Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Swap
 Quilt Block Swap - Closed- Blocks returned
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Quilt Block Swap - Closed- Blocks returned Next Topic
Page: of 9

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  11:51:11 AM  Show Profile
Anyone that wants to swap quilt blocks join in the fun!
This is a simple swap. Here are the "rules".
1. colors: red and white
2. size: 12 1/2 by 12 1/2 inches
3. style: any - this is your choice
4. pattern: any - again your choice
5. Each person will make 12 blocks - 11 to swap and one to keep!
I will group us into mini groups of 12 during the sign-up.
It would also be nice if everyone found a way to sign their block.
Happy creating!!

First Mini Group: (deadline April 14th)
craftystranger, Bugabee
kkprice, Linda Jo
Ann Bernadette, antoinette
MaryLD, sewlazie
Heather B, jelliott
srappinshannon, chels

Second Mini Group:(deadline April 28th)
urban chickie, nicie
Heather B, debbie journey
craftystranger, nettie
joyfulmelodies, Bag Lady Diva
LindaJo, mamashaw
shereekimes, ayates

Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!

Edited by - craftystranger on May 18 2010 1:18:13 PM

Bugabee
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Kristie
Lugoff South Carolina
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  3:57:33 PM  Show Profile
I am definatly up for this. Do I email you my info?

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and it annoys the pig!
Old Folk Saying.
Go to Top of Page

Moodene
True Blue Farmgirl

353 Posts

Nadine
Devers Texas
USA
353 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  4:56:11 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Moodene's MSN Messenger address  Send Moodene a Yahoo! Message
sign me up for this one!

Love me like I am. farmgirl #801
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1414 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1414 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  5:00:10 PM  Show Profile
I'm new to this kind of sign up....so I hope you don't think my question is a dumb question Do you need to finish the square you send? Or is it just a plain unfinished square, and you put the quilt together yourself once you have received all the pieces?
Go to Top of Page

Ann Bernadette
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Ann
Hiawattha KS
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  5:44:16 PM  Show Profile
Hello!!!!! Ann Bernadette here. Sign me up too. Is there a time frame for this, like 1 a month or what?
Go to Top of Page

Ann Bernadette
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Ann
Hiawattha KS
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  5:46:47 PM  Show Profile
Joyce, there are no such things as dumb questions. The idea for the swap is to piece together a 12 blocks of your choice and mail out 11. Then sew all the blocks together when you get them. This is going to be fun!
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  6:17:31 PM  Show Profile
What is the deadline for the swap?
Go to Top of Page

kkprice
True Blue Farmgirl

301 Posts

Karen
Davisburg MI
USA
301 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  11:18:05 PM  Show Profile
I'm in! I'm probably in over my head, but I can do this.

Karen

Follow your bliss!
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1414 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1414 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  03:26:25 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Ann - I'm still not sure I completely understand. So, I send out 12 individually cut pieces to 11 different people, keep one for myself, and when I get the other 11 pieces then I piece it together and make a quilt - is that correct?
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  04:57:16 AM  Show Profile
Ann thanks for helping answer questions!! I love team work:) Joyfulmelodies like Ann said you will make 12 blocks that are all the same. Keep one for yourself. Then, when 12 people have signed up that will be our mini group. We will then swap our addresses and blocks. The ones that have signed up can start their blocks. We have seven people now!! I'm excited to start my blocks. I picked the color red because an older (in age and experience) quilter once told me that the more reds that you have the more they will go together. Oh regarding the deadline the mini group can decide. I will check on this thread daily. Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!

Edited by - craftystranger on Mar 21 2010 05:08:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1414 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1414 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  09:02:46 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Barbara - I'm still unclear, and the point that I'm unclear about what does the "make" part of make 12 blocks mean. :) Sorry for me being so confused!
Go to Top of Page

Ann Bernadette
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Ann
Hiawattha KS
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  11:44:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi Joyce,
I think I can understand the confusion, maybe I can further explain. 12 blocks will make up the entire quilt. Say the pattern I choose is the 9 patch. This pattern contains 9 squares sewn together to make 1 block. I will complee 12 blocks using the 9 patch pattern out of red and white fabric that I have selected. I will send you 1 completed 9 patch block, and you will recieve 10 other completed blocks from the other quilters participating. Including your own block of which you have sewn - you will have 12 completed blocks. So we are mailing entire completed blocks to create our quilt, rather than the pieces to make 1 block. Does that make sense? It can be confusing, I know. :) I hope I helped.;)
Ann Bernadette - Kansas
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1414 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1414 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  11:50:29 AM  Show Profile
THANK YOU ANN!! It FINALLY makes sense to me :) I've only completed two quilts so far, as I've just started quilting, so I only hope that my sewing skills are good enough for everyone :) Thanks again!!! Joyce
Go to Top of Page

AsiyahK
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Asiyah
New Jersey
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  11:52:19 AM  Show Profile
Do the fabrics need to be pre-washed? I'm guessing you wouldn't want to mix pre-washed with un-washed.

