Author Reading Room: Previous Topic "The Lovely Bones" Next Topic  

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  4:52:28 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone else read this book? I just finished the book. It was very good. I had trouble getting pass the first chapter. The details were so hard to read. But, the book is such a good read.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  5:00:10 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
What is it about Marly??
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  5:07:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi Channah:
It's about this young girl who is killed by this bad person. This is what the back of the book says: "My name was Salmon, like the fish; Susie. I was - murdered on December 6, 1973." "So begins the story of Susie Salmon, who is adjusting to her new home in heaven, a place that is not at all what she expected, even as she is watching life on earth continue without her-her friends trading rumors about her disapperance, her killer trying to cover his tracks, her grief=stricken family unraveling. Out of unspeakable tragedy and loss, The Lovely Bones succeeds, miraculously, in building a tale filled with hope, humor, suspense, even joy."
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  5:24:52 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
it sounds like a really good read!! Thank you!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  8:08:55 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh Marly - I read that a couple of months ago and I thought it was amazing, so well written that you almost don't notice the disturbing details. I don't think the movie would be the same way however, so I'm skipping that one. Do you know if she has written anything else?
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  11:30:08 PM  Show Profile
Would love to read it and later watch the movie when it is on DVD. They just showed a small part of the making of, and it seems like a wonderful movie and the book as well :)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  05:31:26 AM  Show Profile
I was thinking about getting it. I've passed by it several times in the bookstore. Now I think I will. I'm gonna pick it up tonight as going to the bookstore is usually something that I do on Saturdays. Marian, if you can wait a week or two until I am finished reading it, I will send it to you. Just let me know.

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  10:02:57 AM  Show Profile
WOW Marcy, are you sure?? Would love to, but...maybe it is expensive sending it out, no idea about mailing from the USA. But it WOULD be very appreciated ofcourse ;)

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  10:28:26 PM  Show Profile
It was very different, but good. I read it about 5 months ago. Haven't seen the movie though. Maybe when it comes out on DVD. maybe.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  03:15:14 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I also read it. I don't normally read those kinds of books. But, I did this time because it mirrored my sister's death. My father knew practically from the start who it was. But no one would listen to my father. On the eleventh hour of this murderer's death (electric chair for other murders) he admitted to killing my sister.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog...Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  04:21:03 AM  Show Profile
Julie, I am so sorry, that is so sad.

Hugs to you.

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page

Cowgirl Cocinera
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dana
Chelsea OK
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  3:17:07 PM  Show Profile
I read this book when it first came out a few years ago and thought it was a good story. I haven't checked to see if the author has written other books, but I would be interested in reading other books of hers and renting the movie. Dana

Cowgirl cookin' makes you good lookin'
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  4:50:22 PM  Show Profile
wow Julie, it must have been eerie to read this one then. What a hard thing to live with.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  6:27:38 PM  Show Profile
Amy Grace: I don't know if the author of "The Lovely Bones" has any other books. I did enjoy this book, after I got past the first chapter.
Julie: I'm so sorry about your loss.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  7:32:31 PM  Show Profile
The author is Alice Sebold, she has written a couple of other books, Lucky and The Almost Moon.
I really enjoyed reading The Lovely Bones, but haven't tried the others.

"You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd.....
But you can be happy if you've a mind to. All you've gotta do in knuckle down, buckle down and do it, do it, do it!"
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  03:16:33 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Thank You ladies for your thoughtful words. This book has helped me to understand and deal with her being gone. That everything happens for a reason being good or bad and that everything comes full circle. I am glad I read this book. Now maybe I can read "The Shack".

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog...Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  10:30:01 AM  Show Profile
Wow Julie what a lot to cope with. So sorry about what happened to your sister. I think you will find The Shack very healing.

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  11:29:45 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Judy... that is what everyone is telling me. I have had the book for about a year and have just been afraid to read it. But, now I think I am ready.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  7:13:47 PM  Show Profile
I have read all three of her books. I thought each was unique and left an impact on me..I would read anything she writes. I also read "The Shack" very recently. It was actually recommended to me by a gentleman I met at a 4-H Wildlife Skills training session. We just happened to be discussing books during a break. He said the book changed his life. Having put off reading the book for awhile, the fellow certainly piqued my interest. It was definitely "different", but made an imprint on my own heart with regard to forgiveness. I am glad I read it.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic "The Lovely Bones" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page