SunshineDoc
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary Ann
Albany Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  10:09:16 AM  Show Profile
Hello Farmgirls! I feel a little shy chatting without eye contact -- but Mary Jane's mag and words touch my true farmgirl roots so deeply, I've gotta jump on the wagon.

Organic was not a word I knew - it was just how we lived on the two acre self-sufficient farm where I grew up. It was what was done. Clean out the cow and horse barn, the chicken coop and the pigeon aviary -- and dump the stuff where it did some good. Take the scraps from the garden produce and feed the animals. Save every little scrap for whatever else it might be good for.

It was a way of life.

I've gone through many cycles since then, but always, always I've had something growing - in a pot if need be - but something I could cut and bring to the table. It was an essential way of my life. This kept me grounded through medical school and other endeavors.

And then - when I started seeing patients in the clinic - I became increasingly aware that the LACK of this sort of life was the root of so much of what ails people! Fast forward. I've devoted my life, now, to the discussion and teaching of the most basic of health practices - which when properly executed starts to feel like a spiritual practice. Paying attention. Slowing down. Avoiding poisons (in their MANY forms!) Eating true to nature. And - my most recent book: "Mindful Eating". So simple. So sane. And so helpful. (see www.maryannwallace.com)

I hope to hear from you. I hope to have an impact for true health that returns us to our roots. Let me know what you think! Joy to you!

Being mindful is a way of life - and health.
Mary Ann Wallace, MD
www.maryannwallace.com

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  10:29:19 AM  Show Profile
Mary Ann its so nice to have you here. You have some very interesting information. What would you do if you had a couple come in that were both taking alot of med's for heart, diabetes, cholestrol, RA and several other problems? Would you cut them all out and start the natural healing or combine the two until they were off of the meds? Very interested to know!I've often given it alot of thought. Feel that the med's could be causing more problems that helping.
Thank you,

Brenda

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony" Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Laila
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Laila
Kutztown PA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  10:36:51 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Mary Ann. I wish you were on the east coast. Your book sounds very interesting. I will check out your web site.

Laila
Go to Top of Page

SunshineDoc
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary Ann
Albany Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  10:41:59 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Brenda, for your kind words!

In response to your question, I think it is important to see the whole of what is going on with a person - IOW - in the situation you described, what the individuals are dealing with INCLUDES the medications they are on. So to stop everything abruptly could be irresponsible. It is likely the medications are causing side effects - most do -- but it is important to go more slowly -- ascertain what is worse as we go - the side effects from the meds or the original problem prompting the medications in the first place.

My experience has been that meds are over-prescribed, but to reduce the chemical load there has to be a concerted dedication to a healthy life-style. Not all want to do that. But -- when we do, there is truly a greater freedom in life! In the examples you offered, most would be affected positively by lifestyle!

Mary Ann Wallace, MD
www.maryannwallace.com
Go to Top of Page

SunshineDoc
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary Ann
Albany Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  10:47:58 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Laila! So kind. I do travel, actually - and have a workshop on Mindful Eating in the works in Minnesota (OK, OK that't not exactly the east coast - LOL -- but from here, it's way over there. ) -- date yet to be determined.
Perhaps we'll meet some day. All the best to you ~

Mary Ann Wallace, MD
www.maryannwallace.com
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  11:31:36 AM  Show Profile
Mary Ann if you ever travel to Missouri, I'd love to hear about it and meet you!
Blessings, Brenda

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony" Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

SunshineDoc
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary Ann
Albany Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  11:49:47 AM  Show Profile
You've got it, Brenda! I'll keep this in my file and let you know!

