Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  08:04:52 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Ladies,
I could realy use some good Farmgirl help. I have been sick this whole winter, starting December 28th. The last bought with this upper-respatory this has lasted 2 weeks. I am soooo sick and tired of being sick and tired. I think I need to build myself back up with some herbal treatments and vitiams. I would realy like to know what works for you gals. The docs have not done anything but treat the sickness when it happeneds. I need to build up so it will not happen. Thanks Ladies, I look foward to hearing from you.

Blessings,
Tina

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  08:30:14 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Here is what really helps me when I get sick. Elderberry syrup. This helps me get over colds and sickness much faster and it taste great!! Honey and lemon tea. Green smoothies and raw fruits and veggies. Oh and hot veggie soups. And Umcka drops. You can get the Umcka and Elderberry syrup at your local health food store. These are all natural treatments that should help you! I will be praying that you feel better soon Tina!!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  08:56:01 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Here is a little bit about Umcka for you.

Umcka shortens duration of throat, sinus and bronchial irritations. One of my friends told me that one of her friends said that she took this everyday ( she's a nurse) and she has never gotten sick. She takes it twice a day.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  3:56:20 PM  Show Profile
hi
check out the onion site it could help

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  5:31:13 PM  Show Profile
Tina, I am so sorry you've been sick. I don't really have any answers for you except the elderberry syrup really works. I have been drinking Kambucha tea every day since last fall. I love this stuff. It sounds like you need to go to an herb doctor and get a good cleansing herbal drink. We have a great herb doctor here and she makes a drink out of all kinds of bark and roots and it smells good but tastes horrid but it works. She mixes it up right there after hearing all the synptoms so it's made just for that person. You can come up and visit me and I'll take you to see her. She's really reasonable, too. I never pay more than $20 when I go. But they are only open Wed.-Fr.

How is that new grandbaby doing?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  7:00:50 PM  Show Profile
I would also suggest building back up your liver with some licorice. Extra vitamin C never hurts. THen, it would depend on your specific needs to make further suggestions!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  05:59:07 AM  Show Profile
Hey Tina. Did you get the new MJF yet? On page 27 there is a short article about honey and cinnamon. Very interseting. For colds and flu it says to make a tea with 1 Tbsp. honey and 1/4 tsp. cinn. Take this daily for 3 days. It's thought to cure most coughs, colds and flu.Daily use of honey and cinn. is thought to streghten the immune system and protect the body from bacterial and viral attacks. It sounds to me like you need to get you immune system back on track if your staying sick.

I also have taken a Wellness Formula (Herbal Defense Complex). When I start feeling slumpy I'll start taking them. It really helps me. I get it at Greenlife. But if you have a Whole Foods typw store there, they'd have it. It's from Source naturals.

I sure do hope you get over this soon. Those grandkids need you.

Hugs, Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  08:15:21 AM  Show Profile
This is long!!! :)
Oh Tina, I know just how you feel!!! :(
I was sick constantly for 2 whole years- that is not a typo, I really was...I'd get over something and get something else. At the end of those 2 years I ended up in the emergency room twice. It got to the point where my daughters would not bring my grandchildren here because they were afraid the kids would get sick. When I missed my grand daughters dance recital last June because I had been to the emergency room that morning, I knew I had to do something.

The first thing I did was start some research. My dad had been telling me I needed to take extra Vitamin D, that we all did really, that new studies had shown some remarkable benefits from it. Of course he had been telling me that for quite some time, but I hadn't really paid attention yet... So, last July I started taking 1,000 iu a day. I got outside a lot more last summer, soaking up more vitamin D. I became a little more active, not a lot, but did more gardening, more walks, etc. I also, greened up my house. Used up all my chemicals and didn't buy anymore. Quit buying soaps and shampoos from the stores. Quit buying laundry soap. I started making my own soap, and laundry soap. I started buying greener and healthier shampoos and conditioners. I used vinegar, borax, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide for cleaning.By the end of August I was taking up to 5,000 iu of vitamin D a day, and by October had backed down to 2,000 iu a day. I now normally take 1,000 or 2,000 a day, and will occasionally take more. I also started eating organic yogurt and more fruits and veggies, especially those with the most Vitamin C.
I have not been sick since June 6, 2009!!!! Well, ok, I had a slight cold(lasted 3 days!) right after Christmas, and right now I think I may be getting the sniffles, but nothing major like I had been getting!!!
This is what I figured out:
1. For 1 1/2 years we lived in a house in town surrounded by trees. I was outside a lot, but not in the sun. When we took the dogs hiking, we were always in the woods- no sun. I must have been severely lacking in vitamin D! Where we are now, I am surrounded by open spaces! When I'm outside I am usually right in the sun. 20 minutes a day of being in the sunshine in a bathing suit will give us lots of and lots of natural vitamin D!!!
2. I really seriously believe that taking as many chemicals out of my house as possible really helped me a lot. I've read so much about those nasty things and what they do to people that it does not surprise me that maybe I was suffering ill effects from them. Especially because it was all respiratory symptoms- colds, bad coughs, bronchitis, a bout with pleurisy and several ear and sinus infections.
3. Vitamin C and pro-biotics are very important to our immune systems too. Potatoes have lots of vitamin C, so do tomatoes and strawberries. I've never been big on OJ or oranges, so try to get it in other ways. Zinc taken along with vitamin C helps tremendously too. I always hated yogurt, but not since I discovered Stoneyfield Farms organic yogurt, now I am addicted to it!
4. I customized my own vitamin regimen. I believe it is better to get most nutrients from foods, adding extra help where needed. It has taken me a long time to figure this out.
5. There were 2 added benefits to taking big doses of Vitamin D all winter. One was that my poor arthritic knees have improved tremendously! I still have some pains, but not nearly as much as I did. Also noticed that my general outlook and moods have been much better this past winter. That was one of the studies of Vitamin D- how it affected seasonal depression.
6. Elderberry syrup is a wonderful, wonderful thing for when you do get sick!I have some that I have had around, but haven't needed in a while. They make an elderberry extract too. One of my sons-in-law grew up in Wales, and he remembers having to go pick it with his sister and mum when young. She would then make it into a syrup and whenever they got sick would take that.

