Page: of 2

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  7:12:34 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
We dehorned Ebony Jane. All I can say is, it was terrible.
Just thought I would let ya'll know.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  7:32:59 PM  Show Profile
Eek! Sounds like a really not fun job! Glad you got it over with and survived. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  7:35:48 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
We just did it about an hour ago and it is still very fresh in my mind. I feel like the crulest person in the world. :( She cryed so much. :(
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  7:50:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ugh- yeah. I am not sure if I would have the guts to do it. I would probably spring for a vet call! Either that or just have horned goats!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  7:59:35 PM  Show Profile
Channah, you'll have to tell me how it went. I am going to be doing mine this year. I really want to try. I am so proud of you for doing it. Did you have help?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  9:13:37 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
oh it was terrible Kris. We are not even sure if we got it. I had my dad do it because he has done things like this before. But I did hold her still and oh to hear her cry just broke my heart. I held her a long time after that and now she is back to jumping and playing. Tomorrow we will take a look again and see if we got it. It is so hard to do it when you love them sooo much and you know you are hurting them and they don't understand why. I wanted to have horned goats but from what I have read it is a good thing to dehorn. Oh well, it is done at least I hope so.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  05:09:49 AM  Show Profile
Oh Channah, my heart goes out to you. That is really hard to experience. But, I'm sure you feel much better after seeing her run around and play. Give her extra kisses from me!

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  07:27:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Channah,

We did that one year and only one side "took!" I swore we would never do it again! I agree, it is horrible!! If I have any does this year, I will take them to the lady down the road who has had goats for a long time and knows what she is doing!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  08:03:06 AM  Show Profile
Candy, last year all 11 of my bucks had their horns come back in. Not long but they were horrible looking. I took a few back to get redone but they still came back out. The 2 does did not. That also happened to a few the year before. I am going to do it myself this year but I want my friend to help. I hopefully will get them at the right time. Maybe it's the phase of the moon, too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  08:21:23 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry for the horrible time you had but I do have to say I am sure the goat had the worst end of it. I do not wish to make you feel worse but why did you take her horns. I know all the press about bad for fences and such but really they have horns for a reason. It is their way of cooling themselves, protecting themselves, scratching themselves and also the horns have a scent which also is used to imprint the babies with. I hope that maybe you will reconsider this practice - goats have lived all these thousands of years with horns it is only when we started factory style farming did we feel the need to disfigure our animals. Same with tail docking for sheep. In other countries who have these animals this practice is not done.

Please hug Ebony for me - I have an Ebony with wonderful horns as you might remember -I could never have taken any of my goats horns and yes I raised over 50 milking goats so I am not just taking about fiber goats but then I guess that is just me.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  08:48:56 AM  Show Profile
.. me being more of a country gal than a farmgirl and knows nothing in regards to the actual care of farm critters, I need to ask... why?

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  10:50:28 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Here is why I did what I did. It was not something I believed in doing but I did it knowing that I was helping her. This is what Fias Co Farm does and I did it because this resone.

You do not want a goat with horns. It is your decision to make, of course, but I'm talking to you now as a friend, let me say that, from personal experience, and knowing human nature, goats and goat behavior very well, please, do not get a goat with horns or you may regret it later. If your goats have kids, please be responsible and disbud them at the proper time. Yes, horns can be very beautiful, but they are also very dangerous, to you, your family and other goats. Even if the goat is a pet, and friendly, he/she can accidentally, or on purpose, seriously injure other goats, animals and humans. Goats learn to use their horns; they can, and will, use them on their herd mates (goat can, at times, be very violent with each other: it is their natural way). I know of a goat that gored her herd mate through the chest. A loving pet goat with horns could easily, even if accentually, injure a child- it's just not worth the risk to your children. I hate to see a pet goat end up in the auction barn because they hurt their owner, their owners children, or their fellow herd mate.

