therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  08:08:40 AM  Show Profile
I was reading Jo's post about a comfy drawer and started talking about my junk drawer. Thought it might make a good topic. So here's the question of the day -- what's in your junk drawer?

Mine has three sets of key that I have no idea what they belong to, various assorted screws and nails, some outlet covers that we took off of something, roll of tape, screw driver, extension cord, and some seed packets from last year. Now that I've gone through all this I'll be cleaning things out.

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Edited by - therusticcottage on Apr 25 2006 08:27:40 AM

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  08:46:35 AM  Show Profile
Hmmmmm, well I have leftover wedding invitations from my wedding last year, seed packages, phone book, colored pencil crayons, chocolate, rubberbands, key chains, magnets and a screwdriver......I probably will leave all of that stuff there, 'cuz I don't really know where else to put it

"I wanna touch the earth, I want to break it in my hands, I want to grow something wild and unruly"
Go to Top of Page

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  11:00:53 AM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
We had a junk drawer in our last house, but my hubby is a carpenter so we had so many screws and drivers and well the strangest stuff sitting in the drawer that it was never useful to any of us. I even bought little boxes to fit in it to sort and organize everything.. but he emptied his pockets and dropped everythin in... so I havge made the basement the junk draweer! the place to put the nessesary stuff with out a permanent home. Now he empties ont to the Microwave and when it is too full, I send it all down to a box in the basement... if he really needs it HE can look for it!
Then you go to the sewing room have a seat, open the top draweer and find....a junk drawer with a spare zipper, a seam ripper, a few handfuls of needles ,the scissors are suposed to be there but arent! thimbles, tape measure, tape, a ruler, you know the fun stuff!

-Tami
now ladybugsmom7, the newest farm girl Danielle elizabethwas born March23, Danielle Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2006 :  2:50:03 PM  Show Profile
What's in my junk drawer? Well, in the first layer of junk I have tape of all kinds (masking, duct, scotch and packing), screwdrivers, hammer, elastic bands, scissors, odd nails and screws, thumbtacks, plenty of take-out menus, a tape measure...
If you dig a little deeper, you'll find plant food packets (the little ones you get with bouquets of flowers), old keys, a deck of cards, extra Christmas light bulbs and some wood glue. I actually bought a junk drawer organizer (kind of redundant, don't you think?) so I have little compartments for all my junk.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2006 :  3:13:30 PM  Show Profile
Well, I organized many of the things you'd normally find in a junk drawer so all that's left are things that don't have a home:
various keychains, fridge magnets, a couple of unidentified keys, a compass, the ball off the stick shift of my old favorite car, some dreidels (I have no idea where those came from), a bus schedule, expired pizza coupons, and a never opened card game I gave my daughter 2 years ago for Christmas. Then there are the many bits of paper that have phone numbers written on them, but somehow never made it into the address book.

Unfortunately it IS a junk drawer. My grandma's always held the string and scissors, odd clothespins and thumbtacks, birthday cake candles and a few rubber bands, but things like that have a home in our place. I like that although we called it the junk drawer, it was actually the "useful" drawer.
Go to Top of Page

JennyWren
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

USA
201 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2006 :  06:29:20 AM  Show Profile
Which one? haha...

Depending on which one we are referring to... The first one has all of my practical stuff that doesn't have any other place to go. String, erasers of every kind, scissors.. dried out rubber bands.

The second one has stuff from the kids over the years, I kept all of their art work etc that is in a cedar chest in the basement. The junk drawer has left over school photos, tiny toys... Single earrings that I am sure I will "someday" find the second one to. Old packets of seeds I forgot to plant.

But my favorite one really isn't a "junk drawer" more of a Memory drawer. That has old love letters from my grandparents, photos, my Mom's little stuff in wonderful old tins, everything is in small antique decorative tins, bone china animals, old embroidered hankies... My grandfathers buttons from his World War 1 uniforms, photos and letters of his from Guantanamo Bay. A wooden box my grandmother gave me with things in from her childhood, like her button hook for buttoning her shoes. Some of my Dad's photos of his gardens or his World War 2 photos, old political buttons, red cross buttons etc, a package of pink double poppy seeds from his garden. It's the bottom drawer of my dresser, sometimes when I miss them all so much, I sit on the side of the bed and go through it all, somehow it always makes me feel better.

Carla...

If you treat an individual as what he is, he will stay that way, but if you
treat him as if he were what he could be, he will become what he could be.
-- Goethe
www.jennywrensurbanhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2006 :  06:51:59 AM  Show Profile
Carla -- your memory drawer sounds wonderful. Guess I have one of those too although I didn't recognize it as such. It holds cards that the kids have given me, pictures of family members, and other special things. Think I'll go have a look at it today!

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage/
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  12:25:00 PM  Show Profile
well gals, i had in mine, but i did sort some of it! ha ha! right back at it again though. it is sooo convienient to save steps eh? i had chalk, from the grandkids, when they come to play they scribble on an old slate, i had here for years, and old watches witout straps that don't even tick, hair scrungies, bandaids,spy glass, even some chicklets in some packages two or three,i think every drawer has a screw nail in it? i even have some glue sticks, and a small glue gun. glass cases there is no end, i did manage to sort some of it but somehow a lot of that junk ends up back in there lol! i too have a drawer with some odd and ends of pictures someday i'll get them in an album??? tee hee! i guess we all have a junk drawer couldn't live without them i spose!tee hee!! love from jo!

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

sandyb
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Sandy
California
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  11:05:23 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have a "what is it" drawer or box? Every so often I find little parts that my husband & I have no idea what it goes to or where it came from. Little screws or plastic parts or whatever that you suddenly find on the floor. I'd put some in the junk drawer or some in the garage & here & there. Of course when we found something that seemed to have a missing part to it we didn't know where to look. So... now we can go to the what is it box & see if something in there fits it. I still have a junk drawer that has known "junk" it it to.

Sandy B
http://www.berryvinedesigns.com

* enjoy * dream * create * live *
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  05:17:17 AM  Show Profile
kay .. what a great question! i've ALWAYS had a JUNQUE DRAWER .. and sometimes several! right now .. in my 'official' junk drawer (in the kitchen) .. it is mostly things that i don't want OUT .. but that i need from time to time .. such as pens, paper, tape .. matches, candles and little kitchen-y things that aren't used often .. but need to be 'hidden' (like nutcracker and picks).

it seems i always have at least one cupboard for 'paper junque' .. you know the things you 'might' need so you don't want to throw out .. until you go through and see that most of it is 'calendars of events' that you never did go to anyway!

we have a "MEMORY BASKET" .. which is HUGE .. and where i keep photos from our 30 years together .. the ones that never got put into albums. i love to just 'reach deep down' into it and pull up a 'memory'. our grandson will be visiting in a couple weeks .. and i plan on a fun evening of having him pull a 'memory' from the basket .. and telling him the stories of those times. it's always fun to have visitors reach down in there a find a picture of us in another era (with bell bottoms and flowery sack dresses!) xo

True Friends, Frannie

My KENTUCKY RAMBLINGS 'blog':
http://cabincreekfarm-kentucky.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  4:08:19 PM  Show Profile
quote: