Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Anyone know anything about ducks?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Anyone know anything about ducks? Next Topic  

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  11:51:06 AM  Show Profile
We have a very small pond in our back yard (like 20 feet long and about 9 feet wide). Anyways, I came home yesterday from church to find a little mallard couple hanging out down there. The previous family that lived here had told me that they had bought some ducks one year, but they all flew away. Could it be that one or both of these is the original ducks that had been here before and have "come home"? Are they the type that come back to the same exact place after being away for the winter? We moved here in July of last year and there were no ducks. Also, are these two a little family? Do ducks have only one mate? He seems very protective of his woman. I think they are going to try to nest by the pond. Will my kids' being back there scare them away? I've already told the boys to stay away from the ducks...just leave them alone.

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  12:20:27 PM  Show Profile
Yep. They are stinky, messy, in your face creatuers that are also too darn cute for their own good! They are always in any water vessel that they can climb in getting it filthy dirty. They also eat baby chicks and guineas that they come across. Also frogs. They are not very bright creatures. But these were the Easter ducks, too.

It sounds like yours are wild ducks that have come back to make their nest to lay eggs. I do believe ducks are momogamous. It's so sad. Because if one of them are killed the other just pines away for them. Very sad to see. They do like to be left alone if they are wild ducks. They also carry certain diseases so be careful. But enjoy them. You will see little ducklings in a few months waddling after the momma.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  12:48:44 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kristin...don't be bitter at the cute little duckies...LOL! Will they seriously eat my frogs? I can't imagine a night on the back porch without hearing my little pond frogs :(

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  1:17:10 PM  Show Profile
I have just noticed the cutest little mallard couple in my pond the last few days, I even tried to feed them today. When we first moved here, our neighbors came over, not to welcome us, but to tell us they didn't like the ducks that lived here before and they really hoped we never got any. And don't ya know, my chickens head their way every time they get a chance. I had a pair of ducks for a while, but something came in the night and took their heads. I hope this couple stays a while

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  11:47:30 AM  Show Profile
Well, we've had ducks before and one thing... if you do feed them try not to feed them close to the house or around the doors. I thought it was cute that they would come to our back door on the back porch and quack for us to come out and feed them. Well, it was cute at first until they started to poop on the porch, right near the door. No matter how we tried to keep them away they would keep coming back and doing their business right there. But they can be such sweeties too though. Another time there was a pair that took up on our pond and one of them was hit by a car and killed. The mate wouldn't leave it alone for the longest time, it just sat beside of it.. it was so sad.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Anyone know anything about ducks? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page