Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 help to calm being hungry all the time
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic help to calm being hungry all the time Next Topic  

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  8:39:55 PM  Show Profile
any of you herbalists maybe you can help me. I have always had an appetite to beat the band. I really need to lose some weight and I was wondering if there was something out there that is natural that would curb an appetite? any suggestions.??? thanks for any info at all!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  05:54:17 AM  Show Profile
I don't know of any herbs to curb an appetite, but eating oatmeal when you are hungry can help you lose weight. It fills you up and you are less likely to overeat afterwards. I just gave up meat for Lent so I've been eating more vegetables and fruits and I'm eating less.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  06:17:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Beverley- Have you ever had blood work done to see how your vitamin and minerals are doing? I know if you are low on some minerals that can make you always hungry.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  11:24:13 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello, Have your doctor test for diabetes. I also have an appetite that will not stop only to find out it is a blood sugar thing. High blood sugar. So now I watch my carb intake and it seems to help curb the uncontrollable eating and I am losing weight. When my sugar gets high I am just out of control and eat anything I see even things I don't like.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
Nana to 4 with 1 on the way.
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  6:30:38 PM  Show Profile
My friend helps people with weight loss as a nutritionist, and she tells people to eat the following portions at all meals:
Palm sized portion of protien
Palm sized portion of carbs/ starchy vegetables
2 palm sized portions of non starchy vegetables
I forgot what she said about snacks, but I know she supports snacks. I think yougurt, fruit, stuff like that.
It's true, we sometimes crave food in general to try to satisfy nutritional defiencies. Cindy said it in that , by eating more produce, she is eating less total food intake, and Alee mentioned blood work to test for nutrition. Sometimes, incessant hunger is treated with Chinese medicine or homeopathy along with other symptoms the person is having. I agree, diabetes can be involved, also sleep deprivation can cause excessive hunger.
~ Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

Chives
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Victoria
Shelton Washington
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  9:20:45 PM  Show Profile
I read, not saying its true or not. Munch on peppers. They suppose to control hunger. Who knows. Vicki
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  08:38:26 AM  Show Profile
I have been tested for sugar over my life time and it always comes back normal. Bit I have noticed that if I eat to much sugar I get headaches so I don't have a sweet tooth anyway so it is not hard for me to stay away from that. I cannot eat spicy food at all so munching on peppers would sure do the trick I would not be able to eat at all. hehehehehehe actually I would not be able to eat the peppers I appreciate all the the suggestions and info thank you all very much!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  11:34:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi Beverly,
I am a circuit trainer at Curves and we tell our members that a good way to feel fuller is to make sure you are drinking plenty of water. You should drink about 62 ounces a day. That is what your body needs.
Protein is also good for hunger problems. Almonds, walnuts, Happy Cow cheese wedges,etc..... The advice about the palm full is true. One of my favorite snacks is a mozzarella string cheese and a BIG handful of baby carrots. Carrots are a "free" food. Most veggies are. Psychology plays a big part also. When you eat that string cheese, pull it in small strings and make it LAST................. ha.
Your brain needs time to know you have eaten. Hope this helps.
Melody Tigo (farm girl #833)
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  1:52:05 PM  Show Profile
thank you melody those are very good tips!!!

Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  8:47:46 PM  Show Profile
Beverley,
2 doctors suggested the South Beach diet when I asked them what to do to lose a few pounds. It is quite low on carbs which I wonder about but if I follow the plan I am not hungry and don't have the cravings I did before. The first time I tried it I didn't have much weight to lose and I felt horrible when I exercised with no energy. I swore I would never try it again and gave my book to a thrift store. After I talked to the doctors years later I went back to the thrift store and bought someone elses book to give it a try. It is quite easy to find a used copy. The second time I tried it I had more weight to lose and I didn't notice the energy loss near as much. I know you didn't mention that you needed to lose weight but this particular food plan has helped with my hunger. Hope you figure out what works for you.
Have you ever had your thyroid checked since increased appetite goes along with elevated thyroid levels? Best Wishes!

barnagainkristin

"Others Before Self"
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  2:10:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kristin, I already take thyroid meds and have them checked on a regular time frame so those are now normal with the meds I take. I do want to lose weight so I will take your tip and try and find one of those books at a thrift store and read it. I have notice I do feel better and not so tired if I watch my carbs so that is a very good tip. thanks bev

Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic help to calm being hungry all the time Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page