Mary Ann Wallace, MD
www.maryannwallace.com
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  2:13:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi, SunshineDoc. Noticed that you are in Albany, OR. Will you be at the Northwest Horse Expo this weekend? I will be going on Saturday. Maybe we could hook up and say hi. I'm from Glide.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  6:11:03 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Hello Mary Ann and Welcome! I would also be interested in your workshop. Would that be in Rochester, MN by any chance? I believe that would be about a two hour drive for me.... I think I could handle that. Let us know when that workshop is set and where, ok? Glad to have you.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog...Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

theprimitivepilgrim
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Michelle
Baggs Wyoming
USA
217 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  8:25:56 PM  Show Profile
Hello Mary Ann,

So nice to see you here, and thank you for joining us on MJF. Visited your website, and would love to be able to attend one of your workshops. Your new book looks very helpful, actually, all of your books and cd's look wonderful.

You look to be a very gentle spirit, the kind of doctor we all wish we could have~

~Michelle

Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  05:21:09 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Mary Ann, we are so glad you joined us! It is wonderful to see a Doctor who believes in natural food and healing rather than prescribing pills. Every Doctor I go to just seems to be on the payroll of the drug companies. I have RA and am on methotrexate but nothing else. I think that if I would have started this living more simply and more naturally lifestyle years ago, I probably wouldn't have it. I do belive it was caused by three years of heavy stress and not eating properly. Glad to have you on board.

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  05:51:25 AM  Show Profile
Yes, definitely let us know where that MN workshop is. I'm excited!!! Cool things hardly ever come here!! Glad to see you here on MJF - sounds like you have a wealth of great information!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SunshineDoc
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary Ann
Albany Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  10:10:33 AM  Show Profile
OK - imagine this -- a curly red-haired doctor (looks like any other farmgirl - grins) with a ponytail, jumping up and down with a great big grin on her face 'cause she feels so embraced by the likes of her!
This is so COOL! Thank you each and every one for your warm response(s) --

And before I forget - Loyce, thank you so much for the invite to meet - the thought of the Horse Expo brought back a flood of memories. I practically lived on the back of a horse in my teen years. Well. If truth be told, I was often being wafted through the air, headed to another collision with a piece of sod. "Queenie" and I had -- shall we say -- an off again, on again sort of relationship. LOL All this to say, I won't be there, but send you a basket of gratitude just the same.

These days, I'm more or less holding true to a few fewer things on my plate - and focus on (professionally) leading workshops designed to bringing gentle folk back to their hearts and the sort of basic living that spells good health and happy minds; and personally, tending my garden, husband, friendship circle, a few animals, and (well, OK) a whole bevy of crafty ideas that threaten to run amok at any second.

Speaking of which (re: tending the family acre+) - I've been applying the aspect of Mindful Eating in my life lately in the creative ways of eating locally (from my backyard) as much as possible by trying to figure out how to use all the dozens of quarts of canned plums and frozen figs from LAST year before this year's crops start pushing out. So --- this phenomenon of the basic fruit pie has an infinite variety of options! Wow. Try this combo: figs, plums, dates, raisins, with additional sweetener of your choice (we're keen on agave for the low glycemic index) -- YUMMMY!

Grins.

Lovin' this -- and Julie and Amy, I'll definitely keep your info for that Minnesota trip! And, Michelle --- well, this is a long shot - but I'm teaching two workshops on the Oregon coast (in April and May) ---- if you feel like a get-away -
Hugging you each --

Mary Ann Wallace, MD
www.maryannwallace.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  7:21:41 PM  Show Profile
Mary Ann--how nice to have you on board. I've been trying to eat mindfully for the past year or so--I've almost eliminated meat from my diet, and currently I'm cutting back on soda and drinking tea (herbal and green) instead. I feel so much better already just from making those two changes. I'd love to see you if you're ever in the St. Louis area. I KNOW that I can make this work, it just requires being aware, and being gentle with yourself. I'm learning to stop judging myself and stop judging others. I'm trying to accept everyone I meet as they are, even when their behavior is unacceptable. I'm glad that you are here and look forward to reading more of your posts.
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

