Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 If money was no object.....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic If money was no object..... Next Topic  

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  5:37:34 PM  Show Profile
....what would you do.
What is your dream?
i would start a women's bed and braekfast retreat center where women could come for girlfriend weekends or quilting seminars or scrapbooking or church retreats and just be pampered and fed and have fun together.
There is a big old house in my town that is for sale and it would be a perfect location and I could cook and pamper women.
I would like to be able to give a weekend every so often to a woman who couldn't otherwise afford such a thing to just come and kick back. No kids, No hubbys, No worries
Of course, i'll probably have to win the lottery to do it but the thought is always in the forefront of my mind and I pray on it constantly
What would you like to do?????
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  5:53:37 PM  Show Profile
I money was no object, I would start another one of those leadership schools for girls like Oprah did in South Africa. I think that for girls today to be leaders, and to be interested in sciences and such is so important. We ladies cannot let the boys dominate!
I also would maybe start a bookstore/bistro. It would be as environmentally friendly as possible, and the bistro would feature local, organic dishes.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  6:04:18 PM  Show Profile
A library....

I would build a library and not charge for overdue books!!

"The best mirror is an old friend."
- George Herbert

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
www.andsewitgoes.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  6:39:05 PM  Show Profile
Michele, my dream is much the same as yours only I would add a barn and paddocks for ladies that would like to bring their own horses and I would have it close to a national park where they could trail ride during the day if they would like. I would build walled tents like Mary Jane has in her book, and some outdoor beds and bathtubs. It would be women and girls only, male horses would be allowed though.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  7:00:18 PM  Show Profile
My dream would be to build a two super large house with open windows, no screens, for cats and dogs who need a place to live, to be loved, and to be cared for. Of course, a vet would visit twice a week to check everyone out. I would hire animal lovers to go and sit with the cats and dogs, and to feed them. Adoption would be a very serious matter.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  7:06:01 PM  Show Profile
I would create an eco-retreat where people could stay and learn about the natural environment. There would be hiking trails and pack llamas and goats. People would stay in tents or log cabins with an option of having electricity but it would still be very basic. there would be an outdoor ampitheater for eco-themed concerts. There would be workshops on living in harmony with nature and there would be an outdoor chapel. Dogs would be welcome. Kids from the inner city would be invited on field trips and special camps for kids during the summer. I would have speakers like Wendell Berry and Barbara Kingsolver, among others. Now I just need to become a millionaire.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  7:49:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
If money were no object I would make the most beautiful working farm/ranch in the area and allow people to come visit or come for working vacations- very much like what MaryJane has done at her place. She is truly an inspiration! I would also like to do things that I think would make a huge impact environmentally wise such as doing reforestation projects and building desalination plants that would pipe water in to drought starved regions thus giving both jobs and much needed water. I would love to breed my Arabian horses and spend as much time as I could with my horses and family.

Oh if only I had Bill Gate's pocket book! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  8:34:26 PM  Show Profile
I would take in every at risk teen who wanted a chance to start over, and learn a healthy way of life away from their troubles. My late hubby and I did that for 12 years before he got sick, we had 4-6 kids, male and female, from all walks of life living the bunkhouse farm/ranch way for entire summers. But I would love to help alot more for much longer periods of time, like til they are 18 or so years old. My extra kids, of all the 33 that we had over the years, only 2 did not make it, the others all did great, became teachers and law enforcement, military, got married and had families, and they all stay in touch. My greatest success is one little tiny girl at the age of 16 was harder than a nail when she came here, and she never really left, she finished school with a 3.8 grade average, went on to community college to become a drug counsler for teens, and then she and my youngest son, fell in love, got married, gave me my middle G/son, and as you probaly guessed, yes they live here.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  8:59:30 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
You all have such beautiful dreams! You are such amazing women with huge hearts!

My dream if money were no object would be to fully restore and decorate my mamaw's old house. I bounced from place to place- school to school so much growing up. I want to make sure my kids never go through that. Then if money were nothing, I wouldn't have to work. I would have time to truly spend with my kids and out pets, our friends and family. I wouldn't be worried with the hassles of work. I would get into volunteering in the community. Get the kids into doing some volunteer work too. And wouldn't it be nice to start a farmgirl type day camp for the town kids too?

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  9:48:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
I would buy an old house in the country on alot of property and open an Old Folks home. Where it was a HOME instead of a hospital... if money were no object.

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Dont let the chain of love end with you.....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/justanotherhousewife
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  05:11:37 AM  Show Profile
If money was no object, I would build small log cabins dotted in the woods on my property. A nice level path that would lead to each one.
Set them up to have a fireplace, wood stove, front porch, and all the necessary items a small cabin would need. Then I would invite families that have children suffering from any disease to spend a vacation free of charge.

