Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Not off to a very good start so far
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Not off to a very good start so far Next Topic
Page: of 2

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  11:41:21 AM  Show Profile
Well, the first kid this year that I thought was a girl, is not. It's a stinkin' boy. I noticed he was peeing from the tummy and I thought, well, that's not how a girl pees. So I felt and sure nuf, there they were.

And Faith had hers this morning. Only took about 35 minutes from the time her water broke. I helped pull them both out. One right after the other. And guess what? Pure white twin bucks. So that's 3 so far and we have 2 does to go.

I am not a happy goat momma. At least they are all healthy and cute. I am just a little upset right now. Sorry if I sound bad but this is just a repeat of last year. Like Grounghog Day, the movie.

I still love being there when they have the kids. It's so exciting. Especially when I see the little hooves poking out. I did have to help Faith. She seems really tight at the butt bones so I have to stretch her out and help. I was so glad to see the nose.

So 2 down, 2 to go. I hope I get at least one little doe. I sold the 2 does last year that had my only girls. Not very bright.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  12:11:06 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
So sorry Kris! I hope you will have some does soon!! I am so glad they are healthy!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  6:21:42 PM  Show Profile
Aww....hopefully you get a doe from the other two. :) I'll cross my fingers!! Glad to hear the baby boys are healthy, though. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  6:51:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Awww- Sorry you didn't get some girls! You forgot to do your naked Doe dance during breeding season again didn't you?! That's what horse breeder friend of mine always says she does. LOL Her "Naked Filly Dance"

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  6:55:54 PM  Show Profile
Crossing my fingers and toes for little does! Sure 'nuf you forgot the nekkid doe dance (giggle)
Glad the little buckling kids are doing well.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  8:08:52 PM  Show Profile
Well, I knew I had forgotten something! The nekkid doe dance! I will for sure do that next year. Thanks for the reminder, ya'll. Is it too late to dance around the other 2 that haven't kidded yet?

Those little kids sure are cute, even if they are stinkin' boys. Abby had hers out today and he just follows her all over like he's a month old already. I have the one room in the barn divided into 2 rooms for the new mommas with a blanket over the door to keep them nice and warm in there. It's still cold at night. I have already had to milk Abby twice so far. She's such a great milker.

It might be at least a few more weeks before the other 2 have theirs yet. I will keep my fingers crossed too. Thanks.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  09:46:54 AM  Show Profile
STINKIN BOYS! I know the feeling. I don't care who you talk to, you will always find there are more bucks than does. I wonder why that is. I kinda got a chuckle over my friend that bought my Nubians, when hers kidded last year. She had way more boys than girls. She said she was going to buy this real expense buck. The lady told her that 90% of his offspring where females. Well, guess what? She has 7 boys and 2 girls so far from that buck this spring! I didn't say a word.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  11:04:27 AM  Show Profile
Gena, I know how she feels. I just went to the vet where my good goat mentor friend works. I told her I already have 3 boys so far. She said it's the bucks that determine what the kids will be. I told her I use a different buck every year. So ya just never know what's going to come out. But I am enjoying these little cuties. They are so funny already. When I got home both does were out with the kids. I think Sandy will go in the next week or so. I am really wanting a doe from her because I want to keep it.

Hope you're having a good day, Gena. How's little Pansy?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  11:54:49 AM  Show Profile
She is so cute. I love to watch her jump around. I have both Addison and Ellett today. They couldn't figure out what that crazy acting thing was! LOL!

Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  12:21:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
I know how you feel Kris, my older doe gave me 5 does in 2 years! Last year, I bred her daughter and got...2 stinkin' boys! I'm also hoping for does this year!

P.S. I have already decided that if I get boys this year, they are going to go in the freezer when they are about 8 months old.

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.

Edited by - Candy C. on Mar 17 2010 12:23:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  1:44:00 PM  Show Profile
Candy, I think that's what I'll be doing, too. I was going to butcher 3 of the last bucks last year. But ended up selling them. i might keep 3 and put them out with the cows til they are big enuf. Do you castrate and dehorn the bucks you're going to butcher? I don't know if I will do that. Just let them go natural.

Faith, the doe that just had the twin buck, has had 5 bucks since I've had her. The year I bought her she'd just had twin does that I got with her. So far Sadie, her daughter, has had 2 bucks. Her other daughter that I sold last year had 3 bucks and 2 does. I should have kept her and sold Sadie. Oh well.

Gena, I hope ya had a good day with those little cuties.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  2:48:57 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Well I hope I don't have your ladies kind of luck. lol I already had a baby girl this year and I hope Esther has 2 girls when she kids. But I will just be happy if Esther and her kids are healthy and happy. That is all that matters to me.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  3:38:10 PM  Show Profile
I don't have goats anymore, and I never bred the ones I had, but I wish you ladies luck!! I'll cross fingers and toes. :)
Right out of HS I milked and took care of Saanens for my boss's wife, so I understand. She kept one of the bucks and taught him to drive, had a little snaffle bit for and everything.