SunshineDoc
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary Ann
Albany Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  10:48:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi Cindy ~ wonderful things you are doing -- these few sentences you wrote are really the crux of much of what ails folks these days! To wit:
- much of advertising is designed to make us feel discontent (so we will buy something to make us feel better) -- this leads to a feeling of emptiness; not enough - the sensations of which can mimic hunger. Eating as nurturance is a common phenomenon!
- and - feeling "not enough" spurs a cyclic judgment circle. Of others. Of ourselves. Which -- you guessed it -- deepens the gaping sense of emptiness. More food.
- and then there is the just plain being too busy. I mean, let's face it! The Energizer Bunny is a national hero and multi-tasking has taken on the proportions of a religious activity! People are hired on the basis of that ability - and if it is possible to chow down a burger while continuing to work the desk all the better.

Not good for the human waistline, never mind the spirit! So -- this call to slow down, notice, appreciate, accept self as is -- love life in its nuances of Itself. Aaaah -- so good for us ALL.

Joy to you!

Mary Ann Wallace, MD
www.maryannwallace.com
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1668 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1668 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  8:07:02 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Mary Ann, It's so glad to see that you come to join us. Great ideas you have. I like to get my hands in the dirt and basically everything from scratch. Much, much healthier for one's mind and body. When I feel stressed to the limit I just take time to meditate and everything can just wait for about 15 to 30 minutes. Yes if you buy something to make you feel better or eat something it can get out of control. A person needs to be in control of oneself if at all possible. If one feels down just go outside and see all the wonderful things nature has and you will feel better is my motto.
Hugs,
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

SunshineDoc
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary Ann
Albany Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  09:50:51 AM  Show Profile
Oh so beautiful, Laurie - so beautiful. I smile just sinking into the "yes" as I read what you wrote.
I was contemplating this morning -- how being Mindful includes so many things. Including the attidude of our mind as we gaze about us. Sort of the filter through which we see things.
For example, I came to the computer just now from the kitchen. Breakfasting, cleaning, straightening -- and my gaze happened upon the film of dust accumulated on the stove hood. (Know what I mean? :))

I paused for a moment. It's a sunny day. Gorgeous. With daffodils smiling up from their sunny bonnets - and I feel in a generally good mood. So - today when I saw the dust, I simply -- (cheerfully!) -- grabbed my dust-fuzzy and swiped it off; thinking about how I was adding to the beauty and sense of order in the room. It all felt good. In place - in harmony. In keeping with my mood.

And I reflected on how on another day seeing that same dust would have simply added to my bushel basket of the heavies -- fueling my discouragement and propelling me to go plunk in a chair somewhere feeling basically overwhelmed by too much to do.

Amazing, huh?
Being mindful --- even of what clutters the mind through which we view the world.

Later, farmgirls! Joy to you ~

Mary Ann Wallace, MD
www.maryannwallace.com
Go to Top of Page

SunshineDoc
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary Ann
Albany Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2010 :  09:47:26 AM  Show Profile
I've been leading groups, lately, centering in on being Mindful. It's just another way to say "paying attention". Which is central to happiness. It cuts in so many directions, really. When we're paying attention to our "inner climate" we notice when we're feeling "off" before somebody's comments throws us off completely. -- And we know to take time out to regroup. When we're paying attention to the outer - we make less mistakes, and begin (amazingly) to feel more and more grateful. For the little things. For the every-thing! So much to be grateful for when we slow down to notice. Just notice.

What I've noticed in these Mindful Eating classes I teach is that, at the heart of most people's eating habits are the myriad ways they feel that have nothing to do with eating for the sake of calorie-intake. Meeting the unmet needs of so many other forms of emptiness and "hunger" - we are eating ourselves into a state of oblivion. To cover it all up.

So, on it goes. I hope you each are happily basking in the Spring energy of warmth, sun and daffodils!

