dawnm
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Dawn
Blueridge Mts Va
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  10:42:42 PM  Show Profile
There are early birds. My DH is one. I am a Night Owl. I go to bed around two and he gets up at five. What do you do when the rest of the world is sleeping?

"though an old man yet, I am a young gardener." Thomas Jefferson

barefootmama
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Jennifer
BLOOMSBURG Pennsylvania
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  10:47:53 PM  Show Profile  Send barefootmama a Yahoo! Message
Well I happen to have a response to that...being a night owl myself ..I work third shift so technically, I'm a forced night owl but non the less when I am home I get my wash done,dust or catch up on some much needed me time with a good book or check up on my MJF friends..

Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves,for they shall never cease to be amused:)
Go to Top of Page

dawnm
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Dawn
Blueridge Mts Va
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  10:58:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jennifer, it's nice to meet you. What type of work do you do you do? Dawn

Go to Top of Page

barefootmama
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Jennifer
BLOOMSBURG Pennsylvania
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  11:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Send barefootmama a Yahoo! Message
I work as a certified nursing assistant in a very large hospital in Danville PA

Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves,for they shall never cease to be amused:)
Go to Top of Page

LBP
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Linda
Goodview VA
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  05:20:39 AM  Show Profile
Totally not a night owl!! Around 10:00 p.m. I start "zoning" out! However, I am up before 5:00 a.m. every morning!

Edited by - LBP on Mar 23 2010 05:22:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  05:53:06 AM  Show Profile
Well I generally hit the sack around 12-1 and always up at 5-5:30. don't ask me why, my body just says so. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  06:02:58 AM  Show Profile
I have always been a night owl, but since DH has been laid off it seems that we get to bed around 10-11. Maybe 12. I guess we are still night owls. He has always worked 2nd shift and it just grows on ya! But no matter what time I go to bed, if I get 5 hrs sleep I'm doing good. I just envy those that can sleep 7-8 hrs. But then again, I complain theres not enough hrs in the day to do what I what/need to do!

Brenda

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony" Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  7:43:18 PM  Show Profile
Sometimes I can't fall asleep till two or three in the morning so I listen to music. I read my magazines or get on the computer. Or else I embroider. what makes it bad is that I have to get up early for work--I once worked a job from eleven a.m. till seven-thirty at night and those hours agreed with me. I'm most awake and alert in the evening-- I don't mind being awake till the wee, small hours but I don't like it in winter. Now that the evenings are longer, I'm in heaven.
cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

dawnm
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Dawn
Blueridge Mts Va
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  10:00:03 PM  Show Profile
Nearly one am. I just finished watching Dr. Oz - I recorded - he was talking about the many scarey toxins that are in our water supplies and how they are effecting humans and other creatures. I read my Guide to Backyard Chickens and Urban Farm. Now am checking MJF before I turn in. Hope to be sleepy soon. Maybe I will dream about getting chickens. But right now my cockatiel is telling me he is a pretty bird.

Dawn

Go to Top of Page

barefootmama
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Jennifer
BLOOMSBURG Pennsylvania
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  10:42:43 PM  Show Profile  Send barefootmama a Yahoo! Message
I work third shift because I was usually up all night anyway and it worked better for our family..however it is not agreeing with me anymore. When I am off I either crash wicked early or the exact opposite and I cant sleep at all. I put a bid in for a dayshift position hopefully one will open up soon!.. My husband gets layed off in the winter but he just went back to work last week so he goes to bed earlier now.. we both wake up before 6 when we are both home and even our kids are early birds. they love it when mama is off in the a.m. because I make better breakfasts than daddy does lol

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  09:35:14 AM  Show Profile
I have always been a night owl...sure wish I were an early bird by choice. I get up at 6:15 on weekdays since I have kids to get off to school and daycare kids arriving at 7am. sigh. But always up until after midnight...usually after 1am. I knit, read, embroider and clean. I am a person who really needs my quiet time so I guess that is part of my "nightowlishness". It is so nice and quiet at night and I love that.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  11:07:27 AM  Show Profile
I am a night owl. I can clean the house at night with no problems; can't seem to do that during the day. LOL. I try to go to bed around 3 in the morning, and get up usually around 9 or 10 am. I practice piano work for hours, I read, etc... I've tried to become a morning person, to no avail! My dh is a morning person. Oh, well...
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  11:09:48 AM  Show Profile
I can go either way... DH rotates every month to 1 of 3 shifts, so I switch with him. I think i'd prefer being an early riser (I just love watching the sun rise!). But being a night owl can be fun, too! I love to bake at night, especially in the summer when we have thunderstorms at night. I usually watch a movie. In the summer DH and I will work on projects at night when it's nice and cool, such as painting the inside of the house or cleaning... It's kind of fun to be up when no one else in the neighborhood is... very quiet and peaceful.

