clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  09:52:11 AM  Show Profile
Hey Farmgirls....sorry I haven't been around much lately. I have been gone from here for a few weeks dealing with some health issues. My son is 7 months old now and my monthly cycle came back, but it was awful! My hormones got all screwy and I was dealing with an awful case of anemia and could hardly motivate myself out of bed in the morning. Nothing a few good steaks in the cast iron skillet couldn't fix, so I'm feeling much better now and am ready to get back into the community. So, what did I miss? Anything exciting?

So, what's new and exciting with me? Well, I finally got to start some seeds for my garden and have joined a gardening club at my church. We've had a couple really "springy" days lately and I am SO SO SO excited about getting outside and getting my hands dirty!

And, I got my MJF Magazine last week and dug right into that to find an article about outdoor bathing, which inspired me to go on a little adventure. We moved into this house (a beautiful cape cod built in 1926) almost a year ago, right in the middle of a beautiful summer and everything on the grounds was lush and green and leafy and viney. Well, this fall when all the green faded I noticed an upturned old tub out in the trees all covered with green moss. Didn't think much of it, except for 'Yuck...why would someone throw an old bathtub out in the trees right there (We're not talking in the woods or anything, no, right next to the house. I can see the spot right now out my window.)'? Fast forward to this past weekend, I thought...."Huh....I wonder what kinda old tub it is?' So, my husband and I donned our workboots and gloves and went out into the overgrown brush and began to tear away the vines and dig around the bathtub. He got his shovel up underneath it and stepped on the other end only to have the shovel handle break . So, he went and got another shovel and I helped lift the tub this time as he pushed up with the shovel. Well, much to our surprise, we totally unearthed a beautiful, white cast iron claw foot tub! I have no clue why someone threw it out there. I am imagining it was originally in this house, but why would someone just toss such a beauty out into the elements like that? I'm not even sure if I can get it totally cleaned up yet and I'm still missing one foot (I plan to borrow a metal detector from a friend...there's just too much brush to go through out there to find it), but if I can get it cleaned up enough for an ourdoor bath, I will be totally geeked! I will try to get pictures posted sometime this week. Anyone know anything about tub restoration? Mary Jane...do you have any tips?

Anyways....so glad to be back! Love you ladies!

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan, wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  09:54:55 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Siobhan, you have been on my mind alot. I am so glad you are back!! I missed you!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  10:01:07 AM  Show Profile
Siobhan (what a beautiful Irish name) So glad you are feeling better and have rejoined us!
You have been in my thoughts and I wandered what was up with you. Glad to have you back!
*hugs*
LOL I have tub envy real bad! Good luck with your new treasure!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  10:29:23 AM  Show Profile
Siobhan, I was just wondering where you had got to and there you are. I'm glad to hear you are feeling better. What a score, a free claw-foot tub. There is one on the property in back of ours that was sunk into the ground for a horse watering trough - noone actually claims that chunk of ground so I have pondered digging it up and having my own outdoor tub, I've been inspired ever since I read the Outpost book
Glad you are back!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Kerbear
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Kerry
Middle Tennessee
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  10:50:40 AM  Show Profile
Siobhan,
I am so glad you are back, friend, and are feeling well! I was getting worried since I havent seen your posts, and was going to write you a letter today!
You have been on my mind, and I was so happy to see your post today.

~Kerry
Farmgirl Sister #975
Go to Top of Page

Twinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Debbie
Wyoming
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  11:50:26 AM  Show Profile
I don't get the magazine, right now our budget will not allow for extras like this. Could someone please tell me how to have an outdoor bathroom with a tub? Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  12:28:48 PM  Show Profile
I understand about the budget thing Denise - fortunately I had paid all my magazine subscriptions before my husband got laid off:) I can copy those pages and send them to you unless someone else has a scanner and could scan them for you. You can e-mail me your address if you want
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  1:15:16 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the welcome back everyone! It's good to know I was missed <3

Denise, I can't bear the thought of a farmgirl sister NOT having a subscription to this wonderful magazine! Please email me your address so I can order one for you!

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan, wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  3:30:43 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Siobhan, you have scored with that tub! I am glad that you are feeling better...spring has a way of doing that. So glad you are back. We missed you!
That is real sweet of you to buy MJF magazine for Twinsmom.
Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Edited by - Fiddlehead Farm on Mar 14 2010 3:32:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  4:11:35 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Diane! :) Spring couldn't get here any sooner. We've had a couple nice days and they were like healing to my body. I got your St. Patty's package out this weekend by the way. So, you should get it by Tuesday, if not tomorrow! I hope you like it. :)

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  05:56:54 AM  Show Profile
Siobahn, at my parents' house the old clawfoot tub was sitting in one of the bedrooms when we moved in. We played in it until the bedroom was needed for more siblings and now it's up in the attic. If I remember right, it took two neighbor dads to help my father move it up there. I can't imagine getting ever getting it back down the stairs, those things weigh a ton.
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  06:22:59 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, my husband was like, "I don't know babe, I think I'll have to get another guy to come over to move this." To which I (who wanted the poor tub to be removed swiftly from it's sad grave) replied, why don't we go get the appliance dolly out of the garage. So, that's what we did. He and I drug it out of the brush and stood it up on the appliance dolly making sure to secure it REALLY tight and we both pulled it up the hill (it was tough too as the ground had just thawed quite a bit this weekend and was really soft). It was probably heavier than any appliance we've ever moved with that thing LOL! I had him dump it off right in the back of the house under my kitchen window where there is a section of wood chips lined with rocks. It really was a boring area of the yard, but now it has a bathtub sitting in it and it's no lnger boring :) Plus, my husband likes it's location because, although I will have some kind of curtain around the tub, he will be able to peek at me bathing through the kitchen window LOL (sorry...maybe TMI, but it made me laugh). He said he would feel like King David in his tower gazing upon Bathsheba bathing (except that he won't be looking at another man's wife)...hahaha!

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  06:35:56 AM  Show Profile
Welcome back into th fold! I know how those hormone things can knock you off your game first hand. I once saw a tub taked out of a barn loft with a pulley thru the window. It took 2 men and woman to do it. I have been searching for a tub since I got my MJ magazine!

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  06:56:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Hey Siobhan!

Glad to see you back! Missed you!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  1:33:33 PM  Show Profile
Welcome back, girl
hope to see you in Lansing
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  09:03:59 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh Siobhan - your husband's description of watching you bathe was hilarious ( King David and Bathsheba).
Plus your story of moving the bathtub put me in mind of how we got the piano in the house, up a soft dirt driveway on a rainy day. Wasn't really pretty but we got it done:)

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  6:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
Hi Siobhan your dh is great with the help he gives and the thoughts he still has it is just great. You go girl. I would love to come across some thing like that. Even if I could find a tub it would be very hard to set it up here in Virginia. It must be inclosed have running water and drain lines. What a mess but I can dream and think in the right direction. Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What have I missed? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page