farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  11:13:29 AM  Show Profile
I've often read that onions are really good for your health, and noticed in my first issue of MaryJanesFarm (current issue) there was a write up about onions (Fact or Folklore) and placing them in bowls or jars around the house to combat colds or flu.

Has anyone tried this? Have you had any luck with it? Has anyone actually had them turn darker as they "suck up" the bad germs or virus?

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  11:58:48 AM  Show Profile
When I had an ear infection someone told me to cut an onion in half and strap the halves to my ears. I never got to try it because it turned out I had labyrinthitis and got extreme vertigo and I just wanted some drugs to help me quick LOL! It's worth a try though. Maybe next time an ear infection comes around.

Siobhan, wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  12:04:37 PM  Show Profile
My grandma used to put boilled onions in a cheesecloth on our chest when we had a bad cold. I think we got better because we were either afraid of the smell or that she would keep doing it. It always cleared our sinus. and probley a few other things!

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

Kayce
True Blue Farmgirl

290 Posts

Kayce
Sebring FL
USA
290 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  1:51:20 PM  Show Profile
Um, yes. After I read about this somewhere on here I thought ...what the heck... My buddy man had the start of a cold so i cut an onion put it on the night stand. Well I ended up having to throw it away in the middle of the night cause neither one of us could sleep because of the smell. Maybe I should of used a different kinda of onion.

Both my son and I would file it as a myth

~Kayce~

Check out PenPals for FarmKids http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38599
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  3:33:18 PM  Show Profile
When I was little my mom would place a slice of onion over the boil and by morning it would have popped and drained. She shut bandages it right up over. She would also use osha(sp). It worked wonders.
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  08:06:28 AM  Show Profile
Onions can cause blindness in dogs so be very careful where you put them
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  10:36:56 AM  Show Profile
I read the article in MJ mag also. I now keep my onions in a pretty bowl on the counter. When I use an onion and cut the top/bottom off, I leave it in the bowl till it is dried up then put it in the compost. I know folks think I have garbage sitting on the counter so I have to tell the story. As far as I know, no one has run home and set out their onions. We do not take flu shots so we do all we can to keep from having the flu.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  11:32:51 AM  Show Profile
We did end up trying this at night with my son who had a cold. The smell just about knocked the house out...and the onion didn't look any different in the morning (darker, that is), but I guess I have to say that his cold hasn't gotten any worse. And considering how sick the people were who he got the cold from, that is a good thing! So who knows. That's the tricky thing with medicine. You can't really re-do the exact same illness over again to see what different things give you different results.

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  2:38:54 PM  Show Profile
Getting past the first day is the hardest, then the smell isn't so bad. I saw this in this a magazines too and wondered. With everyone at the office getting sick it's worth a try. I usually get one cold while deployed so if I make until march when I go home without, I'll be very happy...and buying more onions

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  12:16:11 PM  Show Profile
I was just going to post a thought about this very thing....I did place onions around our home, flu/colds hit us hard, adn am wondering if it really works...

Farmgirl Sister #368
~~~**Terri**~~~

http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com http://frocksfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
http://blogonthefarmandgarden.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  10:18:14 PM  Show Profile
If you look on www.snopes.com, you will read that it is a myth...

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

HorseLady
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Rose
Irwin PA
USA
87 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  5:10:21 PM  Show Profile
I read that article and just placed unsliced onions around in each room and it hasn't seemed to make any difference. I think it's an old wives' tale.

Hug a horse or a dog today!
Go to Top of Page

countrymum
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Lorie
PA
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  08:50:25 AM  Show Profile
when i read that article i tried it, and we have not gotten the flu or even a sniffle. however i don't cut the onion, i just peel off the outer layer leaving the ends intact. it is a little difficult but no smell and it's working in this house.

"Life is brief & very fragile. Do that which makes you happy."- Flavia
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  4:10:30 PM  Show Profile
When I read the article, I was in the middle of H1N1. I was so sick. No one could sleep well because of the smell, but no one else got it, so who knows?

Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  3:11:39 PM  Show Profile
When my daughter was a little girl, she loved raw vegetables, including onions. I mentioned this once to someone and then it was noted that she hardly ever had a cold. One of the guys I worked with - a retired Air Force chaplin - said it was because after she ate the onion nobody wanted to come near enough to give her a cold. We all thought this funny, but also wondered why when she was into eating raw onions that she never caught colds. She did get ear problems and tonsillitis, but no colds.

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  1:05:09 PM  Show Profile
A friend of mine makes an onion tea and drinks it when she has a cold and so does her husband. They sware it helps with the congestion and breaks it up. Never tried it myself. Wonder if it taste kinda like onion soup???

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  3:55:00 PM  Show Profile
i also read that placing a cut onion in bowls around the house wards off the flu and other ailments?
i always have an onion on the counter and haven't been sick so who knows..

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

IrishHarp
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Susan
Delafield WI
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  07:00:57 AM  Show Profile
OK, after reading the article about onions preventing flu in MJ's magazine, I feel I must come down firmly on the side of folklore. No, Onions cannot absorb viruses. For one thing, most flu viruses are contracted from physical contact. It is generally picked up from doorknobs, telephones, hands, and liquid droplets (teeny drops of mucous and saliva (eww) ejected when an infected person sneezes or coughs.) The best way to avoid the flu is to wash your hands! Often. especially after being in a public place. And yes, I will say it. get a flu shot! Immunology is a real science. (anyone had smallpox lately?) Your chances of being seriously ill or dying from the flu are much greater than any reaction you might have to the vaccine. I have been an RN for 35 years and I can tell you, flu kills! Don't mess aroud with it. Hope this doesn't seem too harsh, but I strongly feel that this is important. We all love 'natural' things. Well, science has simply taken the body's natural response to encourage the immune system to recognize a disease. It's brilliant! Mothers used to deliberately expose their children to things like chickenpox, so that they would not contract the disease at a later age, and have a worse reaction. The same thing has been packaged for you!

<i>Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative. -Oscar Wilde </i>

Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Has anyone tried an onion? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page