Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 So now that we have a rooster....um....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic So now that we have a rooster....um.... Next Topic  

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  8:31:04 PM  Show Profile
So now that we have rescued the rooster from the flood...we...um, have a rooster. We weren't planning on having a rooster. The plan was to have laying hens. That's it. For eatin' eggs.

And now we have Mr. Brownie Ba-gawk, the rooster.
We're obviously keeping him.

So here's the thing I need someone to explain to me. And go ahead and chuckle if I sound completely clueless. If I have a rooster...and I have hens...obviously there's gonna be some lovin' taking place. I know that if there is a rooster, you need to candle the eggs. So....how does this all work? (Not the egg candling part, I get that part.) Is Mr Brownie Ba-gawk going to turn all of my six layers into Mamas? Is it kind of a hit and miss thing? Is this a possibility all year long? If I want to be guaranteed enough eatin' eggs to keep my family happy, do I need to keep Mr. Brownie Ba-gawk separate? If he's with the gals, will there be some fertilized eggs and some not?

Am I asking too many dumb questions?
Whenever my hubby asks me something I haven't yet learned about the chickens, I always say I'll ask the farmgirls. So here I am.... :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  11:26:02 PM  Show Profile
Never dumb questions! I have had laying hens with and without a rooster. If you collect them fresh everyday and refrigerate them, you'll never know which are fertilized and which aren't. Some folks tell me they're healthier fertilized, personally I prefer not to think about it! :) But I do have those customers that prefer them...go figure!
Di
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  08:15:59 AM  Show Profile
The reason for candleing eggs is to see if they contain fetilized embyos. If you collect you eggs every day, non will hatch. If one goes broody (they may or may not) you can choose to let her sit on the eggs. At this point you may want to candle them to get rid of any non-fetilized eggs. That way you dont get any rotten eggs in the coop. Any fertilized eggs will hatch in about 21 days.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic So now that we have a rooster....um.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page