graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  7:57:58 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I picked up a book at the library, the title looked interesting, the story sounded good, and when I started to read it I really found it to be not very well written but - and this is the part I'm wondering if anyone else does - I kept reading, and kept on trying. I put it down at least 6 times because the author's style was driving me nuts, then felt compelled to pick it back up because I had to finish what I started. Anybody else finish books they don't like just to finish them? I actually have given up on this particular book, I just can't do it, but that might be a first for me. (I'm not going to say what book it is in case it is somebody's favorite, although it is pretty obscure so probably not:))
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  8:41:00 PM  Show Profile
I have so little time for reading and so it the book doesn't grab me pretty hard I give it up.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  8:58:11 PM  Show Profile
Sometimes I'll start reading a book but the style doesn't grab me, so I'll put it down and forget about it. Then, a few years later, I'll find it and start reading it and it's better. don't know why, but it's happened a number of times.
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  9:03:07 PM  Show Profile
I always try to finish books. I feel bad if I don't, and I end up picking it back up, starting over, and finishing.
God's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  9:50:36 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
well to be honest I just put it down and forget about it. lol Sorry! I try so hard to finish it but find that I just can't do it.
Hugs,
channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  05:24:16 AM  Show Profile
My unwritten rule is give it 90-100 pages and if I still can't get into it then I'm done. I know what you mean about feeling bad though, sometimes I feel that way, too.

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  08:23:25 AM  Show Profile
So many books, so little time.
I once read that you should try to get though 20% of a book before giving up on it. I try to do that, but...... there are just so many other things I want to read
Sometimes I will go back to a book months later and love it and don't know why I didn't like it the first time.
Bad timing, mood, weather, who knowa
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  09:08:56 AM  Show Profile
I sometimes do that, but most times I put it away and maybe try again later :)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  10:47:40 AM  Show Profile
I made it halfway through, just can't keep on, the guilt is killing me though:D
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

corabela
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Laura
Mount Vernon Ohio
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  11:22:21 AM  Show Profile
What a weird coincidence...I was just talking about this with an older friend on Friday. She mentioned having this problem her whole life and has recently come to the conclusion that life is too short to read a book you don't even like just for the sake of finishing it.

I never finished Catcher in the Rye for exactly that reason.

~Laura

Please stop by my blog and my etsy site and say hello : )

www.corabela.blogspot.com
www.corabela.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  11:34:43 AM  Show Profile
Ususally I just quit reading it. But, the one author I won't do that with is Stephen King. I have found that he always starts out pretty slow and then just when you think oh to heck with this it just keeps getting more and more interesting.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  08:47:37 AM  Show Profile
I've done that quite a few times. And sometimes I will finish them just because I've read to about the middle and I feel that I 'have' to finish it. There's an author that has written a series lately that I had a very hard time just finishing the first one. I didn't care for her writing style at all, I just couldn't get into them. But they are so popular I felt it must just be me so I had to at least finish the first one. Thank goodness they have and are being made into movies. Because the storyline of these books is very good, it was just the author's style that I couldn't get into.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  6:27:11 PM  Show Profile
That's exactly how I felt about this book Lainey - I could see what the author was trying to accomplish, it was a great storyline, and yes, I would like to find out what happens but her technique just didn't cut it.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  6:51:17 PM  Show Profile
Been there, done that and want those hours of my life back!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  05:17:21 AM  Show Profile
Yep, do that too. I joined a neighborhood book club several years ago, and find I do that alot because we simply don't have the same taste in books, but it is hard to be in the discussion without having read the entire thing. Yep, the guilt gets me. Isn't that funny how we women do that?

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  04:47:42 AM  Show Profile
I find that there are times when certain books and I just aren't on the same page (ha!)...It was that with Willa Cather's My Antonia. I think I picked that book up 3 times before I had that "a ha!" moment and really loved it. I gave it to my mil the next week after finishing it, and oddly enough, she had the very same experience...just couldn't get into it.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  7:20:39 PM  Show Profile
I wish books came with "movie ratings". I have an easier time reading poorly written books then books with too much language, sex, violence, blah, blah. I am embarrassed that my name is recorded as checking out these books from the library. I know, I'm in the minority nowadays to care about these things.

Penny
www.peafarm.weebly.com
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  6:50:53 PM  Show Profile
That's a great idea Penny. I feel the same way.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  06:08:05 AM  Show Profile
Amy, There are so many great books out there and not enough time to read that I don't finish a book if I don't like it. What I have found, though, is that some books I don't enjoy reading, I have liked when read TO ME as a book on tape or CD, and vice versa. I've loved some books in print and not as an audio book (this happens when the author reads as opposed to a professional actor or actress or reader). Crazy, but true. There are books that I love and recommend that others say they couldn't get into or ploughed through, and I've felt the same way about books (movies too) that others rave about. And sometimes it's timing. I've gone back to certain books in different times of my life and I guess I was more open or ready for them. I'm curious...WHAT is the book??? Your Farm Friend, Dianne

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  08:49:10 AM  Show Profile
I do and I often hate myself for doing it because I feel like I am wasting my time but I hate to give up. Even if it is AWFUL I will always finish it.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Do you do this? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page