Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  07:19:01 AM  Show Profile
No I don't mean your wacky relatives or your DH. Do you store your nuts, like pecans walnuts, etc,in the fridge or cupboard. And I haven't bought honey in a long time, but might need some for MJ'S recipes, seems to me that the last time I had some it got all weird in the fridge.

RosieRiveter
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Rosie
White Creek NY
45 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  07:37:12 AM  Show Profile
Hi Nancy,

Honey will granulate if stored in the fridge, but you can bring it back to normal consistency if you heat in warm water under 140 degrees (honey will burn and taste off if you go warmmer). Honey can be stored in your pantry and really never goes bad. They have found perfectly edible honey stored in the Egyptian tombs - although I don't think there was long line to taste it...
Rosie
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  08:39:49 AM  Show Profile
Thanks girls, just what I need to know.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  6:14:48 PM  Show Profile
I keep my shelled nuts in the freezer. There are oils in raw nuts that go rancid pretty quickly if they're left at room temperature. They stay fresh virtually forever in the freezer if they're sealed up tight, and they chop up really easily when they're frozen. I put them frozen in my recipes.

The honey stays in the cupboard. Fortunately I don't usually have honey eating critters.

Ever make honey butter? Mix equal parts honey and soft butter and beat until really creamy. Add some cinnamon or finely chopped dried fruit or fruit paste, and MMMMMM!!! Delicious on toast or English muffins.

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  12:12:23 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Mary Ann, will try that honey butter, might be good on mj's muffin recipe.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  08:32:47 AM  Show Profile
I've always heard that honey is nature's perfect food. It keeps forever and is the only food (according to what I have read) that will not mold. I had read an article sometime ago with a long list of all the benefits of honey that was quite amazing. So we ususally have it on hand however, never long enough to test the mold theory. Anyway, for whatever it's worth, I keep mine stored in the cabinet. Have not tried mixing it with butter, though I do like it like that, too.

I don't remember what forum this was talked about and instructions given for, but this Easter we made butter from the heavy whipping cream that I had set out overnight. I had the kids (which are in their early 20's) do the shaking because they had such disbelief about being able to do it. Our middle son asked where I heard about being able to do this, and I proudly said from the farmgirls. They just grin and say, oh. But you know what, we had fresh butter to spread on our biscuits. And then he thought it was such a great idea that he took the other carton found a jar and shook it up then added cinnamon sugar so that we would have cinnamon spread and it was VERY good. I think it was your talk about honey butter that made me think of this.

I hope it's something he tries again at his own house. It really is a cheaper way to have fresh butter, the heavy cream is a lot less expensive than buying the butter in sticks at $3.29+ a pound.

I do have a question, though, will it work the same if used to cook with or add to veggies? We put it in the frige and it gets really hard, so I suggested putting it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it and our son, made the comment, "you want me to melt what I just shook up from a liquid? Wasn't it just liquid a few minutes ago?" It did sound funny when he said it. So that's why I ask, about using it to cook with. Does it go back to heavy whipping cream or does the shaking change it enough to be used just like the butter you buy? I hope I'm not sounding too dumb here, I was just as amazed as he was, but don't know enough to know whether or not they are one in the same or if there are some properites of store-bought that make it more versatile.

If anyone can educate me on this one, that would be great. It was fun to do. I don't use enough butter on my own, but if it can be used for other things, then that would be reason enough to keep doing it. And I guess, I could find out by trial and error, too, but I like all of your insights and personal experiences even better.

Thanks much and God bless.

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  08:34:14 AM  Show Profile
I've always heard that honey is nature's perfect food. It keeps forever and is the only food (according to what I have read) that will not mold. I had read an article sometime ago with a long list of all the benefits of honey that was quite amazing. So we ususally have it on hand however, never long enough to test the mold theory. Anyway, for whatever it's worth, I keep mine stored in the cabinet. Have not tried mixing it with butter, though I do like it like that, too.

I don't remember what forum this was talked about and instructions given for, but this Easter we made butter from the heavy whipping cream that I had set out overnight. I had the kids (which are in their early 20's) do the shaking because they had such disbelief about being able to do it. Our middle son asked where I heard about being able to do this, and I proudly said from the farmgirls. They just grin and say, oh. But you know what, we had fresh butter to spread on our biscuits. And then he thought it was such a great idea that he took the other carton found a jar and shook it up then added cinnamon sugar so that we would have cinnamon spread and it was VERY good. I think it was your talk about honey butter that made me think of this.

I hope it's something he tries again at his own house. It really is a cheaper way to have fresh butter, the heavy cream is a lot less expensive than buying the butter in sticks at $3.29+ a pound.

I do have a question, though, will it work the same if used to cook with or add to veggies? We put it in the frige and it gets really hard, so I suggested putting it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it and our son, made the comment, "you want me to melt what I just shook up from a liquid? Wasn't it just liquid a few minutes ago?" It did sound funny when he said it. So that's why I ask, about using it to cook with. Does it go back to heavy whipping cream or does the shaking change it enough to be used just like the butter you buy? I hope I'm not sounding too dumb here, I was just as amazed as he was, but don't know enough to know whether or not they are one in the same or if there are some properites of store-bought that make it more versatile.

If anyone can educate me on this one, that would be great. It was fun to do. I don't use enough butter on my own, but if it can be used for other things, then that would be reason enough to keep doing it. And I guess, I could find out by trial and error, too, but I like all of your insights and personal experiences even better.

Thanks much and God bless.

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  09:42:05 AM  Show Profile
I ALWAYS have honey but it keeps in the cupboard just fine. Nuts I keep in the fridge. Never had honey go bad.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  10:03:59 AM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
Lynda, the butter you shook is just like the butter in the store...only better, use it as you would any butter. Also if your arms are like mine...too tied up to shake shake shake, pour the cream in the blender! Also good is crushed fresh garlic and oregano. The "left over" butter milk is great in biscuts and pancakes, (save the garlic for the biscuts,not good in pancakes!) I love to put cinnomon and honey in the blender with my cream to make butter for toast and the butter milk in some super yummy whole wheat pancakes. Enjoy being a quirky farmgirl!!

-Tami
now ladybugsmom7, the newest farm girl Danielle elizabethwas born March23, Danielle Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic NUTS AND HONEY Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page