Joanna #566
JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  05:34:22 AM  Show Profile
If money was no problem, I'd find a beautiful spot in the country and build one big community center with all the different activities to help them feel grounded and feeel safe. A place they knew they could get a hug or just a understand and listening ear. Then little cabins to separate by age's. Where they know that when they lay down at night that someone is looking out for them. They are safe! Excellent teachers, trained doctors to help them with their troubles, all the healty meals to help them grow. And a world of different animals so they could get in touch with nature. And a log cabin Church like Laura Ingels. Just thinking about this right now my heart is just swelling with the desire to help the so many children out there that are just craving help from someone.

What a blessing it would be,
Brenda

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony" Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  05:44:50 AM  Show Profile
If I had no limit financially, I would buy my grandparents Iowa dairy farm back and restore it. Then I would open it at times to young people to learn how to garden and take care of livestock, and run a farm, etc. I would hire staff to run it, since I know I could not handle all that myself, and create a few local jobs.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  05:58:08 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like you ladies have enough motivation to either start your own businesses,or if you already have them,make them grow to support your dreams.
Mine would be to have Mandolin Babe's be big & prosperous enough that I could be instrumental (pun intended) in aiding music in schools programs-getting kids to become good at an instrument or two and realise there's more they can do with their hands besides computers & texting. Money is the object there,and that's one of the goals I'm workin towards. Keep your dreams alive girls,and find a way to make it happen!

http://www.mandolinbabe.info

http://www.mandolinbabe.net

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  06:29:47 AM  Show Profile
I have read everyone's ideas and they are all great. Michele and Amanda, I would encourage both of you to look into small business loans for your ideas. Amanda there is special money for some states for just such a projects. Yuo may be able to contact Hospice as well.
As for me, if money was no object I would move the florida and buy the 121 year old home I found and restore it, but maintain my hose here in Mississippi and open a tea room during the summer. I have always dreamed of being a snow bird. I also would self publish my book that I wrote and promote it instead of waiting for a publisher to pick it up.

It's all good!

http://mscountrygirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  06:45:49 AM  Show Profile
Shirley if you ever did decieded to really look at your grandparents dairy farm I discovered a USDA loan program that you could get, and the Farm Bureau also has a lot of money in loans and grants to preserve working farms. I feel that NO dream or goal is to big to accomplish!!! I was told I would never be where I am today so I encourage all of you to examine these dreams and consider working toward them as a reality!

It's all good!

http://mscountrygirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  08:27:19 AM  Show Profile
Pay off my college loans, quit my job and stay home and have babies! I'd continue raising chickens, get some cows, goats and pigs too. And I'd grow a bigger garden. I would sell my extras at the farmers market every week!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  08:35:17 AM  Show Profile
Me too Julie - except for the babies part, done with that. But pay off my student loans, travel in the winter, garden in the summer....
Then - I would like to set up a non-profit foundation for small-business start-up. Our city is a weird one (I live in a small town but work in a city) which has a hard time supporting small business - part of it is the political environment. Anyway, there are all kinds of shops I would like to see and if I had the money I would love to help make it happen, provide money/scholarships for training, startup money etc.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  08:36:29 AM  Show Profile
Oh - and I should say I really admire all of you for the things you would do!! It is inspiring to see what is in people's hearts
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  1:36:17 PM  Show Profile
I knew we all had lofty dreams and it is so much fun to read all of our ideas.
Just imagine if we could see them through and then go around and visit each others' dream ideas come to fruition!!!!
Keep dreamin and working hard and Congrats and Huzzah to the first fabulous farmgirl who actually gets it done
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  1:56:32 PM  Show Profile
I would build a beautiful log home for us. I would pay off my daugthers home and college debt. Put money away for my grandchildren for their educations and futures. Then I would do something I have always dreamed of, I would build safehouses for abused and battered women. It would have lovely sunny peaceful rooms where they and their children would be able to live without fear, there would be counselors to teach these women that they are good and deserve a good life.To teach them how to build their self esteem that has been shattered. Professionals to help these women become self sufficient and be able to support and care for themselves and families. Thre better be a lot of money, because I would want a sanctuary for abused children also, where they could learn to cope and recover from sexual, mental and physical abuse. Where they could learn to trust again and to be children filled with hope and the determination to make their lives their own. That's what I would do.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  3:28:47 PM  Show Profile
Awesome topic!

I'd buy a heap of land, move my cute little historic home onto it, raise lots of animals, especially milk cows so i can make cheese, butter, and yogurt. DH and I would raise whatever crops and animals we wanted to live off of and not have to have a job. But, as a hobby, I might create an autumn sanctuary... a place where people come to enjoy the splendors of fall, have a huge pumpkin and squash patch and a corn field. sell homemade apple cider and goodies. have my apple orchard for people to come pick apples. maybe offer some fall crafts and teach people to make some fun things... it would all be centered around autumn. Or I'd create a library/antique/coffee shop... a place where people can do all those things - read and check out books and buy and browse antiques while drinking coffee and tea!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic If money was no object..... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page