Arizona
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  06:48:38 AM  Show Profile  Send birdie71 a Yahoo! Message
So we have started trying Shirly Jean's recipe. We have made two loaves. The first one started to mix up chunky so I added some water and it went fine from there...except it didn't rise much. I made another last night with that extra water and the loaf did rise some. No matter how much they rise, they still do taste good! But help...what am I not doing right?

Robin
Farmgirl Sister #1301
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  07:35:13 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for sharing the recipes. I love my bread machine and have been able to tell a difference when I use King Arthur flour. I have not tried whole wheat but, will now. I am kind of giving up on the sour dough for a while and just going with the bread machine bread.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  10:15:35 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jpbluesky

My whole wheat loaves rise just as good as the others, but I always have to add more flour than is called for. Whole wheat flour needs more of it to rise, and very hot water when you begin. I have a recipe that calls for honey, and no sugar. I make bread machine bread at least twice a week, and it is all we eat now.

1 egg and enough water to equal 1 cup
2 tbls. oil
3 tbls. honey
1 1/2 tsp. salt
whole wheat flour - 3 cups plus about another 1/2 cup (until the dough ball looks not goopy)
1 1/2 tsp. bread machine yeast OR 2 1/4 tsp Red Star Active Dry yeast

This makes a 1.5 lb loaf on the basic bread program. Make sure you use very hot water, and beat the egg slightly when putting with water before adding to the bread baker. Another trick: measure all the flour into a bowl before beginning. Then you do not have to take time to measure while putting all the ingredients together. The water stays hotter.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

I made it today and it turned out delicious - very hearty! I used buckwheat honey. Next time, I might add a smidge more because I loooove honey. :-)

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher, Eager Podcaster

Edited by - CherryPie on Mar 31 2010 4:21:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  5:03:05 PM  Show Profile
I tried Jeannies but, used the whole wheat cycle and it is really lumpy and did not rise much at all. I am going to try it again and use the basic cycle tomorrow and see how that goes. What is the difference between the 2 cycles does anyone know? I have a Oster bread machine and I used King Arthur Whole Wheat flour it does not say it is for bread machines though.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  6:01:36 PM  Show Profile
I have the Oster machine too and from what I read, the whole wheat cycle gives a longer raising time to accommodate the need of whole wheat to raise more.

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  11:20:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Check your manual for your bread maker for the proper temperature for the water. Mine says 80 degrees, which is really not very hot at all. I ALWAYS check it with a thermometer too! :) If the water is too hot it will kill your yeast. That might be why the bread isn't rising well.

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  11:45:31 AM  Show Profile
I know that my water gets really hot and I did not check it so I will go and try that. I am going to make a blt bread tonight and I am excited to try that.
thanks, delicia
Go to Top of Page

nouveau_farmchick
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Paris
Sequim Wa
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  11:46:59 AM  Show Profile
Shirley,
we are really enjoying the bread made with your recipe! It's not heavy, nor dry.
Thank you! I'll try the other recipes here too.

God Bless Farmers
Sister #167
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread Machine Bread Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page