Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Another One Bits the Dust...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Another One Bits the Dust... Next Topic  

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  9:53:24 PM  Show Profile
Well, yet another small business woman has had to throw in the towel...
Today, kpaints, firemama & I took a crazy drive down the Palouse,the same route that we traveled for MaryJanes Farm Fest last summer.
We stopped off in Oakesdale to hit a delightful antique store...where kpaints put her shopping sleuthing skills to good use...then we went over to a sweet little Quilt shop called "Ditzys, Neats & Dumb Dumbs, in downtown Oakesdale, WA., Lori, the shop owner, told us that she would be closing her doors in about 3 weeks.... just not enough business to keep her shop open. How sad...
We are seeing more and more of this, small towns literally drying up.
Shops closeing and homes boarded up and walked away from.
How sad....

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  10:56:48 PM  Show Profile
It's happening here too. I have never seen so many empty stores.. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  03:25:38 AM  Show Profile
Somehow the fellow who runs our hardware and feed store is still in business. I think it really helps the locals when they need something and don't feel like driving 20 miles in either direction to get something.

Sadly, its all about location. And if Wal Mart or another big box store is anywhere NEAR, the smaller business don't stand a chance.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  04:54:04 AM  Show Profile
I wonder if she could just sell from home or the internet? That is sad. I try to only shop at the little store when I do need to shop. It just makes so much sense to me to support them and try to keep them going. It is hard for them these days especially when the big stores, and I won't mention names, have all these ads on tv about living better and saving more. Who doesn't want to do that? But I figure they have enuf money and they really don't need mine. So I'll support the other places.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  1:47:19 PM  Show Profile
It not only supports these stores but your sales tax dollars stay in your community and get spent for services which benefit you. You know the big stores usually get some sort of tax break which the little stores can't ask for. So the sales taxes you pay them actually offset the tax benefit they are receiving. So yes, it does make much more sense to shop locally and at the small stores. Plus you get the added benefit of meeting your neighbors

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  1:52:05 PM  Show Profile
it is sad... i know if my favorite local stores go out of business, i'll just cry! but, so far, it seems my fave antique stores and flea markets are getting more business lately than i've ever seen! every time i go in, there are a ton of people, most likely from the economy issues. i would hope that quilt shops would also thrive more....(audrey, you and i will definitely have to go antiquing in town!)

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  2:07:38 PM  Show Profile
that is sad...too many people want to shop in the big box stores or malls....that hurts the little guy

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  2:26:16 PM  Show Profile
It's a date Elizabeth and then we can hit the quilt shops! Keep those stores in business!

Audrey

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  2:28:23 PM  Show Profile
alright, Elizabeth & Audrey...you two have fun 'stimulating' the economy over in your neck of the woods...

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Mar 04 2010 2:28:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  2:31:36 PM  Show Profile
OK and you all keep your local shops thriving too! This is the right kind of "stimulous" this country needs! Ooops! I hope that wasn't too political, LOL!

Audrey

Edited by - acairnsmom on Mar 04 2010 2:32:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

colowyo0809
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

CJ &M
Dacono CO
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  11:49:55 AM  Show Profile
I must admit, ever since i've moved here i've found myself wanting to shop at the smaller stores more and more. part of our problem, however, is that fact that often you cannot find decent gluten free foods at manageable prices at the smaller stores, which means we end up at the larger markets. we are just lucky that my partner works for a local place that carries a nice selection of gluten free stuff. eventually, part of our plan is to stop buying processsed foods and make as much of our own as we can, even if it means putting more time into it. i'll keep ya'll posted as to how that goes ;-)
Matthew

Being a Farm Person is about more than whats under your clothes, or how much land you own. Its about living the life, even if you are in the middle of the city.
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  3:10:05 PM  Show Profile
Matthew... i was just curious where exactly Dacano is? a friend just e-mailed me not long ago about an event that i might be interested in going on in Dacano... but he wasn't overly sure where it was, either. He just knew it was close enough for those of us near the CO border to get to in a decent amount of time.

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Another One Bits the Dust... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page