Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Sick of Supper? Next Topic  

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  2:19:56 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone! It seems this time of year I get really tired of what seems like the same ol' thing for supper! I'm done with stews, soups, mac and cheese, goulash, tuna tetrazinni(sp), pizza, mexican, and chinese, etc. Anyone have any other ideas??

Anyone else sick of supper? This farmgirl needs some empathy! (And ideas to get through until fresh stuff comes out of the garden)

Have a great day!

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  2:59:39 PM  Show Profile
I love a cheeseburger/fries casserole. It was in one of my Gooseberry patch cook books. Can or cheese soup, can of cream of mushroom soup, lb of hamburger browned and crumbled, top it with fries and I think it bakes for about 30 mins. Just watch the fries till they are done. Put a salad and baked bread and call it a life. We really like it.

I am ready to start cooking out now that the snow is almost melted. And went to a dinner last year and they took a flat iron steak rubbed it with thyme, garlic, salt & pepper and grilled it for just about 7 mins on each side it was sooooo good. just watch the cooking time depending on how you like your steak done...

d
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  3:24:12 PM  Show Profile
Do a Buffet style dinner! Cook up those things left in your freezer that are not quite enough for everyone. Then, line them up on the stove, counter top etc and let your family help themselves! It is a fun change and something unexpected for everyone.

Joanna #566
JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

krbrown@rocketmail.com
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Kim
Allendale MI
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  03:49:40 AM  Show Profile
Have breakfast for supper. We do that once a month when I get tired of making supper.
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  08:09:20 AM  Show Profile
I bet I fix breakfast for supper at least once a week!! It's fast and easy and I don't have to spend 1/2 my evening in the kitchen. :) Fortunately I have a husband who loves bacon so he doesn't really care if I fix breakfast frequently.
I am in the same boat though, I can't wait to start getting fresh veggies and grilling out!

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  12:22:57 PM  Show Profile
I get tired of making supper, but not having it... i'm ramping up on making soups and stews since I don't feel I've had enough this winter!

Have a salad bar! I know it's not the same if you don't have fresh veggies from the garden, but you can add other things, too... include different types of beans, such as kidney, garbanzo, black beans, etc. add some meats, like ham... maybe some boiled eggs. create your own salad dressings from scratch. as a side, add some bread, toast, crackers, cheese... just put everything in different containers and pick what you feel like for that day.

or crackers and cheese... pick some different meats, cheeses, olives, pickles, whatever you like to have for orderves... orderves for dinner!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

lulu bell
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Karen
Ashland NE
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  12:32:53 PM  Show Profile
I love to grill out even though they is snow on the ground and it is so cold, I too get tired of coming up with ideas for supper, probably because I do daycare and my little kids like more things than my own family.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  12:35:10 PM  Show Profile
I love cooking this time of year! Asparagus in season (cream of asparagus soup, grilled asparagus with olive oil and sea salt, proscuitto wrapped asparagus--I could go on!) and fish, lots and lots of fish. We also make a lot of Irish meals this month, corned beef and cabbage, boxty, potato bread and a beef stew that uses Guinness to make a rich broth.

This time of year is for simple, pure flavors, so I make a lot of potato gratins to serve with pork tenderloin (that you can throw in a plastic bag with marinade the night before) and chicken stuffed with farmhouse cheddar, apples and proscuitto. It's the precursor to summer and lighter meals in our house.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  11:13:49 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, you're making my mouth water! maybe over on the farm kitchen thread, you'll have to go into more detail about your Irish meals... I'm interested! What's boxty? it all sounds delicious!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  11:23:49 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Elizabeth :) I really love to cook...and I'm happy that I have a husband who will eat almost anything!

Boxty is a traditional Irish potato pancake. You can make them with leeks for a little kick.

There is an old "rhyme" about it, that's super cute...I always sing it when I make them :)
"Boxty on the griddle, boxty in the pan, If you can't make boxty, you'll never get your man"

I'd be glad to share some recipes~~they've all come from my husband's VERY Irish Catholic family...his great grandparents came here from Galway and remained very dedicated to their heritage in this country.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  12:03:38 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I'm in a rut, too. I am sick of meatloaf, roasts, spagetti, and pork chops. Thankfully, my hubby is not a picky eater neither is my daughter. He likes to cook to. We cook out all year round here.

I am looking forward to corn on the cob done on the grill.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Sick of Supper? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page