Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 I jumped off a cliff and quit my job
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic I jumped off a cliff and quit my job Next Topic  

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  1:07:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
To finish our farmhouse and work on my ginormous daylily beds and try to get the farmstead in order. I've been busier at work the past few weeks since I turned in my resignation(March 31 will be my last day) than I've been in the past ten years! My dh will still be a working man. Some days, I'm joyful and some days I feel sort of hesitant about not bringing in a paycheck. I've worked since I was out of high school. In fact, most of my life, I've had one full time and one or two more part time things going on. I haven't been on here much lately, and I probably won't get to be here much for the next few months once I leave my job. I don't have a computer at home, and I won't have one at the farm until late June or July. I plan to take some retirement money and pay off the farm, my car and my Visa bill. We've always been pretty thrifty, so we don't have a ton of bills.

Hi, Wilma! Sorry I haven't emailed you lately. Are we going to Burlington in April? I need a break from winter!

Hi Jonni! Hi Lisa! I bought a new pair of sunglasses last weekend. LOL! I took ten pairs in for new lenses. I'm using up my Flex Spending Account money before I quit. I'm going through my vast collection of eyewear and donating the ones I don't need. LensCrafters gratefully takes all donated glasses.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  1:24:12 PM  Show Profile
Good for you Janice! It will feel like when we used to get out of school for the summer. You wake up in the morning and don't have to go to work. Great feeling. I still love it and its been seven years. We will miss you with no computer.
Nancy Jo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  1:30:24 PM  Show Profile
Good for you. I quit my job last July. I too have worked since starting college and all I have to show for it is a lot of jobs on my resume. Since I have quit I have been able to grow, perserve, and make more things for my family. I feel so much more in touch with my life now that I don't have to worry about making someone else money. The only thing I do not have is pocket money, but I have found that being thrifty is far more fun than a trip to the store. And if I am not spending then I am not supporting big business, agribusiness, imported inferior products, and decreasing my carbonfoot print. The funny thing is when I made good money we had no more than we do now. It seems the more money you make the more places you have to spend it. We even save more on our taxes with my income gone. Good luck getting all your projects done.
Jane

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  1:54:39 PM  Show Profile
Janice, I did the same thing six years ago (how can it be that long?) and it was the best decision I have ever made. Even when things get scary financially (which they may be soon), I do not regret taking the time to be at home, with family, and simplifying my life. And you even have the added luxury of actually living on a farm, which has been a lot of hard work for you the last several years.
Go girl! Hooray for Janice!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Mar 09 2010 1:55:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  1:58:37 PM  Show Profile
Janice, you will be so busy you won't miss "real" work at all. I hope you enjoy yourself so much and get all you want done. Just have fun. You deserve it!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  2:05:31 PM  Show Profile
I'm so proud of you, Janice, but then, you already knew that :) It's going to be such an exciting adventure, and you will be SO crazy cool in those new sunglasses. Irvington won't know what hit it!!! Can't wait til we see each other at Burlington...counting down the days (it will probably rain!)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  2:20:42 PM  Show Profile
Wow Janice---good for you. I quit 6-7 years ago when my husband got sick and stayed home to care for him. And I am still home. See how it pays to be thrifty. LOL Again good for you and Yeehaw!!! MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  2:27:49 PM  Show Profile
Good for you Janice, big decision for sure, but you'll be so busy you won't even think about it!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  3:13:54 PM  Show Profile
You Go Gurl, Janice!!!!!!!!

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus ...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
My Etsy: Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures ...http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  7:39:56 PM  Show Profile
I wish...I wish...I wish...

But I'm chicken!

Good luck to you, I am envious!

Penny
www.peafarm.weebly.com
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  05:26:12 AM  Show Profile
Way to go Janice. I quit my job last year and at first I was feeling guilty about not bringing in money. I am gardening and baking bread and simplifying our life style. I actually am busier but happier and not as stressed as when I was working full-time. I finally got over the feeling that I wasn't contributing. So please don't do what I did and beat yourself up about your decision, in the long run it is the right thing to do and I am sure you will be happier.

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  06:51:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for all the positive input! You guys are such great cheerleaders! :) I have to wait 90 days to take money out of my retirement. Don't know why....but I think once I pay off those three bills I mentioned, that amounts to one of my paychecks. Just gotta make it for three months. I think I can, I think I can.....

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  07:29:28 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Hey Janice . . .
I'm glad that little angel I sent you was a blessing to you!!! Thanks for letting me know that story!!

Congrats on quitting your job!!! I haven't really quit working a full-time job because I am a caregiver for my sister (and it's a paying job, without benefits). It has VERY SIGNIFICANT challenges, however, I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SICK of dirty politics, paperwork to the sky and junk, junk, junk!!! So, I quit those kinds of jobs . . . and it IS less stressful, even with the challenges of caring for her.
So, you go girl . . . and enjoy it!!!
GOD BLESS YOU . . .
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  07:36:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Yep, CJ, the angel you sent me when I was FGOTM got me through talking with the 'money guy' to see if I could even touch any retirement money. I was dreading that talk. At one time early in the retirement program here, all my money was in a fund that I couldn't touch at all unless I was retired completely(and then only as a montly payment), or I was dead(and somebody else got to spend it). It has taken ten years to move it completely over to a fund that I can get my hands on. Still don't understand that, but talking to them used to make me so upset/angry it's a wonder I didn't have a stroke or a heart attack.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  07:46:34 AM  Show Profile
Oh Janice! How fun!
You deserve it. Just keep that sunglasses spending to a limit & you should be fine.. & wear your darkest pair to Burlington so all of the goodies look dark & unattractive.. Hope to see you there, & if it calls for rain, we will just make warm the body food.
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  10:13:42 AM  Show Profile
Hey Janice yeah we cant miss Burlington.Please just dont let it rain. Good for you on the job thingLittle Violet will probably think shes been pulled apart after we all get done holding her.

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  10:16:59 AM  Show Profile
Hey Miss Wilma, did you get my emails about the leather britches/greasy beans?

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  10:37:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Wilma - You're bringing pics of little man, right???

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  10:43:18 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations on taking your life back! You'll be fine....no computer tho? Here I was hopin to see posts from you talkin about your new life. Maybe something will come thru on that.....

http://www.mandolinbabe.info

http://www.mandolinbabe.net

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  10:50:25 AM  Show Profile
Diane - I felt guilty too, for many years, about not working away from home anymore when my hubby was still full time. He did not make me feel that way, but I did anyway. I am over it now, too, but still try to do all the work at home, so all he has to do is work at the office. HOwever, he still does all the outside work, except for my garden. I love being at home!!!! And I do work two days a week at the church. it is very low stress and comfortable.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  11:32:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Low stress. That's what I'm looking for! ;) I enjoy the outside work, tho. And the inside stuff, too. Looking forward to painting the old part of the house. Not so much crawling in the attic over there and putting insulation in. :(

Sherrie - hoping to get a laptop sometime in June. Hoping, hoping...Maybe the dh will find me a cheap used one(have to check into that).

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  2:07:30 PM  Show Profile
Janice, does your DH work on computers?

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic I jumped off a cliff and quit my job Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page