Page: of 2

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  05:20:13 AM  Show Profile
I would like to give it up. I suspect it really reduces the nutrient value of food. A long time ago I bought an air popper and a huge bag of popcorn. That alone dramatically reduced our microwaving. I unfortunately use it to defrost meat when I'm in a hurry. The results are always disappointing. Did anyone ever buy one of those metal trays that are supposed to defrost meat - I wonder if they work?

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cgonyer
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Cindy
Petersburg MI
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  5:34:43 PM  Show Profile
I still have one, but for health reasons, I am thinking about getting rid of it. I will probably miss the convenience, but we're in the process of "de-toxing" our home due to both of our kids (twins - boy/girl) having major toxicity issues and autism.
~Cindy
Farmgirl #1273
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  8:06:48 PM  Show Profile
I got rid of ours probably about 7 years ago. It was getting to be older and I was concerned about safety, etc. I really didn't use it for much and prefer to heat things up in the oven or stove top, and for those smaller things we have a toaster oven that we bring out. Don't miss it.

Also we don't have a dishwasher, while I miss it for large jobs (like Christmas dinner) I'm fine doing the dishes by hand and at the price of electricity and water it saves us about $50.00 on our utility bill.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

CyndiAnn
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Cyndi
Crystal MN
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  05:52:10 AM  Show Profile
Ours died at least 10 years ago & we've done without one since. All we used it for was re-heating leftovers & melting butter or chocolate, rarely for actually cooking. I haven't missed it or even thought about getting another one....!

Cyndi
Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  06:05:58 AM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
I also agree with it does not seam right. My dh is the user. We only use it to heat and defrost. I will try like mad to have him not replace it when it dies. Food in the oven is much better. Also I am one who will not own a cell phone for the same reasons also the cost of one. Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

catramsey
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Cathy
Pflugerville Texas
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2010 :  8:48:22 PM  Show Profile
My microwave just went out and I was worried I could not live without it. Reading all these postings give me hope that doing without it won't be so bad. I can't afford to get a new right now anyway.

Thanks,

Cathy
Pflugerville, TX
Go to Top of Page

marmieto12
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

laura
utah
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  7:44:04 PM  Show Profile
I have wanted to get rid of ours for years. Husband insisted we have one. It had sat in a pantry closet used only for reheating. When it finally went out, last Oct. I had already begun to reheat using the ways I used growing up. It isn't as difficult as one might think.
I love not having it!

Laura;Dreaming of big girl farm...

Farmgirl # 148

Farm Girl Projects http://justsimplythegirls.blogspot.com

My Vinyl Decor Business http://thegirlscreate.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Gone Microwave-less Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page