Horns can, and do, get caught in fences, which can be very dangerous for the goat, causing her to strangle him or herself, or leaving him/her open to attack by predators. I knew a goat that got their horns caught is a low basketball net. Don't think that if your goat has horns, he can/will defend himself against dogs (no matter what someone told you). If a dog wants to kill a goat, and he can get through your fence, he will kill the goat, with or without horns.

If you are going to show your goat, or the goat is a 4-H project, he/she must be disbudded.

I new that it would not be far to Ebony to let her have horns because she is already very attached to the other goats and she would have to be by herself if she did have horns. I new that she could get hurt or the other goats could get hurt if she had horns. It would have been diffrent if my other goats had horns which I wish they did. When I got my other goats they had already been disbudded. I had no choice really because it was already done. I know you ladies will think bad of me for doing it but I had to do it for Ebony and the rest of the goats. I would have not done it if my other goats had had horns. I only hope we did the right thing. None of us wanted to do it. I can only hope and pray.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  11:07:30 AM  Show Profile
Channah Hun,
I do not think bad of you - ever!
I am please to be educated from both sides.
Thank you for sharing your reasons.
:o)

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  11:09:45 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Karrieann. I really didn't want to do it. Neither of us did. But I would have done things diffrent if they did have horns.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  12:24:34 PM  Show Profile
I know the owners of Fias Co Farm and for the past 14 years this has been always a subject when goat owners get together. Her is the other side - I have had goats who came without horns to this farm. I have watched my herds very carefully and this is what I have learned. Goats without horns still stick their heads thru fences in fact more times then goats with horns because with the correct fencing a goat with horns can not get their head thru - therefore they are not going to hang themselves, get attacked or ruin fencing. The only time I had to cut a fence was for a non-horn goat who pushed her head and fron feet thru a fenceline. In 14 years I have NEVER and I repeat NEVER had a goat with horns even my breeding billied gore or cut another animal, human or pasture mate - that includes they have not attacked their dog protectors. I have had them protect themselves from a coyote and fox attack. If they did not have their horns I would hate to think what would have happened. I have however seen goats at other farms who did not have their horns and they where killed by dogs, coyotes, foxes and bears. I have also witnessed goats be much more aggressive because they did not have their horns - it is like if you had your hands tied behind your back all the time and was out numbered you would be on the defensive. I presently have 18 billies with huge horn spans - they have never gored, cut or killed any of the other goats. I have thos same billies in with llamas, alpacas, goats, dogs and humans and still no one has done any damage to anyone. If you have a dog that is not social or trained I would find them much more of a danger then a goat with horns.

I know this is a touchy subject - but just because a big farm does it does not mean it is right. Just because a big farm wishes to defend their position does not mean that all the facts are out there. I in no way am saying you do not have the right to do with you animals as you wish - Heck, folk take tails off of dogs and cut their ears just because it was a trend by large breeders and because someone said they could. Just like they clip the tips off of chicks beaks so they will not hurt each other - the only reason they hurt each other is because they are crowded into tiny spaces, no clean air, no room to move, horrible food conditions, genetically altered - anything but natural. If you have chickens who get plently of space, get to act like chickens and are not made into monsters there is no reason for them to hurt each other.

I have sat on 4H fair boards for 13 years - I stood up for those who wished to have their animals left intact as Mother Nature made them. This is the same agruement about the way we house them, feed them, breed them and such. You have to do your research and really think about does it make sense. Part of also making the correct breeding decissions is to see the animal in it's full creation. If the horns are taken we can not make informed decissions as to who should be bred and who should not. Weak, malformed horns is a genetic marker for other things and you then only get a half picture of the animal. Not the way I wish to make breeding decissions.

Sorry for the length but you might tell that I am very involved in this topic. I have sat on dozens of panels talking with and educating folks about this practice - trust me this only started once we crowed animals into closed barns and overbred, under valued and churred out an animal that would fit into our concept of farming.

I wish you luck and again I hope you will give Ebony a hug from this Goat owner....

