farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  6:24:44 PM  Show Profile
So the coop is done! Everything is grand...I think...but the nesting boxes are getting too much light, I think. I have read that some people make curtains for them so there is a bit more privacy. For those who have done this, do the curtains cover the entire front? Are they pulled off to one side? My mom was asking how the chickens know to go in there if its covered up.

We have two heat lamps in the coop right now (getting down to 10-20 still at night) so I think that's a lot of light for those boxes to be seeing! Suggestions on the curtains??

Thanks!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

Chives
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Victoria
Shelton Washington
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  6:29:06 PM  Show Profile
I actually have made them from feed bags. I just cut a scalloped pattern and put them up. Vicki
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  6:49:42 PM  Show Profile
never used cutains in nest boxes, only in brooders to seperate heated sleep area form food area.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  8:58:07 PM  Show Profile
this is my thought. i have about 140 chickens. i have been raising them for 14 years non stop. eggs to a chicken is a baby. they need to hide that egg so no one eats it or steals it. God made them this way. they love a dark hole in which to lay eggs. makes them happy and feel safe laying. we have curtains made out of old pink sheets. kinda cute. chickens know to go there since it is their only choice. like a curious cat they seek out corners holes etc. nest boxes need to be away from feeding area and water. quiet dark safe for their babies. my hens love their boxes and the turkey hens lay there as well. for my hens 20 is warm. i only use lamps for babies heat lamps. i know some of the girls here do. i use lights in winter. they are not heat lamps just light. keeps them in the spring mood of laying. they require 16 hours of light year round to lay regular.just a thought sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  05:18:22 AM  Show Profile
I have not heard about this but it makes so much sense. I'm thinking of redecorating!

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  05:23:44 AM  Show Profile
From what I've found thus far (in talking to people and looking online), the curtains are best when they only cover the top half of the box, or they cover the whole box but are cut in strips (and kind of hang down like a bead curtain would). I'm going to start with them covering the top half of the box, (because that was the scraps I had available!) and if that doesn't seem to be enough, I'll try the ones that are cut in strips. Thanks ladies for the information!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MotherLodeBeth
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Beth
Calaveras County California
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  6:48:26 PM  Show Profile  Send MotherLodeBeth an AOL message
We have used burlap. Just make sure if you make nesting box curtains you use edible material. I am serious. Natural materials like cotton, wool, linen. Since chickens like to nip and peck and you want to make sure if they eat anything it wont kill them. ~Beth~

~I am the best of France and California~
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Curtains on nesting box? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page