Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Super Easy Flan Recipe Next Topic  

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  10:35:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
One of my friend's daughter (age 11) came over last Sunday because she wants to learn how to bake. We had such a good time making Whole-Wheat Banana Nut bread, she did a GREAT job!

As a thank you, she wanted to share their Flan recipe with me. Not sure how traditional it is but her mom was born and raised in Mexico. It was super easy and VERY tasty!

FLAN

1 12-oz can evaporated milk
1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Whisk together evaporated and condensed milk. Whisk in eggs. Whisk in vanilla. Pour into a 9-inch pie pan (do not grease the pan). Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes until center is just set and the top is lightly browned. Serve warm.

DH and I enjoyed it cold the next day too!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  3:11:22 PM  Show Profile
I love flan - will have to make this.
Wanna share your Banana Bread recipe too?

Thanks,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

AuntieM
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Marjorie
Holly Springs NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  7:46:18 PM  Show Profile
This sounds really good, and super easy. Does the sweetened condensed milk form the caramel underneath? Or does this not have the caramel layer? Either way, sounds really good and I'll be trying it soon!
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  07:46:05 AM  Show Profile
Sounds really good and fairly easy too! I love recipes using sweetened condensed milk. I even like to use that on my oatmeal sometimes to sweeten it.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  09:34:29 AM  Show Profile
I made this for dessert last night along with my first ever bakeover. The flan was great. Reminded me of the real stuff I had eaten in Spain. But no caramel on the bottom. I think tonight I will sprinkle the top with raw sugar and broil it for creme brulee.

Thanks for the recipe.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  09:56:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Yeah, Ogie told me she never could get the caramel layer to work, it always burned on her, so no caramel layer. Loyce, I was thinking the same thing about trying to broil some sugar on top! :)

Here is the banana bread recipe. I actually won a ribbon at the L.A. County Fair many years ago with this recipe! :)

Whole-Wheat Banana Nut Bread

1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup hot water
1/2 to 3/4 cup chopped walnuts

In a large bowl, combine butter and sugar, then mix in beaten eggs and banana, blending until smooth. In a separate bowl, stir together flours, salt and baking soda until thoroughly blended. Add dry ingredients to banana mixture alternately with hot water. Stir in chopped nuts. Pour batter into a greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Bake in a preheated 325-degree oven for about 1 hour and 10 minutes or until bread begins to pull away from sides of pan and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes; then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  10:54:08 AM  Show Profile
Candy,
Thanks for the Banana Bread recipe, I'll try it soon.
I loved going the LA county fair-we would go almost every year when I was growing up, I'm talking about the 50's and 60's, and it was about the only place to get corn dogs. After I moved to NC I even planned a couple of my trips home so we could go to the fair.
Thanks again for the recipe.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Super Easy Flan Recipe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page