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

dawnm
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Dawn
Blueridge Mts Va
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  6:45:41 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for telling your day and night stories. Dawn

Edited by - dawnm on Mar 25 2010 6:51:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  9:20:48 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I am a night owl! I love to stay up and read, or write some letters, or crochet. I really am not a morning person but I am training myself to be one ( it's not going that great. lol) .
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  10:23:13 PM  Show Profile
I'm a night owl tonight. Just watched the UK game (Go Big Blue!) and I'm too excited to sleep. Doing some laundry and a bit of housework as well. The bad thing is I have to be up in 3 and a half hours to get ready for work. I'm sure glad I took a little nap earlier.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  10:17:45 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Channah! maybe you don't need to train yourself to be a morning person... being a night owl is natural to you. What do you love about being a night owl?

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  11:22:53 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I love the quiet. I am always so busy during the day doing other stuff and I really look forward to staying up late, drinking a cup of hot herbal tea with some honey in it and reading, writing, and crocheting. I also love to read my bible at night and pray because that is the time when I don't get distracted by other things and I can just talk to God. :) I guess that is what I like about being a night owl. :) How about you Elizabeth? :)
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  3:30:39 PM  Show Profile
I have a question for all the night owls. . . Were you born in the evening??? I was born in the early morning. . so I am a morning person 5am is wake up time! Just curious. . . noticed the difference in my children, they are night owls. . were born at night.. .

Joanna #566
JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  5:51:22 PM  Show Profile
Channah:
Those are some of the same reasons I AM a night owl! Hoot, hoot!!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  6:16:58 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
That is so funny Marly!
Joanna, I was born at 6:00 at night. lol That might be why! lol
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

dawnm
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Dawn
Blueridge Mts Va
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  7:07:18 PM  Show Profile
Reading all of your replies is fun. I was born at 9:30 AM. Have a nice weekend. Dawn

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  9:42:54 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I hope you have a nice weekend too Dawn! I hope all of you ladies do!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

dawnm
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Dawn
Blueridge Mts Va
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  08:01:04 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Channah. I am going out to a friends to pick up my beehives. I am getting my bees next week. I am sooooo excited.

I have restless leg syndrome. Not fun. I don't want to take meds for it as I take, in my estimation, too many. Most often it starts in the PM and it does interfere with my sleep. Because I don't take meds. I go up and down stairs, march in the halls (no kidding), and any other activity that gets my blood flowing.

I realize last night that I have been sitting with my laptop on my right leg - the one that has been bothering me - I think that the electricity from my computer has been transferring to my leg and starting the restless leg.

Last night I did not put my computer on my lap. Actually, I turned it off around 9. No restless leg last night.

What do you all think?

Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  08:07:42 AM  Show Profile
That's such an interesting possibility that what time you were born decides if you will a night owl or early bird... I think I was born in the morning. My mom had contractions all night, but didn't know it (I was born a month early) and believe I was born early in the morning at home. Do contractions and going into labor figure into the picture? Could I like both the morning and night because I wanted to come out at night but was born in the morning? :) And Dawn, you are doubly an early bird, being born in the AM AND having a morning name... Dawn!

Yes, Channah, the night is wonderful because all is still and quiet. Maybe that's what I love because I love waking up at sunrise for the same reason, before everyone else is up and moving around, I love to just sit and listen and enjoy nature before people are involved with the world. I would agree, if I were the praying kind, it would be a beautiful time to chat with God. I meditate and I think it is a great time to do that as well. I have this fascination with the sun and sunlight, am obsessed with both sunrise and sunset. So maybe I'm just a sun person instead of a day or night person! I love seeing what kind of sunlight it will offer at those times, love the golden glow of it dancing on the walls. And how winter sunsets are often pink and purple rather than the yellow and orange glow of spring and summer.

Dawn, here is a link to a thread that went on awhile back about RLS... I didn't see you on there... there are a couple of natural remedies and advice:

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39719

I would agree putting the computer on your leg could affect it, either the electricity or the extra pressure from the weight of the computer. Either way, it probably doesn't help.

- Guy Clark

- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

dawnm
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Dawn
Blueridge Mts Va
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  10:44:15 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth,

thanks for the info about restless leg.

The irony of my name being Dawn and being born in the AM is I am a nightowl. I started this topic one night when it was after midnight. I was wondering what other farmgirls who are nightowls were up to.

I am retired so I don't have to get up at the early hours anymore - I am very thankful for that.

Take care, Dawn

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Night Owls Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page