Mary Ann Wallace, MD
www.maryannwallace.com
Go to Top of Page

SunshineDoc
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary Ann
Albany Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  12:15:34 PM  Show Profile
Just returned from a trip to the coast. Mindfulness. I noticed the pocks of houses lining a few of the formerly verdant hillsides. It reminds me of a cancerous growth. Life in its native state wiped clean to allow for houses -- and development to the tune of dollars in somebody's bank-book.
What does this have to do with Mindful Eating? I believe if we pay attention to what goes in our mouths and where it comes from, it inevitably brings us back to a sense of place. Of life in its place. Of gratitude for the living - as it is - and as it must be to continue to provide sustenance to us all long-term.
It worries me that so many seem blind to the ravages of life in their pursuit of growth and profit.
Ramblings of the mind, returned to home from recent travels ~

Mary Ann Wallace, MD
www.maryannwallace.com
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  12:55:36 PM  Show Profile
Dr. Wallace,

So nice to meet you here! I just went to your site and those books and cds sound interesting! Especially the Basic Meditations and the Beyond Pain Relief and of course the 'Mindful Eating - Mindful Life'. I look forward to getting to know you!

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  1:02:17 PM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
You insite is still different then others. Of late I have seen a naturist who does eye readings and beleives in herbs and also the book of (eating for your blood type) For years I have been to a Chiropractor for neck and back problems. So please keep us informed as to the way your ideas can help. I am also very glad you have joined us girls. Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

SunshineDoc
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary Ann
Albany Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  09:51:09 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Elaine! I checked out your blogspot, too - Wow! You've had quite the experience! So much we go through, eh? This traversing our years, here on planet Earth. Love your Spirit in it all.
And, thank you, Lilly, for your comments, too. Looks like you've been exposed to some great ideas along the way.

Which leads to: really, the conventional medical system doesn't have all the answers! As an MD, I am grateful for the in-depth training. I love knowing what I do. But -- it just isn't the end-all when it comes right down to basically clean, healthy living!

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, paying attention to our lives, noticing and choosing wisely what we eat and how we spend our time -- these things are the basis of good health -- NOT seeing the doctor! Truly, medical training is all about pathology. My fascination has been revolving around what and how do we optimize this Blessed Life we have?? I love encouraging people (all of us - I have to remember this, too) to quiet down, notice, feel gratitude for the amazing "stuff" right in front of us! This promotes health. It literally changes the chemistry of our mind and bodies! Is this great stuff or what?

My notes for today.

Mary Ann Wallace, MD
www.maryannwallace.com
Go to Top of Page

Ruthe
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  04:15:46 AM  Show Profile

Hi Mary Ann,

I loved reading your comments! You sound like a true kindred spirit!

While I am not a medical doctor, I have worked professionally in Alternative/Natural Health Care for over 30 years. Much of what you say certainly rings true for me, as I have shared similiar encouragement with hundreds of clients over the years.

I figured out, long ago, that even in the alternative/natural health care field, people can still be caught in 'mindlessness'. As long as we're constantly looking outside of ourselves for our 'salvation' and healing, we are, as you say, constantly trying to fill an inner void with outer 'stuff', albeit natural stuff.

I am not a buddhist either, but I do appreciate their focus on 'mindfulness', and have learned a lot from bringing that into my own life and awareness.

I think that being well is more a state of mind and heart, rather then which nutritional supplements, herbs or homeopathics one takes. Don't get me wrong...those natural remedies most definitely have their place and I would choose those over conventional medicine's drugs at all costs (when possible), but I know from experience that those, too, can become a crutch when people are still caught in the mindset of 'fixing what's wrong' without supporting what's 'right'! Does that make sense??

And to me, what's right, is all the things you talk about!!

My favorite comment to people when they ask, "What can I do to get well?" is - BREATHE! :) First and foremost...BREATHE! Beyond that, all that you suggest has been the drum I've beaten for many, many years!

When people are ready, they embrace it with open arms. When they're not quite there yet, it can sound too simple. "Isn't there a pill or something I can take?? :) "Yes!! The 'pill' of mindfulness!"

Thank you a thousand times over for being a part of MJF!!! I know you will touch hundreds of lives in a very positive and deeply meaningful way!! You are on the cutting-edge of the new face of health care!! All good and wonder-filled blessings be yours!!

