Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Help with hard boiling fresh eggs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Help with hard boiling fresh eggs Next Topic
Page: of 2

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  12:32:36 PM  Show Profile
I'm having troubles getting my fresh eggs to come out of the shell when I hard boil them.

I had been told that fresh eggs don't hard boil well, to let them "age". So I have a carton set aside in the fridge, that I fill and then wait about 2 weeks.

I tried again. They still didn't peel well.

I checked all the little tips I have been told. Start with cold water. Salt the water. Cool water when they are done. Watch the timer like a hawk, don't over boil.

Tried again. Still didn't peel well. The yolks were greenish on the outside, which means I over cooked them.

Placed some in the fridge for 2 days (another tip I had found) to fully chill. One out of the dozen left peeled OK. Not a whole lot better than the rest. Just OK.

When I peel them a fair portion of the white comes off with the shells. So the eggs look very...dimply. Half eaten!
I'd like to get his solved prior to Easter's hard boiled eggs. And I would love to finally be able to present a pretty tray of Deviled eggs!

Please Help!!

Alicia

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson

www.blondenak.blogspot.com
www.artfire.com/users/BlondeNakCreations

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  12:37:33 PM  Show Profile
Have you tried adding salt to the water when boiling the eggs? Might work....

"The best mirror is an old friend."
- George Herbert

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
www.andsewitgoes.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  12:40:26 PM  Show Profile
Yep. I've varied from a little salt to a fair amount of salt.
Luckily hubby doesn't mind eating dimply hard boiled eggs. But I'd like em prettier!

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  12:42:39 PM  Show Profile
Try Vinegar not salt - just a little.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  1:00:39 PM  Show Profile
My grandma shared this with me and it works really well. Cover the eggs about 1 inch with cold water. Put on a burner and bring to a boil. As soon as the boil starts, turn the burner off, cover the pot, and leave it on the "off" burner for 20-30 minutes. Can't hurt but try.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  1:35:21 PM  Show Profile
Kelly , thats the way I do them, and Alicia let them age about 3-4 weeks

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  1:46:32 PM  Show Profile
Thankx ladies. I'll give it another go! :)

Alicia

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  5:28:42 PM  Show Profile
Oof - I have struggled with this too - I had a recommendation to just barely crack them before boiling them - haven't tried it though. We had so many eggs I was going to take deviled eggs for Thanksgiving - after 11 dimpled/cratered eggs which took me forever I gave up and made egg salad
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

OneCraftyBugger
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

R

USA
626 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  7:39:11 PM  Show Profile
I peal mine under running cold water and it really seems to help

Oh happy day!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFeltedGnome
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  03:59:27 AM  Show Profile
The last time I was buying fresh eggs from a friend of mine, I remember her telling me to add cream of tartar to the eggs when boiling them to peel. It was just a little bit, but it really worked. I'll see if I can find out how much and come back to tell you!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  05:20:56 AM  Show Profile
i let mine "age" in a cool place in the house for 3-4 days that seems to work for me

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  11:17:07 AM  Show Profile
i'm glad this topic came up... i have the same problem, but forgot to ask for a solution. Alicia, you'll have to let us know what worked best for you...

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  4:19:51 PM  Show Profile
I'll try again tomorrow. Wow, today is already gone!!
Melanie- I "age" them in the fridge. Perhaps that's too cold??
I'll try some with the vinegar and some with the cream of tartar. And the tip about turning off the heat as soon as they come to a boil and then leave them sit there.
Fingers crossed!! :)

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  09:11:39 AM  Show Profile

Alicia,

I am having the very same problem that you are having. It is so discourging especially when you want a lovely tray of deviled eggs and half the white stays stuck in the shell. I will be checking back to see if anyone can come up with any ideas to help, because I have tried almost everything!

Smiles...

Judy

Love as if there is no tomorrow!!!

"Country Girl at Heart"...
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4186 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4186 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  10:33:22 AM  Show Profile
Try steaming the eggs. That works well for my fresh eggs. I just use my steamer basket. Just trying to remember for how long??? 20 minutes maybe.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  10:38:52 AM  Show Profile
This must be the universal problem. I get eggs from my mom's chickens and I have always had the same problem. I've done the salt and the vinegar trick. When I make deviled eggs I go get eggs from the store. What a slacker I am!! But I want the outsides nice and smooth not chunks missing. Let us know Alicia, If you find the trick!!

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  2:26:19 PM  Show Profile
Michele, you'll have to let us know if you find out how long to steam the eggs in a steamer basket... i'd be interested in trying that.

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  9:12:33 PM  Show Profile
I've been steaming the eggs about 20 mins, but that maybe too long. Sometimes they turn a little brown from too much time.But steaming ( I got it last year from this web site) works well for me,
Katie
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  10:56:53 AM  Show Profile
Wow I am so glad to know that I'm not the only one with this problem! I thought something was going on with my hens but obviously it's not them! :)
I'm going to try the C of T next time!

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  04:41:20 AM  Show Profile
I put my eggs in cold water in a saucepan, to start with and after they have finished boiling, I run cold water over them til the water turns cool and let them sit in the cool water. Allow them to stay in the water for about 20 minutes or longer if possible. Then they peal very easily.
Sheri

1 Cor 3:6...God made the seed to grow....

The best fertilizer for a farm, are the farmers footsteps...

Edited by - Lynner on Mar 15 2010 04:42:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  05:46:23 AM  Show Profile
Steaming fresh eggs is the only way I have found that allows me to peel without problems. I steam mine for 20-25 minutes depending on the number of eggs and they peel just fine. The problem is with fresh eggs the membrane that is attached to the egg shell is still very thick where aged eggs the membrane is thinner. Give it a try and I bet you will have an easy time with peeling.

Best of luck,
mag
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  5:47:35 PM  Show Profile
Mag, I read somewhere that you only put enough water in the pan to just touch the bottom of the steamer basket. Is that how you do it? Then you boil for 20 to 25 minutes. After that do you drain and put cold water on them? Or do you just let them cool and peel?

Sister-chick# 905(Oct.7th2009)
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  5:24:41 PM  Show Profile
wow! who knew there could be so much involved with peeling boiled eggs?! it always amuses me the type of discussions that come up on here... where else can you talk about peeling perfected boiled eggs! :)

i don't know what trick to try first, though...

- Guy Clark

- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  5:29:41 PM  Show Profile
Judy, I just use my steamer basket and put enough water in to get a good steam going for 20-25 minutes, which is usually about 1"-2" of water in the bottom of the pan. I used to have such a hard time boiling my girls eggs that I almost gave up, until I tried steaming. I am not kidding, this is the best way to cook an egg hard in shell.
Let me know how this works for you all.
mag
Go to Top of Page

vintage saver
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

oleta
wheelersburg ohio
USA
323 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  9:19:31 PM  Show Profile
Here's how I do it--usually works. I cover with water, bring to a boil and boil 10 min., then take to sink and run cold water on them after pouring off hot water, then pour this off,too, then run cold water to cover, wait 4or 5 min and crack all over, and start peeling. I also think alittle older eggs work better.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  03:42:34 AM  Show Profile
The problem may be the boiling water itself. Don't boil it. Add eggs just before the water starts to move, then remove everything off the burner for 10 minutes?

then run under cold water

This info may have come from the spring edition of Hobby Farm's chicken guide

Someone plese double check as this is completely from memory
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Help with hard boiling fresh eggs Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page