Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Swap
 TOTE SWAP- Watch WooHoo! Applied 4 badge
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic TOTE SWAP- Watch WooHoo! Applied 4 badge Next Topic
Page: of 11

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  07:27:36 AM  Show Profile
Do you use reusable shopping totes??? Do you know that the plastic grocery bag is harmful to you, your children and your pets? For more information on the harmful effects that plastic grocery bags have on us and our environment go to : www.learnaboutenergy.org/gbags/facts.doc

I have been using reusable shopping totes for a year now and I'm loving it. I can get all the way from the check out to the car without a can of corn popping out the bottom of the bag and rolling across the parking lot. I am able to make 1 trip from car to kitchen because I have only 2 to 3 shoulder bags verses 25 handle stretched hole in the bottom plastic bags with 1 item in each. Of course, I don't have those 'free' trash bags anymore. Oh wait, I buy lots of critter feed (heavy duty paper trash bags). There are hundreds, no thousands, of reasons to stop using plastic grocery bags. Did you know that some stores will actually pay you to bring your own reusable bag. Brookshire's, here in Texas, gives you 15 cents each off your total bill for the number of reusable bags it takes to pack your groceries. Ask your local grocery store it they give a refund for being "environmentally friendly". I am working on my Going Green/Shopping Green expert badge and need your help to complete it.

With that said, How about a tote swap??? Totes can be handmade or purchased. I want everyone to be able to participate, not just those that can sew. There are some really neat purchased shopping totes out there. You can get a canvas tote from Hobby Lobby or Wal Mart and paint it. The possibilities are limited only by your own imagination. I would like to have 100% participation for all that sign up. I hate rules as much as the next farmgirl but hopefully the following will help eliminate some of the problems we have been having in recent swaps.
The rules of the swap and dates to remember:

1. Please sign up only if you are able to participate in a timely manner.
2. April 1 - Signups end
3. April 2 - email will be sent to all signups
4. April 5 - last day to post that signup reminder email was received. Only those that respond to the email will be partnered.
5. April 8 - partners will be posted
6. April 15 - last day to contact your partner and post successful or unsuccessful contact
7. April 16 - updated partners will be posted. Anyone not responding to their partner by April 15 will be removed from the list and partners reassigned.
8. May 15 (National Amend Fences Day) - last day to Mail your tote.
9. Post on this thread when you receive your new tote. Stay in contact with your partner or post on this thread if for any reason you will not be able to complete your swap in a timely manner. Please don't leave someone hanging.
10. Enjoy!!!

Update 03/18/10 - SWEET REPEAT - After seeing today's post from Shirley and the picture of the tote Melanie made I had a thought. Let's add a little adventure to this swap. Try to use recycled items. If you're sewing you could use old jeans or repurposed fabric, even feed sacks. If purchasing your tote try to add some repurposed/recycled embellishments. I remember a post sometime back where someone was using old clock parts as embellishments. When you complete the swap be sure to include a note about the items reused.

UPDATE 04/02/10 - Reminder emails have been sent. If you are still interested in participating in the swap please respond by 10 pm CST 04/05/10.

UPDATE 04/05/10 - Well everyone has confirmed and partners have been posted. There were 3 ladies that requested multiple partners. I did limit the number of partners for one person to 2. Please contact your partner no later than 04/15/10. Anyone that has not heard from their partner by that date please email me so that another partner can be assigned. At this point everyone that signed up has confirmed via email that they wish to participate in the swap. If at any point you discover that you are unable to complete the swap please contact me or your partner. Each set of partners will swap with each other so that you are sending to and receiving from the same individual. Thank you to all for participating and watch the "Woo Hoo" thread, I will be applying for my expert shopping green badge when the swap is complete. I am depending on you to get my badge. I have decided to wait until every swap is completed and every partner has a tote before I apply. So, please post as you receive your tote so that it can be tracked and let your partner know you got their precious gift. Pictures are nice. If you used recycled items be sure to include a note to your partner letting them know the story of its origin. You could also post that information. Others may be looking for your ideas. But above all else, enjoy!

Update June 15 - For the most part everyone that signed up participated and I consider the swap a big success. Thank you to all the ladies that took a step toward getting the plastic bags out of our landfills and off the side of our roads. There were a couple of ladies that sent out their totes but have not yet received a return. They have been angeled a tote with great love and thankfulness for the part that they played. Cindy was the winner of the tote drawing and should be receiving her tote in the next couple of days. All totes were sent out on Monday so they should be received by Thursday. As soon as I know everyone has a new shopping tote I'll put my application in for that badge. Thank you again to all and I do hope you will all continue to use reusable bags for all your shopping.

Join me in trying to make this world a better place for us and future generations.
Partner List:

EastTXFarmgirl/Victoria Received- foreverbooks/Carole Received

gspringman/Gail Received- Claude09647/Claudia Received

MaryLD/Mary Received - vintage saver/Oleta Received

Shirley Ann/Shirley Received - delicia/Delicia Received

Bag Lady Diva/Viola Received - quiltee/Linda Received

Kyria/Kyria Received - bdhughes77/Debbie Received

LindaJo/Linda Received- redbud/Christine Received

Laurie Rae/Laurie unable to contact- sassycasie/Casie Angeled/Received

ayates/Anna Received- cgonyer/Cindy Received

dianaw1123/Diana Received- lin/Lin Angeled/Received

shabby-mama/Nicola Received- jclambert/Judy Received

shabby-mama/Nicola Angeled/Received- necobia/Lois Received

necobia/Lois Received- Lady Jane/Alberta Jane Received

khartquilt/Kathy Received- Melanie47601/Melanie Received

khartquilt/Kathy Received - chick-chick/Liz Received

Tote drawing winner cgonyer/Cindy Received

Begin each morning with a song in your heart.

