walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  12:05:57 PM  Show Profile
This year I'm going to try and sell my extra seedlings. I'm looking for advice, because my local farmesr market is VERY small, and since I work full time, devoting a day to being at the farmers market, above all the chores on the farm, just isn't feasible.

I was thinking of contacting some of the vendors and seeing if they'll sell them for me (They'd get a cut of course) or putting an ad up on craigslist, etc.

Any tips on selling seedlings?

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  12:52:04 PM  Show Profile
Youd likely need to check with your local farmers market association. Ours does not allow you to sell products for other farmers. You are only allowed to sell what you grow and they are very strict about it. I sell seedlings at mine and they are always a hit. I can afford to sell them cheaper than the local walmart and still make a profit which is GREAT!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

podsandpetals
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Cindy
Genoa NY
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  7:19:33 PM  Show Profile
Try a roadside stand if your on a somewhat buisy road. This is how I started out while working full time as perennial grower at a wholesale nursery. -Came home and grew more perennials. My stand works on the honor system and it works quite well. There are a few persons without integrity, but not enough to make it not worth doing. Just make sure your money box is bolted down! Your stand will need shade and wind protection- so the plants don't dry out to quickly. I also have a large 50 gal. pail with a lid next to the stand for water. Nothing is worse than hauling water after a full day of work! I don't work at the nursery anymore and grow my own perennials to sell at farmers markets and local garden centers. I still have the road side stand and it does very well. Give it a try and see where it goes! -Cindy

www.podsandpetals.etsy.com
ebay seller podsandpetals
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  04:42:12 AM  Show Profile
I would sell them right there at your farm! A couple of well placed handmade signs to direct folks to you and maybe an add with the street addy on craig's list. Believe me, folks will find you if you have what they want!

Joanna #566
JojoNH

www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  05:01:00 AM  Show Profile
Well, my problem is that I am WAY out in the middle of NOWHERE. I've been thinking of setting up a stand near the local volunteer firefighters station, so, we'll see!!! I bought some flowers from a roadside stand once on the "honor" system, and I thought it was so endearing. Like there are still SOME good people out there! LOL.

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

podsandpetals
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Cindy
Genoa NY
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  7:05:57 PM  Show Profile
I know of a couple who sell cottage garden perennials in little 2" pots online- they do a very good business. Not sure how they ship them though. -Cindy

www.podsandpetals.etsy.com
ebay seller podsandpetals
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  09:32:31 AM  Show Profile
hmmm. I hadn't considered that. I don't know how I would keep them from getting smushed/too hot/too cold. I've ordered seedlings of strawberry plants before, and they just came in a plastic bag, so I'm not sure.

Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  12:16:58 PM  Show Profile
Do you have a friend on a busy road? Maybe she would let you set up your stand their with the honor system setup. (We use that here and it is very rare to have someone take advantage of it.) That way you could have the stand running 7 days a week, give you an advantage for selling and not have to worry about being there.

Joanna #566
JojoNH

www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  11:58:03 AM  Show Profile
I'll have to put some major thought into this. I moved from California to KY, so, I'll have to ask my husband, who was born/raised here, if he knows anyone that would be willing to do it.

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  5:00:01 PM  Show Profile
place an ad in your paper or on craigslist. for quality plants folks will make the drive.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  5:02:49 PM  Show Profile
Good point. Maybe set it up down the road and (With permission) use someone else's address. I'm so out in the country you can't even mapquest or GPS my house! LOL.

Go to Top of Page

NancyM
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Nancy
Fall City WA
113 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  3:17:06 PM  Show Profile
We have a gal in town who puts a notice in the post office and a sign out on the street-she's been doing it for a number of years and now has quite a following. Good luck!

Nancy
Farmgirl Sister #159
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  03:20:49 AM  Show Profile
There was an older gentleman near me that I've purchased seedlings from. He sold from out of his garage because it was easiest, but said he set up in front of the high school on weekend mornings when folks would be out running errands. Neighbors had yard signs for him. I was sad when he told me he was done last year.

If you decide to ship them somewhere you could maybe go to the liquor store and get boxes that have those inserts to hold bottles upright and cut them to fit the size box/number of plants you need to send. Maybe even those cardboard carriers that 4-packs and 6-packs are carried in would work inside a shipping container.

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Selling Seedlings... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page