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
www.artfire.com/users/BlondeNakCreations
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  06:40:31 AM  Show Profile
I would love to have a cart goat. Thanks for the reminder, Alicia. If Sandy, my Nubian, has a buck and I am sure she probably will, I might keep him to trian to a cart.

Channah, I am sure Esther's kids will be nice and healthy little butterballs. You're a good goat momma.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  07:13:43 AM  Show Profile
Alicia, That sounds neat about teaching the wethers to drive a cart. I wonder if any of the ladies here have done that.
Kris, I did have a fun day with Addie Kate and Ellett yesterday. Today, not so fun, I have Conner (almost 4 yr) here today. He is sick,and of course I have his baby brother Ellett. I wish we could have the whole family well at one time!

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  08:28:34 AM  Show Profile
Gena, I hope Conner feels better soon. Poor guy. I hate when little kids get sick.

Sandy, the Nubian, has some white goo discharge right now. She has still not bagged up very much. But she doesn't til right before kidding. So I hope we don't have much longer to go with her. That would be neat if she kids today. that way they'll all be 2 days apart. I have to figure out where to put her now. She does not like to be alone so I'll wait til just about time then put her in a stall. Wish us luck for a girl this time!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  08:58:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Kris,

I will castrate but not dehorn. We ended up with two bucks last year and I was going to train them for pulling a cart or as pack goats but one of our friends wanted to buy them just for pets. I think it would be cool and probably pretty easy to train them to pull a cart.

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  09:13:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would recommend at least castrating them as sometimes the testosterone can make the meat taste off.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  3:54:21 PM  Show Profile
Kris:
Good luck. I guess you want girls because they can have more babies. I don't know much about this. LOL. Hope you gets lots of girls. Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  4:12:33 PM  Show Profile
Marly, I can get more money from a doe than a buck. And that's kind of why I am hoping for more does. And I would like to keep 2 if I ever get 2 this year. Abby's getting older and I really wanted a doe from her. And I really want a Nubian doe from Sandy. That's why I want does.

Alee and Candy, I have heard so many dofferent things about castrating or not when you are going to butcher them. I had ram lambs I was going to sell for meat and did not castrate them. They were huge when they went to the butcher. And I castrated some of the bucks last year and the uncastrated bucks were bigger. That's why I have heard they are castrated to make them grow faster. And if they are not in with does they won't have the bucky smell. I have noticed that too. So I just figure why put the poor guy through so much when they are going to get whacked anyway in about 8 months or so. I'll just let them have fun while they can. And the horns will help them out with crazy Mazie!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  4:28:55 PM  Show Profile
Kris: You are a sweetheart for the explanation. I have learned so much from all of you farmgirls! Let me know if you het any does. Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  8:27:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kris- it's true that the uncastrated ones will grow faster, however I used to volunteer at a vet clinic and the vet there raised his own stock for his freezer. He always castrated his because he said otherwise the meat would taste different. I remember it really clearly because he was really P.O'ed with one pig because he has an undecended testical that was playing hide-and-seek inside. It was kind of funny actually... LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  8:43:47 PM  Show Profile
"stinkin' boys"...... It's so funny. I often walk around griping about too many boys of something, whether chickens, rabbits or goats. My hubby always jokes around how the men folk around here aren't respected.....

I hope you get more girls!

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  06:44:21 AM  Show Profile
Well, right now I have Sandy in a pen. She is showing signs of labor or the beginnings anyway. I have never been with her when she kidded. She'll have them right out in the middle of the yard with the other goats all watching. She's so funny. So here's hoping for at least one little Nubian doeling.

Alee, I think that must have been what happened to the first little kid that I thought was a doe. I didn't feel anything when it was first born. But a few days later there they were. And a friend of mine just had that happen to one of hers too.

Wish us luck for a girl this time!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  07:02:37 AM  Show Profile
our surviving kids last year were 2 bucks, both neutered and dehorned as soon as they were old enough, and both are in the freezer now. MiHija (me-ha) is due in June and Sienna is due in July, got my fingers crossed for at least 2 doe kids. Didn't do the nakey doe dance, but if we get only boys again this year I will do it during the next breeding season. Big Al, our new buck, comes from a good milking bloodline. We are hoping to increase our herd by 2 more does for more milk. (Remember we are milking Nigerian Dwarf goats.)

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  07:43:22 AM  Show Profile
Do we have to get naked? LOL!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Not off to a very good start so far Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page