SunshineDoc
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary Ann
Albany Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  10:27:07 AM  Show Profile
Wow! Good luck with your move, Ruthe -- my husband and I recently moved; and then promptly moved my parents to the area to help with their care. Argh. Yes - good opportunity to be "Mindful" -- and notice the wide range of possible emotions we have. LOL.

Which leads to -- one of the things I notice in teaching these Mindful Eating classes through the years is that a main reason people (we) eat when it is not food we need is this rebound effect we have from having had a negative, intense emotion -- which we then feel bad about. The self-degradation is more of a problem often than the original feeling! Learning self-acceptance in all the nuances of ourselves is truly part of the Joy of living! We then are filled with a warmth of contentment -- of just being ourSelves.

In response to our possibly getting together, I will be teaching a workshop in Minnesota at some point (it's in the process of getting organized) -- so that'll be somewhat closer. Meanwhile, I have a couple of workshops on the beautiful Oregon coast coming up! :) (www.maryannwallace.com)

Being mindful is a way of life - and health.
Mary Ann Wallace, MD
www.maryannwallace.com
Go to Top of Page

Ruthe
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  05:10:42 AM  Show Profile
What an interesting perception ~ that we often shove food in our mouths as a rebound effect to having a 'negative' or 'bad' feeling. I can certainly trace that understanding to my own mindless times of eating. When I'm feeling 'good', I eat well. When I'm feeling 'bad', I head right for the junk, which reinforces the 'bad' feeling even more! Never thought that I might be feeling badly because I'm 'feeling badly'! A pure cyclical rebound!! :) Fascinating!

Well, it seems we have something else in common. I am the full-time care-giver for my Mom, who lives with us and will be (hopefully) moving with us to Michigan. The move alone is daunting and when you add an aging parent into the process, it takes on a life of its own. Yes, the emotional aspects of all that are a lesson in mindfulness and patience and compassion and understanding and.....

There are days when I do a lot of weeping ~ over my own personal issues with all this as well as all the issues surrounding my Mom. Hauling my overactive mind back into submission is a challenge many times. If I were 'into' drugs, I'm sure I'd be on some by now!! :)

My husband used to drive truck over-the-road and often drove through Oregon. He LOVED it there and often talked about moving there...someday. If my life ever settles into some sort of functional routine, I'd love to attend one of your seminars in your home-state! Even a trip to Minnesota sounds good right now!!

Thanks again for sharing your insights and wisdom. It's always refreshing to hear your thoughts and perspective.

Blessings to you always!

Mindfully,

Ruthe

Live Life! Be Happy! Love Always!
Go to Top of Page

SunshineDoc
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary Ann
Albany Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  10:32:00 AM  Show Profile
In a radio interview yesterday (NW Passage, 4 pm - available on the web: KLCC - 89.7 FM), I was asked if Mindful Eating included being aware of where food is grown. I gave an emphatic "yes!"
Funny thing is that I don't usually even need to mention this in these classes. When we focus ever more deeply on the awareness of the food we eat, it seems we automatically start to ask certain questions and notice certain things. Like the LIFE of that which we take into our bodies. We start to notice -- if it is dead and full of poisons (designed to, of all things, keep it from "perishing" on the shelf!)we don't want it in our bodies.

Why shorten the shelf life of our own life for the sake of eating designer-color non-foods propped up with artificial chemicals?

And -- we notice if a food is dying a slow death because it's been trucked all over the 40 acres before it finally got to us. And we notice - the beautiful and abundant life and foodstuffs all around us! And THAT is what we start to get hungry for!

"Natural"

Peace to you ~

Mary Ann Wallace, MD
www.maryannwallace.com
Go to Top of Page

SunshineDoc
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary Ann
Albany Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  11:06:07 AM  Show Profile
I'm back - thinking about the many ways we can be mindful, such as:
Using What You Have, Where You Are

Although this sharing is about a lovely recipe I created by using the produce I found in our own back yard here in Oregon in late spring, the principles apply to so many dimensions of life. My husband and I like to eat local, seasonal food because it is a healthy way to live. It supports our thesis that reducing trucking emissions is good for the planet and us all, and the food is often tastier and feels like “real food”. What’s not to like?

I’ll share the recipe for your pleasure, should your back yard be producing something similar.

