happysahm
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Sonja
Bonney Lake WA
14 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  08:41:39 AM  Show Profile
Hi!

I'm wondering if any of you have ditched your microwave. If so, how long has it been, what were your reasons, what adjustments did you have to make, etc? I want to hear your stories!

I have "temporarily" removed mine as a test. My family isn't very pleased and think I'm nuts. I absolutely LOVE having that extra counter space in our small kitchen. It's not quite been a full day yet. The biggest challenge so far was when I went to get my hubby's bagel out of the freezer @ 5:45 am! Kind of hard to slice it and toast that way. Tossed it under the broiler for a couple minutes then I could cut it. Anyway, love to hear from you all!

Sonja Spithaler

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  08:45:25 AM  Show Profile
Our microwave is dying. I don't use it but hubby and Dad do. Mom and i are thinking when the microwave dies then we just conveniently won't buy one. Hubby and I didn't have one at our other house - I think they are evil. :) Convenient, yes but I'm not sure what those little microwavey things are doing to the food. Good luck on your test. I know that a long time ago my mom got rid of her microwave and they didn't have one. My dad was c-r-a-b-b-y, but he survived. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  09:00:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We didn't have one for a good 2 years, but when I was pregnant with Nora and couldn't stand the smell of food cooking, my dad bought us another. We still have it but I try to not use it very often. My husband is all about convenience though so he uses it frequesntly.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  09:20:53 AM  Show Profile
I have one, but it is very rarely used, its in my pantry on the floor, not plugged in. I think the last time it was used was Christmas 3-4 yrs ago to warm up some coffee.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  1:45:48 PM  Show Profile
I did a challenge this month to cut down on electric usage and the microwave had to go. I miss it and I can't belive it. I agree with Amy that they are evil but I see now I used it more than I thought. You have to really plan ahead to make lunch and dinner, because you can't pull something out of the freezer five minutes before. I have a pilot light in my stove I can use to keep a plate warm, not hot, so poor hubby has a luke warm dinner most nights.
Jane

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

happysahm
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Sonja
Bonney Lake WA
14 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  3:24:15 PM  Show Profile
Tried to warm hubby's leftover steak in the oven last night, but I guess it wasn't long enough and was a bit cold in the middle. Oops! Thanks for all the input. I'm not going to die on this hill, but it's worth a shot! Especially when I am LOVIN' that extra counter space in our teenie kitchen. :)
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  5:31:27 PM  Show Profile
we haven't had one for about 6 years, maybe more. nowhere we lived had enough counter space, so we just never had one. many think it's strange, but i'm so used to it now, i don't even notice. i've learned a trick for re-heating stuff - wrap it in foil loosely, make a foil tent around your food and leave the sides open for venting... keeps it moist and steamy, doesn't cook the food anymore. we always test something to make sure it's done... usually takes about half an hour and my magic temperature is 350 degrees. i've discovered some things, especially right out of the freezer, may need to be cut in half when the outside is hot and the middle is still cold.

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  7:41:31 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
We have never had one for all of my 15 years. We don't have one because of all the health resones.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4238 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4238 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  11:33:52 AM  Show Profile
Ours died maybe 5 years ago, I don't remember for sure. I won't get another one. I did get a used toaster oven. That works great for heating, and thawing things.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

happysahm
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Sonja
Bonney Lake WA
14 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  12:02:54 PM  Show Profile
Really? You can thaw in the toaster oven?
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4238 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4238 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  06:28:10 AM  Show Profile
Yes I do, I put the temp about 200 or so, and it has worked for me. I do have a tray that goes in my old toaster oven.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  06:35:07 AM  Show Profile
I hardly ever use mine. It was a goft from a friend when I moved here. But if I had MY choice I would not have gotten one then lol. TOO stingy I think.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

knittingmomma
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Tonya
Vermont
106 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  06:54:39 AM  Show Profile
We are a family of eight and have not had a microwave for over ten years... there is just something not right about waves going through your food. Over time you will forget you ever had one.
Warm wishes and joy,
Tonya - Homemaking, homesteading, homelearning Mom of 6 - http://plainandjoyfulliving.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  06:43:27 AM  Show Profile
I'm going on about 10 years without one in my house. Since I travel for work and eating out every nights gets old, I do microwave soups in the hotel, but that's because I don't have a stove. I don't miss it, but as others have said enjoy the counter space. It was just another "thing" in the house. Something about zapping your food made me take pause. And I have become quite efficient at cooking popcorn on the stove. It tastes wonderful too.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  10:23:30 AM  Show Profile
I grew up without a microwave...17 years. You make do, and when I moved in with my father, I didn't even know how to use one. Now I use one frequently, since my kitchen was being remodeled. We've finally got the stove plugged in and the counters done, so I need to break the habit. Fiance' says the reason microwaves cause health risks is they heat the food through 'agitating' the molecules...the microwaves move the molecules around, causing friction that quickly heats the food. The problem is, it breaks them open or apart or something, and they become free radicals. Which are the little dangerous buggers antioxidants fight in your body.

