mommakatof2
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

nieki
dalhart texas
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  10:55:00 AM  Show Profile
I really need some help making noodles. i just got one of the attachments for my kitchen aid mixer, but everytime i make any noodles they just turn into a gooey mess. i've tried all kinds of recipes and still can't get it right. can anyone help me? i would really appreciate the help and i'm sure my family would too.
thanks...nieki

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  12:01:35 PM  Show Profile
Do you lay them out to dry before you try to cook them? I always let mine dry for an hour or two before trying to cook them. You might try that.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  12:08:39 PM  Show Profile
Did you get the meat grinder disks or the pasta roller and cutters? It sounds like you may need more flour if they're coming out gooey.

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4238 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4238 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  11:39:05 AM  Show Profile
Ahh I know what you are talking about. You need more flour. I have put the dough through the pasta maker, and could not seperate the noodles, they where too sticky. So I work more flour into the noodles, and put them though again. Spagetti noodles are the hardest to do. Keep trying. You can also put the dough through and then let the noodles dry out for a while, then put them through again. It really is worth the trouble,cause homemade is so much better tasting. I think.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  07:18:58 AM  Show Profile
let the dough rest before you start rolling it as well.

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Emily
Chambersburg PA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  07:31:56 AM  Show Profile
I never had one of those things for my appliance. But I found hanging them over a spring rod overnight helps them stay away from each other.

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  11:11:08 AM  Show Profile
Hi Nieki, I have the roller and cutter for my Kitchenaid too. I've made tons of noodles with mine and love the results! Here's what I do maybe it'll help....
First find a good (and easy) recipe (I'm at work now or I would share mine with you, I'll try to remember to post it later). The recipe I use has me wrap the dough and let it sit for 30 minutes before doing anything else with it. Then I slice the dough ball into 1/2" ovals, sometimes I halve those. Then I really get liberal with the flour! I flour the first oval of dough on both sides and then send it through the rollers on the first setting several times, maybe something like 6 times and you may need to do it more, fold the dough in half and keep flouring the dough as you go when it starts to feel a little sticky again. You should start to notice a big difference in the feel of the dough. The first setting (number one) is the most forgiving and you should take advantage of it to get your dough un-sticky (I made that word up special).
Anyway, after that I flour before sending it through each setting and I only send it through the rest of the settings once. If you decide to send it through a setting more than once be sure to fold the dough in half before you send it through again. Also, I only go up to 6, but that's just a personal preference. Then I make sure both sides of the sheet are good and floured before I fold them for cutting (I don't have the patience to send them through the cutters after all that so I just cut them up with a, you guessed it, floured knife!).
After all of my 'dough ovals' are rolled I cut them and seperate them, again no patience, I let them dry in a loose pile! But hanging them would propably be nicer....
Making noodles this way I've been able to (and usually do) cook them up before they have dried, just watch them in the pot you can see their color change slightly and they'll look cooked, maybe 3 minutes or so.
Hope that helps!

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
~Thomas Edison~
Sister #1213
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  10:02:59 AM  Show Profile
I am making noodles right now! But I use my Gma and Aunt's old recipe and roll out by hand. Slice into long thin strips and lay to dry for most of the day. It has never failed! Putting them in a pot of chicken stew I have on the stove later! Its snowing here so I am having a 'comfort food' baking day!! I do want to get a pasta machine one day tho.

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

mommakatof2
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

nieki
dalhart texas
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  09:31:33 AM  Show Profile
thanks everyone. i will try again and let you all know how it goes.
Go to Top of Page

mommakatof2
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

nieki
dalhart texas
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  11:49:03 AM  Show Profile
i completely forgot to tell you, i have the extruder kind. the one that comes with the disc and grinder attachment.
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  11:56:58 AM  Show Profile
Yeah...I've had friends that have had the same exact problem with the "playdoh" disk kind of attachments. I've heard that more flour can help a bit, but really, I have the roller and cutter attachment and it makes the BEST pasta! I would recommend it any day. I hope you have better luck soon, Nieki.

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

mommakatof2
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

nieki
dalhart texas
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  12:18:59 PM  Show Profile
All your sugestions worked. I actually made noodles last night that didn't turn to mush. I just added a little more flour and made the dough a lot dryer. Yeah!!Noodles! Thanks everyone for your help.
Go to Top of Page

jelliott
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Jennifer
Athol Idaho
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  12:40:29 PM  Show Profile
It is a family tradition to make lasagna from scratch, starting with the noodles. We enjoy just putting four out on the countertop and tossing in the eggs and going for it. Then we have a hand turned noodle press. Kids and everyone here gets into it and then while they are drying we make the sauces and put it all together letting it bake all day and then we cut and eat. YUMMMMMM

If music be the food of Love, play on. Wm. Shakespeare
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - May 09 2010 :  6:27:17 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have a recipe to share? I would love to try make homemade noodles/spaggitte noodles. I have never made them before. Sounds lots of fun..
Farmgirl sister Debra

Kind HEARTS are the gardens.
Kind THOUGHTS are the roots.
Kind words are the flowers.
Kind DEEDS are the fruits.
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  04:50:11 AM  Show Profile
I agree that noodles are fun to make. I've been making them the old fashioned way with the rolling pin and sharp knife. I think it would be fun to use the pasta maker. I usually make egg noodles rather than pasta noodles because I just love homemade chicken-noodle soup.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  2:03:34 PM  Show Profile
Here's the one I love to use:

2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1/4 c. water
1 T. olive oil
1 t. salt

Put all in food processor fitted with blade. Process until dough rides up in the middle, 30 seconds. Knead for 5 minutes on lightly floured surface or until smooth and elastic (you could probably use a stand mixer for this part if you want). Form into a ball and wrap in plastic, let sit for 30 minutes before you roll and cut using a pasta roller/cutter. Cook fresh pasta for only 1 or 2 minutes.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
~Thomas Edison~
Sister #1213

www.thecapriciouscorgi.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  7:13:19 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for sharing your recipe. Looking forward to trying it this week.
Have a great night.
Debra

Kind HEARTS are the gardens.
Kind THOUGHTS are the roots.
Kind words are the flowers.
Kind DEEDS are the fruits.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic i need noodle help. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page