Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 If You Listen, You Might Hear It's Story...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic If You Listen, You Might Hear It's Story... Next Topic  

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  3:41:40 PM  Show Profile
If you listen you just might hear their story...

If you listen very quietly, you might hear their stories...Why were they left abandoned, their trials & tribulations, their joys & sorrows,,,,who where they, and why where they left alone to melt into the earth...
Both are out in the country, amidst thousands of acres of wheatland....one on the Palouse near Oakesdale, WA, the other out near Medical Lake, WA.
Where these once someones "dream"? A farm of their own? Did they loose their dream due to a bad economy or did the homeowners pass away leaving these behind as a fading memory?
The last pic is of firemamas hand...taking a picture of a bridge...she hates it when I take pic's of her so this time she can't fuss! lol!

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  3:45:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Grace, I love those pictures. I cant wait until this summer, I am leasure driving to Cali, through some of the old mining towns, there are so many lonely homes. I love these shots, I still need to upload mine. Not a bad picture of my hand either, lol.

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

Dont let the chain of love end with you.....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/justanotherhousewife
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  3:53:11 PM  Show Profile
Grace, beautiful pictures that speak a thousand words.

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  3:53:18 PM  Show Profile
These pictures do make me feel so sad. somebody's dreams just dying in front of us. I wonder how old that second house is. Next couple of snows might take it down. the first pic is a beauty of a house. Do you know how long it has been empty.
I bet that hand in the 3rd pic has a story to tell you. LOL

MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  4:54:45 PM  Show Profile
lol! yep...firemama's hand....actually she was driving but at that moment she hit the breaks so the 3 of us could snap a picture! lol!
The picture of the 1st house, is a house that has been vacant (that I know of) since last July...don't know if it was vacant before then, but since then it's really looking worn & tired and neglected.You can't see to well in the picture, but several of the windows are boarded up and the white paint is peeling off.
The 2nd house has been like that for some time....there are way to many farm homes up here like that one.
Oh & firemama & I have discovered we suffer from the same mallady,,,,"Barn Envy", yep, we get super excited when we spot old vintage barns....what can I say, Great minds think alike! lol!

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  5:29:26 PM  Show Profile
Thinking pictures. Makes me think of what once was. Thanks for sharing.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  5:35:38 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Those are beautiful in there own way. It does speak a thousand words! Thank you so much for sharing!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  5:50:25 PM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
Those pictures are great but it does make one think why? Now with our economy the way it is how many more places will we, be seeing all over our country. Mostly because of greed. People wanting more then they can aford and banks not wanting to work things out with the home owners. It is a lose, lose battle. Lets just try and see the dreams and the good no matter what. Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  6:19:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I wish I could find a place like that white house here in Billings! What a beautiful home and property!! I would move in in a heartbeat!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  6:45:25 PM  Show Profile
It's like looking back into tangible history. There's a house like that in my mom's area in GA that was built shortly after the Civil War. It's sad to see them just rot... Thanks for sharing some neat pics.

Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  7:26:40 PM  Show Profile
We live next door to a very old farm house that's been abandoned for years. I worked for the great granddaughter of the people who lived there. Both gone years ago. But the house is just going to fall in one day and I hate that. It makes me mad that some relatives bought it just for spite and will not do a thing with it. Just too sad. It's my favorite style of house too. With the 2 stories in the front and the long back with the kitchen and porch. I can see it from my house. There are several others out here just like it. Out in fields all alone. Barns, too. I just don't understand that.

I love that first house. It looks a little like mine. Way off the road like that. It's still pretty. I just wonder how many families have lived in these houses and how many stories they could tell if walls could talk.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

LBP
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Linda
Goodview VA
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  11:48:13 AM  Show Profile
I actually did a blog entry once about an old abandoned home in our area that was scheduled for demolition. Fortunately someone came to it's recue at the 11th hour and saved it! It is now being restored into a beautiful home. I wish old houses could talk.
Go to Top of Page

dawnm
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Dawn
Blueridge Mts Va
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  7:04:21 PM  Show Profile
Happy Ending for our home. My DH and I live in a house that was built in the 1830's. It is the original house in the neighborhood and the second house that was built in the town. At one point there was 13 acres on the deed. Now we have an acre and a third. It used to be called Fox Hill Manor. It was in complete disrepair and empty for years, but a young couple bought it and rennovated it. They did a good job. We have lived in it since 1995. On one side of the property was a large chicken coop. The soil is beautiful there. We have found bits and pieces of dishes, old bottle, and such in the area that was their dump. Linda, if you have lived in the area for a while you may recognize our home.

Dawn

Small farm farmers rock!
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  08:14:16 AM  Show Profile
It is sad to think those houses are sitting out their empty and dieing and there are so many people cramped into apartments and suburbs that don't want to be there. And with things the way they are there are folks loosing their farms and being sent into apartments etc and then the farms sit and die. What is wrong with that picture and when will we figure out how to do something about it?

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

jelliott
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Jennifer
Athol Idaho
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  11:51:29 AM  Show Profile
Hubby and I just went on a road trip to this area where the pics are taken and there are several more just like these just sitting abandoned. I wondered at the time about the families that lived there. Were the women farmgirls and did they love it as much as I do. Wonder what it was like back in their day when the house was first built, were they super excited as I have been when I had a house built? I do know that back in that day there weren't the conviences that we have today.

If music be the food of Love, play on. Wm. Shakespeare
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  9:59:58 PM  Show Profile
hey Beth, your right, it's so sad...

Jenn, I too wonder about the mothers, daughters, friends who came over for coffee & chats...who where they, what did they do, were they happy? and what did they do with their free/spare time? did they sew, paint, garden or just sit on the porch and enjoy a good iced cold glass of tea in the long hot summertime...if only the walls could talk.

Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic If You Listen, You Might Hear It's Story... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page