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  12:29:29 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I don't really know what to say Grace. I guess I have done what I have done. I would have done diffrently if they had horns.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  12:32:53 PM  Show Profile
I know I posted here last year about my experience with a goat that had horns. A friend wanted me to keep her because she didn't have time to milk her and mine had not kidded yet. She had some horns and she knew how to use them. She did use them quite frequently. On the other hornless goats. She was constantly gouging them in the stomachs and rears. I was so ready to take her back.

I think if I had gotten my does with horns it would be different. But all of them were already disbudded when I got them. Except Sandy and she was just a few days old. I took her to a vet friend who put her to sleep and disbudded her. Very humane.

I just have to say that the kids are ok and forget about what just happened as soon as they are back with the mothers and nurse. I don't know this for a fact but I have seen and heard them cry while they are being held and while it is being done and within minutes of being back with the mother they are fine. I have never had any of them become sick or depressed or dispondant or die or get infected or hate me later.

It is a personal choice that millions of people make every day. And I really don't think anyone needs to tell Channah that she has done a horrible thing to her little goat. I think she feels bad enough right now without someone telling her. I think she did the right thing for her situation. And I can imagine little Ebony is just fine right now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  12:34:21 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I thought I was doing right for Ebony but maybe not. I just know how they love to play fight so much and thought it would be best to go ahead and do it. Thank you Grace for your help.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  12:46:56 PM  Show Profile
Channah
Maybe Lindas will pop in here. She disbuds her goats, & while it is no fun job, she does it for many of the reasons you stated. Don't be hard on yourself. I agree with you.
Linda hates it too, but does a beautiful job & I have never seen any of her horns grow back in
Don't feel bad, there are many of us that feel the same way.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  12:53:49 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
It's fine Kris. I do see her point. I was just thinking of Ebony and wanted to do the right thing. I would have done things diffrent if they had had horns. Thank you ladies for you help and support. :) Ebony is back to her old self and is very happy as far as I can tell. :)
hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  3:02:52 PM  Show Profile
Kris - I in no way said she did a horrible thing! I do take offense to that - there are millions of owners who do not disbud their goats and have wonderful experiences. Your right it is a personal choice and sometimes you have to know why a practice started to understand why other do not go along with it. I never take the care of my animals lightly nor do I tell others what to do - I simple say what I have done and why and I thought that is what this site was about - sorry if my statements where not taken in the way I was sending them - information first.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  3:35:29 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I am glad you told me what you do Grace. I think it is a wonderful thing and your goats must be very happy! Thanks again! It is good to hear both sides.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  4:45:15 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I emailed you. And I will apologize here also. I did not mean to sound the way I did. I very much value you and your advice and opinions. You have been doing this way longer than I ever have and know so much more than I could ever hope to know. I hope you will keep giving us your great advice. I like you too much! I just jumped too fast. I will think before I write anything again.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  5:06:55 PM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
I feel for you Channah, I also like Grace know they do not need to be dehorned. When I was growing up we had goats with horns we let have babies and milked. What happens, happens that is life. If they should be cut then they would not have them to begin with and they would not come back at all. God gave those animals horns for a reason. Man needs to learn to work with the animal as if they were the animal and not a man. Just like chickens and cows you work with them as if you were one of them and things are different. Sorry for all your hard day. God bless you little one. You will be ok you did what you thought was right. Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  5:47:36 PM  Show Profile
Oh Channah: At least it is done now. Many years ago, as a little girl, I remember my dad de-horning a cow with really big horns. That cow really was bellowing. Sorry it was rough on you. There are time when we must do things we must do. God Bless.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  6:22:15 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
It would have been diffrent if my goats where in the wild or if I had a big herd of goats.I know there is a resone for why they have horns. But here it is diffrent. Here there are little kids everywhere, I have to worry about neighbors, fences,etc. My goats are put in a little shed at night and it would be very easy for an udder to get hurt or worse. Now if I lived out in the middle of no where and had lots of room for my goats to wander than I would let them have horns. I did what I new was best and I am sorry you ladies disagree.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Edited by - maggie14 on Mar 21 2010 6:30:01 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic We did it!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page