Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Help with hard boiling fresh eggs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Help with hard boiling fresh eggs Next Topic
Page: of 2

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4186 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4186 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  11:31:18 AM  Show Profile
LIke it has been said, about 20 minutes for steaming. If they seem over done, do it a few minutes less next time. If not done enough, add a few minutes.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

barefootmama
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Jennifer
BLOOMSBURG Pennsylvania
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  1:57:00 PM  Show Profile  Send barefootmama a Yahoo! Message
Great Question! I have the same problem and I too buy "store eggs" for deviled which is silly when I have a fridge full of fresh eggs! Please let us all know what works best as I have tried it all too! Best of luck Alicia

Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves,for they shall never cease to be amused:)
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  08:55:04 AM  Show Profile
OK as yucky as it sounds... I had to let the eggs from my hens age about 6 weeks in the fridge before I got the to hard boil and peel properly. I've tried different cooking times and methods and this was the only thing that worked. Given how old grocery store eggs are, I know see why they ALWAYS hard boil well. :)

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  10:34:26 AM  Show Profile
I have success with adding a ton of salt to the water!

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
~Thomas Edison~
Sister #1213
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  7:42:54 PM  Show Profile
I put my eggs in a pan and fill with cold water about 1/2 way up the side of the
eggs. I then pour in enough white vinegar to cover the eggs and bring them to a boil and
then turn off the burner, let them sit for 8 - 10 minutes. I rinse them off with cool water
but peel them while they are still warm and this is the best method I've found and use so far.
That ends up to being quite a bit of vinegar, not just a little 'cause a little doesn't work for
me. I'll be trying the steam method and see how that works.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  03:37:24 AM  Show Profile
Yea

Isn't it pretty gross how "old" store bought eggs already are!?!

Funny how one of my egg customers always asks if my eggs are "fresh".

Well, isn't less than 24 hours old fresh enough??? Short of standing there as the hens lay, which BTW has happened on a rare occasion. Fresh and less than a minute old. You can't beat that!

Are we farm gals spoiled or what!?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Help with hard boiling fresh eggs Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page