Visit my blog at http://mypointohtwo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ann Bernadette
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Ann
Hiawattha KS
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  12:10:46 PM  Show Profile
Great! And you are so welcome!!!
Please don't worry about perfection. None of my quilts are perfect, but they have character! I made a quilt for my great nephew over the summer and just as I was clipping a thread ~ I had a sudden onset of sneeze and as it hit me and I snipped INTO THE QUILT! I was devastated! My daughter was in the same room with me and she immediately started laughing then we both got so tickled and laughed well into the night about it. Well the next day I went back to the quilt and hid the hole w/ an applique stitch. I told my neice when I gave her the quilt about the day I sneezed and she laughed at me too. The point is, there is a lot of love and thought in that quilt and it actually makes the quilt more valuable to her because it has a story that she can tell her son growing up, and that his great aunt is a NUT! and a character!
Im happy we are doing this Cross Country Quilting! We are building a bond across the miles and borders and no passports!
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  12:53:58 PM  Show Profile
Mary LD here, joining the group!
I'm learning to piece by being on these swaps. Thanks, Farmgirls!!

Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1414 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1414 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  2:12:59 PM  Show Profile
Great to hear Ann :) I'm glad you're joining to Mary! It feels good to have someone else beginner join. One last question (I'll try to promise that one!) would you use the same material for each little triangle/square that you use in each 12.5 square, or would you use a variety of materials that look nice together pieced together in the 12.5 square. Joyce
Go to Top of Page

Ann Bernadette
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Ann
Hiawattha KS
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  3:54:05 PM  Show Profile
Well, if I am understanding the question, if you are asking would I use the same fabric for all 12 blocks? Yes - I probably will chose the same fabric for each of my blocks. Yes? Ann B-dette
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1414 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1414 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  4:14:58 PM  Show Profile
Not really - sorry! OK - say I want to piece together a triangle design for 12 1/2 inch square that I will be sending out (one for each lady, so 11 plus one for me) would I make each triangle the same colour, or would I use a a variety of colours?
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1414 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1414 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  4:18:45 PM  Show Profile
Not really - sorry! OK - say I want to piece together a triangle design for 12 1/2 inch square that I will be sending out (one for each lady, so 11 plus one for me) would I make each triangle the same colour, or would I use a a variety of colours?
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  5:22:09 PM  Show Profile
joyfulmelodies you can use one white and one red for each block or you can make it "scrappy" -differtent reds and differents whites in one block. My blocks that I am making will be scrappy. I am using the same pattern for each block. I am so excited that new quilters are joining in on the fun!! Just think you will be getting 11 other blocks from other farmgirls to complete your quilt. You then can add other blocks, or other colors,... well we will talk about this after you get your other 11 blocks. I do prewash my fabrics like reds. I know that fabrics now are better than in the past but, reds do tend to bleed. Please keep the questions coming we quilters love to share "tricks of the trade"!! Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1414 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1414 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  5:27:53 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Barbara - I appreciate the help and not getting frustrated with me!! :) I've only made two quilts before and each of those was very simple - just 6x6 blocks of one plain fabric.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, I can do half a block in red and half a block in white, and just simply sew (or I think the quilter term is piece) it together and do this 12 times. That doesn't sound so overwhelming as making it "scrappy" so that makes me feel better! So hopefully I'm write :) Joyce
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  7:20:12 PM  Show Profile
On the signature quilt block swap, we all made 4 patches along with our signature blocks. I got to do my first strip piecing on the 4 patch.
Is this true:
Each seam on a quilt block is 1/4 inch, so the strip pieces have to be 1/2 inch longer and wider than what the finshed size of the block would be.
This is becuase the strips are pieced, and the final block is also pieced.
True or false?
I hope this makes it easy for me to ask my question.
Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

Ann Bernadette
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Ann
Hiawattha KS
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  03:39:29 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Quilters,
Mary LD - yes you are correct 1/4" seam allowance for all piecing. And I think I may do "scrappy" too, thanks Barbara for mentioning that. Joyce - how are ya today? I think we are making some progress here and this is going to be great!
And just so I am clear on an issue, we do want to sign our blocks we mail out; our name and Farmgirl # or profile name???
Thanks
Ann Bernadette
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1414 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1414 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  03:57:44 AM  Show Profile
Ann - I think I'm OK! I'd hate to do it wrong....so just to confirm before I go buy my material today, I will actually cut my blocks to be 6 1/2 each, so that way with the 1/4 inch seam, they will end up 12 1/2 finished. In doing red and white, I can just simply sew my red block and white block together, so it's 6 1/4 of each colour when it's done, and then somehow stitch my farmgirl name on the square? Either embroider by hand or with the machine, or are there other ways to do it? I really appreciate all the help Ann :)
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  04:21:28 AM  Show Profile
Joyce which block are you trying to make? I know of a couple easy ones if you need help. You can also search on the web for free quilt blocks. I like the idea about using our farmgirl#. That would be easy to embroider. Then each person could have a label explaining what the farmgirl# means!! I have started my blocks and I must say that I love them. I have decided to use Chisholm Trail as my pattern. Happy sewing, Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Quilt Block Swap - Closed- Blocks returned Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page