Edited by - EastTXFarmgirl on Jun 20 2010 06:01:34 AM

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  09:07:13 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Count me in Victoria! I'd love to help you earn your expert badge in Going Green/Shopping Green!

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  2:58:24 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Melanie. You are in. I hope the rule list does not sound too harsh. I tried to take some of the ideas the ladies presented in the swap issue discussed a little while back. It is really just a means to stay in touch so that partners know what is going on.

Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  3:58:38 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I appreciate your structured plan for the swap. I believe that a timeline should help the swap go along smoothly.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  7:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Count me in. Since I am already making bags for a swap within my chapter this is perfect. I'll just make an extra one.

Gail
Farmgirl #486

"use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without"
grammasladybug@blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  7:33:33 PM  Show Profile
I'm in!

Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  8:19:11 PM  Show Profile
Count me in Vitoria! I've been meaning to make some, so now I'll get to get to work on it.

Brenda

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony" Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  05:46:17 AM  Show Profile
Victoria, as much as I'd like to do this, I think at this time I need to take my name off the list. I have several swaps to finish before my back surgery. Hopefully I'll catch another one after I'm all fixed up!

Have fun girls, Brenda

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony" Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Shirley Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

Shirley
Beulaville North Carolina
USA
115 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  2:20:13 PM  Show Profile
sign me up. I've made some from jean skirts that really turned out nice. I like to recycle when i can.
Shirley

The distance between friends is never too far
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  7:55:50 PM  Show Profile
Brenda I'll keep you in my prayers. Keep us posted on your back surgery. Melanie, Gail, Mary and Shirley I got you signed up. I love tote swaps. I have gotten some really neat totes.

Go to Top of Page

Bag Lady Diva
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

Viola
Spearfish South Dakota
USA
130 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  9:50:32 PM  Show Profile
Victoria:

I would like to be counted in this swap. I ordered by MJ packet yesterday, so will start working on the the different badges. I will start with this badge. You mention that the bags can be purchased - so I take it the size should be 12 x 12? 15X 15? I guess what I am asking what is the size requirements? I will be making mine.

I am so excited!!!

Quilting in the Black Hills
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  07:23:33 AM  Show Profile
Viola there is no size requirements. You make what ever you want. I have gotten smaller bags that are great for tucking in my purse when I'm just making a small purchase run and I have gotten huge and I mean huge totes that are wonderful for packing those odd shaped but light items like toilet paper or cereal boxes. Any size has a use. So make whatever you enjoy making and I am sure your partner will enjoy using it. I have you signed up.

Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  11:26:44 AM  Show Profile
Hi Victoria,
Can I be added to the tote wap? It sounds like fun, I try to ues my totes whenever I can, it really does help, especially when bringing the groceries in to the house, as you said no more ripped bags and groceries rolling around.
Thanks,
Liz
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  4:28:56 PM  Show Profile
Liz, of coarse you can be added to the swap the more the merrier.

Go to Top of Page

Kyria
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kyria
Carthage TX
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  5:59:22 PM  Show Profile
Victoria, sign me up, please. I looove tote bags!
Go to Top of Page

foreverbooks
True Blue Farmgirl

514 Posts

Carole
Tombstone AZ
USA
514 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  10:22:28 AM  Show Profile
It sounds like fun. Sign me up!

Carole

In light, love, and friendship!
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  10:50:01 AM  Show Profile
I would love to be in on the tote swap....
delicia
Go to Top of Page

LindaJo
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Linda
Fargo ND
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  10:51:56 AM  Show Profile
Hi. Count me in for this one. Thanks.

Art cleans the dust of everyday life from the soul. Picasso
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  7:43:54 PM  Show Profile
Got you ladies in.

Go to Top of Page

Laurie Rae
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Laurie
Bend OR
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  7:51:01 PM  Show Profile
I am in for the tote swap! I am dying to try an "up cycle" project where I reuse something to make a tote bag, this will be the start!
Thanks,
Laurie Rae

While my mind is at work, my heart is back home on the farm.
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  07:02:42 AM  Show Profile
Sounds great Laurie, got you in.

Go to Top of Page

ayates
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

anna
hailey id
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  07:46:46 AM  Show Profile
Heck, yah! I wanna go greener. Stellar project, may I play!
Go to Top of Page

bdhughes77
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Debbie
Menomonie WI
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  12:05:39 PM  Show Profile
Please add me to the list. I know just what you mean about the can of corn rolling across the lot, unfortunately mine plastic bag disaster was a glass jar of pickles...fabric totes are the way to go!!

Thanks, Debbie

Count your blessings!
Go to Top of Page

vintage saver
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

oleta
wheelersburg ohio
USA
323 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  4:01:25 PM  Show Profile
I woulk like to be in on this. I can sew probably, as soon as I get my machine back that's on loan to my daughter who is making curtain valances. I'll be searching through my fabric stashes(many). I'm sure I havee some good material for totes.
Go to Top of Page

Dianaw1123
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Diana
Farmington MN
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  04:36:59 AM  Show Profile
I would love to be part of this one.

Thanks
Diana

"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built. "
Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  7:19:35 PM  Show Profile
Hey ladies so glad you are joining in, got you signed up.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic TOTE SWAP- Watch WooHoo! Applied 4 badge Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page