Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Edited to say I ordered my chicks!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Edited to say I ordered my chicks!!!! Next Topic  

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  04:52:00 AM  Show Profile
I ordered my chicks yesterday!! They will be here April 8!
I ordered 25- I only was going to start with half that but husband says we may as well have 25, lol!
I ordered 5 Golden Wyandotte's, 5 Cornish Rock, 5 white Plymouth Rock, 5 Buff Orpingtons, and 5 New Hampshire Reds. The Cornish Rock will be for meat, and probably the Plymouth Rocks will be too unless we get more Cornish Rock this spring.
H and ds and his friend will be building a coop this weekend. We are going to plan on letting them free range. Our landlord and next door neighbor used to live in this house, and he grew up taking care of chickens, so he says he will enjoy them being here..... and for the privilege of letting me have them, he and his wife will be getting eggs every week!
They are all pullets except the cornish rocks, which are straight runs, I figure if there's roosters in there it won't matter, since they won't be around for long....
Just how old are roosters when they start crowing anyways?!!

And I will have tons of questions!!!
I've learned a lot just looking back at the posts, but there is so much to learn in a short time!
I'll be back.....

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/

Edited by - LakeOntarioFarmgirl on Mar 12 2010 07:04:50 AM

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  05:24:10 AM  Show Profile
I don't know about Country Max. I got my first chickens at a livestock sale and while I was pleased with mine and with the person I bought from ihave heard some horror stories of diseases and stuff from other peoples farms. I started with 4 just for eggs and ghat was perfect for me. A year and a half later I ordered 25 more from Murraymcmurray hatchery. We now have about 30 or so(hatched a few eggs). And I love them. The biggest thing you need to consider is space 14 birds will require a lot of space both for grazing and in their nighttime housing. What kind of set up do you have for that??

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  06:46:37 AM  Show Profile
Brenda- I will be getting my chicks on the 24th. I ordered 40 White Rocks. They are meat birds. I was told by the man at Farm and Fleet they get just as big as the Jumbo Cornish, but in a longer period of time. So hopefully they can still get around and not just lay in the dirt looking all gross. This is my first time getting chickens. My mom, who lives down the road, has laying hens, ducks and geese. Mother knows best, so I will probably be bugging her all the time with my questions.

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  09:22:24 AM  Show Profile
We are working on the coop design right now. There is an existing shed on the property that would be perfect, but we are renting here and I wouldn't want to have to change housing for the chickens when we eventually do move. I am planning on a run and coop big enough for at least 14.
I was wondering about the run though and of course letting them free. We are on a busy country road, but they would be located at least 200 feet away from the road. I would like them to be able to roam free sometimes to partake of all the delicious things in the yard, but am I going to have to worry about them going in the road? If I provide them with gravel will they stay pretty close to their territory, or will they still wander? I guess I am thinking that chickens go near the road because of the gravel?
If it's a problem, I am going to do a portable run, something I can move around the property.
Still looking for different places to get my chicks!
Toby- you must be excited!!!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  1:26:51 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I am so happy for you Brenda!! Someday I would really like to have chickens too.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

Chives
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Victoria
Shelton Washington
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  1:35:53 PM  Show Profile
My hen just hatched 5 babies this morning. I just have bantys and wanted to get some chicks that lay larger eggs. I went to the feed store got 6 more babie chicks. Put them under the new mother and she accepted them. Of course she has her hands full. With having Rhode island reds, buff orphingtons, and black astrolops. I hope this is okay? vicki
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  2:12:21 PM  Show Profile
Wahoo! You're getting your chickens!! How great is that?? Good luck...and I'm sure the ladies here can help you with anything you need to know. I know they've helped me so far...and I don't even have mine yet!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  08:01:15 AM  Show Profile
Oh Brenda! That is so exciting!! My DH just finished my chicken tractor about two weeks ago and I was finally able to get hens this last weekend!! I bought mine at a Poultry Swap and got the business card from the people I purchased them from. I spent 1/2 the weekend just watching them. It was awesome!! AND, even though I hadn't expected to get any eggs for a week or two, we already had our first one on Sunday! Very small, but I did not care. It was brown and laid by my very own hens, so I was happy. :)

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Kim L.
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Kimberly
Knoxville TN
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  12:50:18 PM  Show Profile
Brenda,
Congratulations! We have had the best time with our "girls" the past few years -- have fun:)
Go to Top of Page

Laurie Rae
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Laurie
Bend OR
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  8:13:14 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, You may have already picked up your chicks. I have learned over the years, to be the first person there when the chicks arrive to the store, you will have the oppurtunity to look at everything and choose healthy happy pullets :) I never pick any little chick that is lying down or is isolated from the others. I was once in your shoes and just always used my intution with animals, its proven to be most effective. Pick up a beginers book at the local library and they will give you most every bit of information you should need for starting your flock. You will do great and best of luck. You will do great I know it!
-Laurie

While my mind is at work, my heart is back home on the farm.
Go to Top of Page

farm~maid
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Christine
IN
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  04:29:44 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, we've had good luck with both pre-ordering from feed/farm stores and purchasing outright at a farm store.
What breed laying hens did you decide to get?

You will enjoy them. Especially, as chicks.
I'm happy for you.

Christine......who's so very excited that our hens have finally started laying after their long winter vacation.
Go to Top of Page

dawnm
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Dawn
Blueridge Mts Va
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  8:01:43 PM  Show Profile
Brenda,

You go girl. Now you will be hearing the tune Cluck, Cluck here, and Cluck, Cluck there. Kind of corny (: There is a mag on the stand published by Mother Earth -GRIT - a Guide to Backyard Chickens. It has a lot of good and fun info in it.

Looking forward to hearing about your chicken venture/adventure.

Dawn

Small farm farmers rock!

Edited by - dawnm on Mar 10 2010 8:11:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  08:00:38 AM  Show Profile
Yeah! That is great! I love my buffs! My roosters started learning to crow around 4 1/2 to 5 months. I am butchering 2 next week! This will be my first time and I am so nervous about it!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Edited to say I ordered my chicks!!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page