paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  06:51:07 AM  Show Profile
I'm getting ready to do my first sale for my handwoven products, and I need some pricing advice. I have dishtowels made of unmercerized cotton that measure approximately 20 x 28", although they will shrink when washed. I originally planned on asking $7.50, but I noticed on line that similar ones are selling for $15 to $22. I'm now thinking of asking $9 ea., or 3 for $25 -- I know that's lower, but I'm also taking into consideration our area and economy. I also have table runners that measure about 18" x 54" made from pearl cotton. I'm thinking $35 for those. In addition to both of those, I have what I call my 'lagnappe' piece, which is the leftover warp from the table runners. These measure 18" x 20" (approximate length) and I was thinking of selling those as either dresser scarves or tray liners and pricing them at $15. The table runners and tray liners will be fringed on the ends. Any ideas, advice or suggestions are more than welcome. Wish me luck! The sale takes place on Saturday the 27th!

from the hearts of paradise...

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  07:27:37 AM  Show Profile
That sounds more than reasonable to me. Pricing is always tricky. Where are you selling them?

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  08:42:02 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sheri. I'm selling them in NW Louisiana, at a small, local Arts, Crafts & Plants Sale. We went last year and even with the cold weather there was a good turnout. I thought it would be a good place for my first try. Do you sell any of your items? To me, this is really the hardest part!

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  08:47:46 AM  Show Profile
I am just preparing to try, probably on Etsy. I have been making veneered hat boxes - you can see pics on the "What are you doing today" thread on either page 2 or 3. I am also concerned on pricing - they are labor intensive and material expensive to make and I haven't seen anything comparable to them out there either so it's difficult to know how to price them. I don't want to price myself out of the market but I don't want to give them away either. It's a conundrum. I'd love for you to take a look and give me an opinion. I wish you good luck on your sales.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  3:27:43 PM  Show Profile
Sheri - I've been searching for that thread. I'm dying to see your hat boxes. They sound wonderful! I'll be happy to give you some feedback, just as soon as I find the post. Don't give up on me!

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  5:05:34 PM  Show Profile
It's in the Stitching & Crafting section. The smaller box picture is on page one and the other larger ones are on page 2.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  05:33:13 AM  Show Profile
Pricing your products is a tough process. . . you want your items to sell, however, you need to be sure you are being paid for your work too!
Will you still turn a profit at the prices set after deducting all your expenses ( materials used, time spent weaving, fees paid for the event etc) Just be sure you are at least breaking even not selling at a loss.
You have worked hard at creating something wonderful, be sure you are rewarded for your efforts After all, how many women weave their own dishtowels, runners etc!!

Joanna #566
JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  10:01:41 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I have such a hard time pricing and tell people the price. I feel like I'm stealing from them or something. lol I hope you make lots of money my dear friend!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Need Pricing Help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page