Mindfully,

Ruthe

Live Life! Be Happy! Love Always!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  07:38:54 AM  Show Profile
What a great post. And so very timely too. Thanks. I do not like "doctors". I only go if there is nothing else to be done. The last time I went I had some blood work done and the doctor I saw is more on the altrernative side. I do like her. She told me my cholesterol was a little high. Not much but a little. Of course she had to tell me I needed to be on cholesterol meds. I said no thank you. She then said I need to watch what I eat, excercise, and take fish oil. So I do. But I was glad she did not push the meds. I am not going to do that route as long as I can help it. I know what I need to do. I am not stupid. I just need to do it. I grow 90% of what we eat. We have goats for fresh milk. Chickens for eggs and meat. We just put a grass fed steer in the freezer not long ago. So I know all the right things to do. But I HATE to excercise! Just hate it. I will walk. I do work in the gardens most of the day during the seasons. I am active.

So I will keep checking in here to see what's going on. Thanks for all the great advice and help from all of you.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

SunshineDoc
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Mary Ann
Albany Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  5:42:21 PM  Show Profile
Ditto, Ruthe! ~ Kindred Spirit ~ So glad to hear/read your kind, soothing words. We obviously "get" the same picture. In what part of the US do you live? Maybe we can connect some day -
And, thank you, Kris! So obviously "on path". :)

I notice it is easiest to stay Mindful when I give myself permission to do one task at a time -- and to get started with it. I easily rev up to match the prevailing speed of the stream of life around me (and that's WITHOUT ever watching TV -- Lord, could you imagine??), and in so doing feel a bit of anxiety which translates into a restlessness. Wondering what I "should" be doing. Not able to focus on one thing because I'm too busy trying to figure out what that one thing should be. There are so many (too many) options to choose from!

I notice that when I just start - doing - one thing at a time and completely concentrate ON that one thing, the whole mind chatter slows down, too. By the end of - whatever it is (and it can be as simple as doing a load of laundry or as complex as really getting into re-weaving the bottom of that old rocking chair I love but can't sit in anymore), I really and truly feel better. More focused, because I AM more focused - less scattered, and more in love with Life again.

Which is a very good place to be and to be breathing from. :)
Love to you each - and Happy Easter!

Mary Ann Wallace, MD
www.maryannwallace.com
Go to Top of Page

Ruthe
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  05:42:22 AM  Show Profile
How wonderful to hear from you, Mary Ann, and Kris! I so love the ability to connect with like-minded 'sisters'! It is a huge lift to my day!!

I was born and raised, and at present, still live in NW Ohio, Mary Ann, but will soon be in Kalamazoo, MI. Not of my own choosing, but my husband's job promo is taking us there. Michigan is a beautiful state, so there are many things I am looking forward to there.

However...moving from one's roots and life-long connections is not an easy path. It has been an immense opportunity to practice mindfulness, though! :) It's amazing to find how simply one can live and be happy with much less 'stuff'!

I, too, catch myself drifting off into anxiety and stress whenever I look at all that STILL has to be sorted, pitched, given away and packed! But as you say, focusing on one task at a time creates peace and gives me a great sense of accomplishment over the completion of even tiny little endeavors.

I obviously need LOTS of practice on that since it has arisen in my life, but it works...when I am 'mindful'. :)

I would LOVE to connect with you, Mary Ann. I gather from your comments that you're a west coast dweller? If you think you might ever be near Michigan, I'll do what I can to find you! I suspect we'd have a lot to talk about!!

In the meantime...create an amazing and wonder-filled week! May the blessing of New Life be a constant part of your days!

Mindfully,

Ruthe

P.S. Kudos to you Kris!! Be gentle with yourself. You are doing GREAT!!! Life is not about perfection in anything we do. Life is about being 'mindful' of all that we do. I'd say you're well on that path!! :)

Live Life! Be Happy! Love Always!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Mindful Eating Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page