Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Allergic to bee stings - help!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Allergic to bee stings - help! Next Topic  

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  6:28:38 PM  Show Profile
My five year old get stung by bees a lot. Seems to be a magnet for him. Last summer he suddenly had a reaction and landed himself in the ER - it was really severe. He had never had a reaction before. I understand that is the way it works with bees. You can get stung a hundred times and the hundred and first time will be the one that gets you (and then you could be fine again after that!)

Anyhow, someone said that my son should be eating honey to get himself strengthened up for "bee season" since he had such a bad reaction last year. I had never heard of eating honey for a bee allergy, and in fact someone else told me he should be staying away from bee products of any kind if he had that severe of a reaction. I know that honey is good for seasonal plant allergies (and I know there is another thread going on about this!)...what does anyone know about how this relates to being allergic to bee stings?

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  9:05:55 PM  Show Profile
Farmmilkmamma, I know that it seems confusing, but I think there are two lines of thought going on. One thought is to stay away if you are allergic, and the other is to be more exposed to it to overcome it. Allergies to bee stings can be life threatening and should be taken very seriously. On the other hand, sometimes it is WHERE a sting occurs on the body, such as directly into a blood vein, that could make it a more serious sting, or perhaps being stung on the face which is much more tender and closer to the heart could prove more harmful than a sting on the heel or ball of the foot. My ex had very bad reactions to bee stings - some difficulty in breathing and breaking out in hives (a large lumpy rash all over on the skin) but over time and more stings, it was not as severe. I don't know that eating honey would make him less allergic to stings. I would think that eating honey may make him less allergic to pollen allergies, but don't really know that it would help with sting allergies. I've known of people who were allergic to everything bee related and could have nothing to do with them. I think it would be a good idea to have a sting kit handy if it becomes necessary, or at the very least have some benedryl on hand to help with any allergic reaction til you can get him medical attention if he should get stung again. I think you'll have to research it some more. Good Luck.
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  07:03:59 AM  Show Profile
my Mom always kept a bottle of benedryl in the fridge for me when I was growing up. I was allergic to bees... actually wasps. We didn't do anything special to make me less allergic. Just stayed away from them buggers as best as possible. I am now grown... 50 to be exact, I have outgrown the allergy but when I get stung these days... I get the meat tenderizer, make a paste for the stinger. I have a swelling area for few hours... then I'm good to go again.

I dunno about eating honey to be less allergic... I agree with Chris.

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus ...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
My Etsy: Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures ...http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  07:43:16 AM  Show Profile
I'm allergic to wasps too and use the Benedryl when I get stung...so far I haven't landed in ER, but I am scared to death of the yellow jackets that we get in mass around here all summer.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  08:17:31 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info, ladies. Avoiding the bees would mean not going outside I think, since we have tons of them around our house. (Darn gardening, anyway!) We were given an Epi Pen last year when he had his severe reaction and told to get a new one every year. My dad had a severe reaction once when he was little, but like most people have said here, he has never had another one. The doc in the ER said to me "Next time your son has a reaction, it will probably be worse than this." I kind of thought that was funny, since I didn't know how he would know what his reaction would be like. I don't know if he was trying to scare me or what, seeing as how within ten minutes of getting stung, my son (last time) was blowing up like a balloon, covered in hives, and having trouble breathing. Anyhow...its best just to be prepared I guess and keep an eye out. Thanks for the information and stories, ladies!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  10:39:51 AM  Show Profile
Hey Amy,

I am sending you an email on this one.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  1:27:17 PM  Show Profile
Severe allergies do get worse each time you are exposed, as your body works harder at protecting itself. Keep that Epi Pen handy, and use it if he even begins to react. Take goood care, Carol

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  8:34:29 PM  Show Profile
I get confused as to what stung me since I think there are bees, wasps, and yellow jackets. I have heard yellow jackets are the worst but I guess it all depends on what you are allergic to. I have stepped on something and actually had fevers and a rash for days after. I have also been stung on the eyebrow and my eye completely swelled shut and I had a black eye. I don't know which of the above has stung me each time. It must be so frightening to see your child have an allergic reaction. I think the Epi pen is the best idea just to be safe. My brother in law is an emergency room physician and is allergic to bees so he carries and Epi pen. I know when you are allergic to an antibiotic if you are given the same antibiotic again each reaction gets worse so that could be with bee stings also I guess. Hope you find the right answer and can take care of him quickly if he gets stung again. Best Wishes. He must be a sweet little boy in more ways than one:)

barnagainkristin

"Others Before Self"
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  5:17:52 PM  Show Profile
Another thought to this as well. Sometimes it isn't the bee sting or wasp sting that is the problem it is where the bee or wasp has been before they have stung. They can transfer stuff on their feet or body. My mom, and two sisters are deathly allegic to stings and they carry an epi pen always. Can be deadly.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Allergic to bee stings - help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page