True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  12:51:18 PM  Show Profile
...the Public Library.
I swear it is one of the greatest deals of our society.
I used to be addicted to book buying and working in an independent book store didn't help with that particular addiction.
But, now, I get my books almost exclusively from the lib. They get me books from other libs and I have a looong list of books I want/need to read.
Sooo Hip Hip Hooray for the Public Library.
Patience and Fortitude forever
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  1:37:21 PM  Show Profile
I love the library, and rarely buy books anymore. It's a great resouorce for books on tape and DVD's too, all free!

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

RaspberryBee
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

Karen
Montrose Michigan
USA
291 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  2:04:53 PM  Show Profile
I love my library. I have been lucky that in every town we have lived in Michigan there has been a library nearby. Here in Montrose I can even walk there if I want. I just make sure it is before school lets out so I can safely clip my dog to the bike rack and into the building I go. My DH would have left me long ago if he had to buy every book I read. A couple of years ago the library had a calculator for you to play with and see how much you save by having a library card. I get about 40 books a month, about 20 recorded books a month and about that many DVD's. The savings were above $2000 - WOW! I about fell over. I was raised to love and appreciate libraries - not every does. Our local library has let staff go and are now closed on fridays. My librarian is stressed and over worked though she puts on a happy face. Times are tough when kids would rather play video games than read a book - my nephews are a case in point. I will gladly give three chees for our libraries!!!! Hip Hip Hooray!!!

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.
-Henry David Thoreau-
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  2:27:30 PM  Show Profile
Most definitely - I think the public library is one of the best inventions ever!! I just went today as a matter of fact, and yes if I bought all the books I read.....whooeee.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  06:16:11 AM  Show Profile
My grade school Library was a magical place.
It was an octagonal room with dark oak window seats on all the sides where you could curl up and just get lost in a book. The sun would stream through the leaded glass windows.
The school was in Detroit and closed a few years ago and I was so sad that no more little kids would be able to wrap up in that warmth.
Our librarian's name was Miss Rosen and she was young and beautiful and I wanted to be her. She let me work in the library on my lunch hour. Much better than going out on the palyground, I can tell you taht. She would suggest wonderful books for me to read.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  07:21:29 AM  Show Profile
Hip hip hooray
Hip hip hooray
Hip hip hooray

Agree 100% I read about 70 books a year and only buy the ones I absolutely can't live without - maybe 3 to 6 a year.
The cool thing about reading is that you can read whatever you want, when you want and aren't limited to whatever topics are on TV or radio. This last year I've been to Australia, Japan, China and around the USA through books I've read. I've learned about holistic cat medicine, herb growing, lasagna gardening, racism in the 60's, one of the real first pioneers of the West, James Beckwourth, how people lived in Alaska without electricity,..... can't beat the library!

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  4:46:05 PM  Show Profile
Oh the library is definitely a great place!!! I believe I have been going there for almost 50 years!! Now, they even have audio books you can download from your library to put on your computer or mp3 or ipod. I love that! When I am sewing or knitting I can still be reading!
I only buy books now, if I know I will use them for reference.
My library in Sodus, NY was picked the #1 library in the entire USA for 2 years in a row!!!! :)
It's in a beautiful old house that they kept as close to original as possible, and has the most friendly, helpful librarians ever!!!!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  4:47:38 PM  Show Profile
Brenda - your library just made my list of places to visit on vacation someday:)

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  03:48:29 AM  Show Profile
Okay Amy Grace, and if you come to my house first, I will take you there personally! :)

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  08:35:39 AM  Show Profile
:D

Farmgirl #224