Cress and Oregano Pesto

Grind in a blender:

3 cups of a mixture of garden cress, garlic scapes and oregano
½ cup olive oil
2 large cloves of garlic
roughly 2 T. butter
3-4 T. walnuts
½ cup Parmesan Cheese
½ t. salt

It’s that simple, and the premise is that you can use whatever you have for those 3 cups of green material. It is YUMMY good! Try some spread on a piece of toast, or – the usual – with pasta.
The moral? Use what you have, where you are. It’s good for us all.

I blog at http://living-in-harmony2.blogspot.com/

Mary Ann Wallace, MD
www.maryannwallace.com
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2010 :  09:44:19 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Mary Ann,
so nice to have you join us here. YOu have some very interesting thoughts. I will have to read more carefully when I have a bit more time. Just wanted to welcome you.

blessings
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SunshineDoc
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary Ann
Albany Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  2:49:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone -- some of you have asked about Mindful Eating classes in your area. Some good news: I'll be featured as a guest on Thursday (7/15) on Voice America for an hour long show on How to Break the Eating Habits that Sabotage You. It's free - and a chance to phone in questions. I'm happy to share this with you! 7 AM PDT, 10 AM EDT --
www.voiceamerica.com

http://living-in-harmony2.blogspot.com/

Mary Ann Wallace, MD
www.maryannwallace.com
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlermom
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Melissa
Logan AL
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  4:16:09 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Mary Ann! So nice to have you here at the farm! It's so refreshing that with your education you realize that there's more that can be done for well being than a pill! I use herbs a lot. I make my own medicinal tinctures and they have been amazing! I treat a lot of conditions at home, but we will go see a doctor when needed.
Since August 2009, I've lost about 25lbs without even trying! I made very simple changes to my diet. I stopped eating refined sugar. I use evaporated cane juice crystals. (Organic of course!) I switched to coconut oil and olive oil for frying. The coconut oil is a solid at temps under 76, so I use it like a shortening so it makes great biscuits! I also drink raw milk and use homemade "real" butter. Just these changes and eating veggies and quality meats have made a huge difference in my health. (Also, the coconut oil is a wonderful skin moisturizer!) My whole family is getting "mindful" of what goes into their bodies! I look forward to reading more posts and your mindful eating book!
Blessings,
Melissa
Go to Top of Page

SunshineDoc
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary Ann
Albany Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  07:41:33 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Melissa! This is so marvelous - your story you shared. Yes. It makes a difference - this business of what and how we eat. (Duh, huh? LOL)
And - I love this web site - as well as Mary Jane's mag. It provides such a grounding place of "yes" to me - reflecting much of my own heritage, lifestyle and world-view in a way that I feel safe with "sibs" of shared nature.
Smiles to you, too-

Mary Ann Wallace, MD
www.maryannwallace.com
Go to Top of Page

Leilaht
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Elizabeth
Highland MI
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  08:31:59 AM  Show Profile
It is nice to see an allopath who actually understands that drugs aren't the answer! Most doctors are convinced that low-fat, sugar-free, grain loaded diet is the only way to be healthy. Unfortunately, they are killing their patients. Artificial sweeteners and transfats (margarine) are some of the deadliest things in processed foods. It always makes me wonder if they really want to cure their patients, or just treat them. Thank you for being you. Please continue helping people heal.

Liz

Strength and honor are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.

Proverbs 31:25
Go to Top of Page

loveladybugs
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Jeanette
Livonia Michigan
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  3:54:47 PM  Show Profile
Many Heartful Welcome Wishes May Ann, I have cured myself from Asthma with Young Living Peppermint Oil. I believe our health
starts out in the Colon. After witnessing people with health problems and curing myself from Asthma.
Have a dear friend who just moved to Oregon. Wish you were speaking in Michigan.
loveladybugs

Enjoy the simple things in life

Edited by - loveladybugs on Aug 08 2010 3:56:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  5:03:02 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
I am sooo happy you joined us. I have been a nurse for 42 years and the changes I've seen throughout the years are mostly not for the better. The Doctor is almost forced to order every test there is so he doesn't get sued for missing something. Greed has caused the ambulance chasers to force the doctors hand. Then there's the insurance companies who charge enormous premiums to cover for malpractice which in turn translates into higher cost of office visits and on and on.