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

www.jodielyzabeth.blogspot.com
www.patternprincess.blogspot.com
www.jodieliza.etsy.com
I'm engaged! Follow my wedding planning and sentimental musings at:
www.justinandjodiforever.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Pamela Joy
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Pamela
Hesperus CO
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  06:58:48 AM  Show Profile
Before my husband and I were married or living together, both of our microwaves died, and neither of us replaced it. It has been about 13 or 14 years and we have never missed having one. I still kept mine...but I use it as a stool at the back of my loom, to sit on while I thread the heddles. I never even think about microwaving. A real "out of sight, out of mind" thing, on top of not feeling good about them in the first place. We don't have a dishwasher either. I suppose if you really use these things a lot and then find yourself w/o, it could be a big adjustment. But even when I lived with microwave and dishwasher in the past, I rarely used either one.
Good luck with your experiment.

Peace, Love, and Joy
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  11:15:36 AM  Show Profile
We tossed out our microwave about 3 years ago for a couple reasons.
Reason #1- radiation. I know that other things in your house give it off too (like the computer!) but anything to cut it down is helpful!
Reason #2- it just doesn't make healthy sense to be able to reheat a food in like 30 seconds. Something is wrong with that- so unnatural!
Reason #3- our kitchen is small and there's no sense in taking up more precious counter space!!

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

happysahm
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Sonja
Bonney Lake WA
14 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  3:52:36 PM  Show Profile
We've gone several days without using it now. So encouraged to see how any of you don't have one. Funny about the dishwasher being mentioned. I find myslef more and more disenchanted with mine. It's only a year old and does a horrible job at cleaning the dishes! There's something therapeutic about putting your hands in that sudsy warm water and washing away....especially if you have a window to look out!
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  6:53:25 PM  Show Profile
I put my mocrowave and toaster in the basement and bought a toaster/convection/rotiserie instead. Like other gals, I grew fearful of it. Just not natural. I wonder if a lot of our cancers are coming from so many waves.(just a thought)I love my toaster oven. It makes toast really crunchy outside/fluffy inside. I don't mind getting a pan out and doing left-overs like my mama use too. What's even better is how it warms left-over things like french-fries, hush-puppies, biscuits and garlic toast back to their original state-not mushy(can a microwave do that?I think not)Plus I have extra counter space too now. Who doesn't like that? Oh sure, there were a couple of times in the beginning that I turned to use the micro and caught myself, but not as much as I thought I would. All-in-all, I'm very satisfied!

Sister-chick# 905(Oct.7th2009)
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  8:24:40 PM  Show Profile
i agree with heather. we gave ours up 12 years ago. radiation. i do not miss it at all. sherry

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  6:06:17 PM  Show Profile
I never had one until a well meaning family member.... But then it blew up, sparks flying all over and I said no more. It went to the trash and I have refused to buy another one. My children had become used to it and at first really missed it. Now we don't even think about it anymore.

All of creation sings Your praise!
Go to Top of Page

vintagejenta
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Sarah
Walden NY
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  07:02:30 AM  Show Profile
We have one and it takes up quite a bit of counter space in our teensy tiny kitchen. I use it mostly to heat up leftovers (I use the one at work, too) and to defrost meat (I'm bad at planning that far in advance!).

We do not, however, make popcorn in it anymore. The "butter" flavoring is terrible for you! So my boyfriend's mom gave us a Stir Crazy popcorn popper that, unlike air poppers, uses oil and stirs the popcorn as it pops. I always burn popcorn on the stovetop, so we use this quite a bit! It's kind of a pain to clean, but tastes pretty good.

Never thought about giving up our microwave (we do have a toaster oven that sits in the cupboard under the sink), but might have to at some point! I, too, have always been a little wary of how they work. But we have wireless internet and use cellphones, so I guess there's not much escaping all the microwaves.

---------
http://citygirlcountryfood.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

bdhughes77
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Debbie
Menomonie WI
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  12:52:33 PM  Show Profile
Pamela Joy (3/21/10)
This reply has nothing to do with microwaves but thanks for opening my eyes about heddle threading. I just have a rigid heddle loom but I always sit in front and reach to the back and it's a pain! Thus, I don't weave as often as I want because I don't like threading the heddles. I don't have a spare microwave but I do have a stool that's about the right height! Thanks! Debbie (Joy-also my middle name)

Count your blessings!
Go to Top of Page

OneCraftyBugger
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

R

USA
626 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  6:37:26 PM  Show Profile
I had a microwave about 25 years ago, hated it, gave it away and never got another. People look at me funny when I say we dont have one, but thats ok, I'v mastered the art of boiling water on the stove :)

Oh happy day!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFeltedGnome
http://bellasaysitsso.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

tweedlebee
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Samantha
Spokane Valley wa
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  8:10:38 PM  Show Profile
When we bought our house a little over a year ago the house didn't have one and we decided that it wasn't neccesary so we didn't buy one, and we never missed it. My mother in law thought we were crazy and bought us one for Christmas but it now sits unused in the kitchen by us, the only ones that ever use it is guests. We just found new (old) ways to do things.

Farmgirl Sitster #1327

www.tweedlebeeandtweedlebum.com
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Emily
Chambersburg PA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  9:15:31 PM  Show Profile
Ours died last july and we didn't have the room in the budget to replace it, we just started to do with out and now we really don't think about it... except when we want to defrost meat, other than that we do just fine.

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Gone Microwave-less Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page