I know this is long, but I wanted to tell you my story- if it's helps someone else, I'll be happy! :)
Take care of yourself Tina! {{{Hugs}}}

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  08:16:34 AM  Show Profile
Forgot to say, I haven't even really looked into herbal benefits yet, but will be this spring, I know they are amazing!
And Kris I just read that article last night about the cinnamon, and can't wait to try it, made sense to me! :)

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  08:23:11 AM  Show Profile
I eat a piece of Ezekial bread every morning with...Ta DA!! honey & cinammon
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  09:55:50 AM  Show Profile
I knew I came to the right place!!

Channah~ I am going to the health food store today to get some Eldeberry syrup and some Umcka drops thanks!!

Deborah~ i will check out the onion site after i finnish here. thanks!

Kris~ Thanks for the invitation I am too tired to drive up there. Pretty sad huh. What is Kambucha tea? and where do I get it? I checked out a holistic dr. here but they want 135.00 and hour, just can't do that. I haven't got my MJ yet but I will look into it when it comes. Grandson is ok I guess, I havn't been around him for a while don't want to get him sick. Do you know anything about burdock root? i heard it was a blood cleanser.

Tina
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  10:00:11 AM  Show Profile
Brenda,
I am soo sorry you were sick for that long!!!! I just started taking vitiam D. I do think I have been in the house too long. I need to get outside more.
I have already greened my house, but havn't done the shampoos and stuff yet, that is a real possibility for my being sick. You were so sweet to share your story. Believe me I will read it again later.

Thanks,
Tina
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  9:59:35 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I will be praying that you will get better Tina! I am just glad I could help a little.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  11:10:58 PM  Show Profile
You might consider a food allergy as an underlying cause as well. I went through a bout like that several years ago and couldn't figure out why. I ended up going to a Naturepath and having allergy tests and turned out I have a potato allergy of all things. Once I got potato out of my diet for several months I was fine and have rarely been sick since. Now I have eaten potatoes all my life but when I married, my husband was Chinese and so we ate a lot of rice and seldom ate potatoes - maybe once a week or so. Then for some reason my husband got on a potato kick and I was making potato bread, baked potatoes, fried potatoes etc. The more we ate the sicker I got but I had no idea that was the cause. I can eat potatoes but not more than once or twice per week or I start getting sick again. Just a thought. I do agree with the Vitamin D too.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  06:03:35 AM  Show Profile
Sheri~ I never thought it could be an allergy. If I don't see some improvement with the new stuff I got yesterday I will talk to my Dr. about it.

Thanks,
Tina
Go to Top of Page

podsandpetals
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Cindy
Genoa NY
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  8:18:23 PM  Show Profile
Uhg! You have my sympathy. When I start to feel run down and sick all the time I drink alot of ginger tea with lemon, and make big batches of chicken soup with lots of garlic and onion. It's very soothing. When things get really bad sometimes I'll do a gentile cleansing diet- steamed veggies, lots of water, no meat, no dairy except good yogurt . Sitting in the sun when ever possible helps- I guess that must have to do with the vitamin D also. I hope you feel better soon- being sick sucks! -Cindy

Check out "Support a farm girl night" http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38448

www.podsandpetals.etsy.com
ebay seller podsandpetals
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  06:01:08 AM  Show Profile
Tina,
Oh, sweetie, you sound like me!! I just posted last night how I am sick AGAIN and have gotten sick over and over since the beginning of February. It is so frustrating! Hope you feel better, too!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  5:19:08 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
How are you all doing? I hope you are feeling better. I am praying for you!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  3:23:56 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ladies,
I am among the living. Boy, I tell you that was a rough 4 weeks. They tested me for just about everything you can imagin. One of the things they tested me for was Human Parvo!! I had never heard of such. Come to find out I got a virus last Dec, the Docs gave me a anibiotic and it got just a little better and then it came right back. That happened 3 times finally they said just to let it run it course. So... 4 weeks later and I am finally feeling like myself again.
Thanks for all the prayers and good farmgirl thoughts!! I truly feel blessed to have all you gals. If anyone and I mean anyone is tild to take an antibiotic for a virus DON"T DO IT!!! just let it run its course.

Blessings,
Tina
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  4:35:25 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I am soo glad you are feeling better Tina!! I always just let the cold run it's course.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  6:02:44 PM  Show Profile
Local Honey and Cinnamon. You can drink it or spread it on toast. The honey really really needs to be local. A couple of tablspoons of honey a day with a teaspoon or so of cinnamon.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic I need some Farmgirl help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page