Polypharmacy is alive and well. I have personally given 24 pills at one time to a patient. This same patient doesn't feel well but wants all her pills. They then wonder why they have costipation, loose bms, palpitations, heartburn, headaches, dizzyness, dry mouth, tingling in their feet and hands, excess sweating, losing their hair, chest pain and on and on. This in most cases causes the Doctor to order more pills or tests.
As a nurse it is far and few between that a Doctor will even listen to a nurse who suggests eliminating a few meds to see if the condition resolves itself. My health deteriorated the longer I worked. Show me a nurse who is not hypertensive, who has a good back and isn't overweight or thin as a skeleton. I never got a break. If you got lunch , without someone calling you back, it was a miracle. Eating whatever you could grab was usually what we ate. Not usually healthy. Put that together with double shifts and no peace and health issues abound.

I haven't worked since last December. I stopped feeling like I was going to have a stroke. I can sleep without any problems and I took myself off my strong BP med and then I went to my Doctor who said your Bp is fine stay off the med. I don't advocate for anyone reading this to do this without first seeing your Doctor. It was when I kept feeling like I was going to pass out that as a nurse I knew how to evaluate and address the situation. Best of all I no longer have Fibromyalgia. Less poison better health.

Bless you for all you do to promote a healthier mind and body we all need it.

Blessings,
Darlene
Sister 1922

The road to a friends house is never to long!
Go to Top of Page

SunshineDoc
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary Ann
Albany Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  8:31:34 PM  Show Profile
Bless you, Darlene - and a big Bingo. On so many fronts. We really must get back to the basic simplicity of healthy eating, knowing where our food comes from, supporting our neighbors in health, life and industry --- and not going the big box anything. Drugs. Insurance designed to keep off those most in need. All for profit. "Health care" ---- means something. Something very different than what it has become. Oh, the soap box I could get on (and am resisting).
I want, instead, just to share the focus of keeping it simple and sane. Grow healthy food. Eat healthy food. Have honest relations. With others -- and One's Self.

And -- so sorry for all you went through, too. It's unkind on many fronts.

blog at http://living-in-harmony2.blogspot.com/

Mary Ann Wallace, MD
www.maryannwallace.com
Go to Top of Page

SunshineDoc
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary Ann
Albany Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  10:20:17 AM  Show Profile
Speaking of eating seasonally --- If you garden, I’m sure you’ve encountered at some point in your illustrious efforts a full-bore attack of zucchini glut. I’ve been struggling of late with keeping my attitude of gratitude for abundance in the face of ever growing hordes of ever-enlarging zucchini.

You know what I mean.

Leaving completely out of this conversation the question as to whether I have a sufficient supply of good natured friends willing to divest me of this so-called bounty, I will steer us along the lines of a few good discoveries I’ve made about how to work up all this good stuff. (See? Am I displaying a great attitude or what?)

We often have zucchini for breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner! In one exemplary day recently, we had zucchini bread for breakfast, sautéed zucchini with zucchini flowers and basil and zucchini pickles for lunch with zucchini cookies for dessert, dried zucchini rounds for a mid afternoon snack and zucchini frittatas for dinner. That wasn’t all we had – but you get the idea.

I have, thus far, steamed, sautéed, minced, mashed, baked, broiled, boiled, dried, breaded, lasagna’d, omelette’d, cookie’d, cake’d and mixed zucchini with every imaginable combination and spice. Even zucchini juice is tasty. And – of course – we all know that a requisite in every Christmas basket from those such as us is a nice (un)frozen loaf of zucchini bread.

And then I found the standard recipe for dilly beans in one of Rodale's time honored ancient texts. My beans and I are getting along fine, thank you. But the zucchini. That’s where I’m in a pickle! Hmmm. Why not? It just so happens the renegade dill volunteering all over the garden and associated pathways are also rampant. Replace beans with squash and call them Dill Zucchini.

It worked! So – here’s the recipe only slightly modified with gratitude to those who have gone before us, bearing the fruit of their labors:

Dill Zucchini

4 pounds zucchini 1 garlic clove per pint jar
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper per pint jar 5 cups vinegar
½ tsp. whole mustard seed per pint jar 5 cups water
½ tsp. dill seed per pint jar ½ cup salt

Wash and cut zucchini into slices to fill pint jars. Pack slices into clean, hot jars; add pepper, mustard seed, dill seed, and garlic.
Combine vinegar, water, and salt; heat to boiling. Pour boiling liquid over the zucchini, filling jars but leaving ¼-inch headspace. Seal and process in a steam bath for 5 minutes.

Yum - What a dill!

Mary Ann Wallace, MD
www.maryannwallace.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Mindful Eating Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page