Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Losing an Old Friend - Cajun Blue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Losing an Old Friend - Cajun Blue Next Topic  

oopsadaisy
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Maggie
Fremont Indiana
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  08:33:13 AM  Show Profile
I would just like a pay a tribute to our old, Australian Cattle Dog, Cajun Blue, who died this morning at 9:46, surrounded by his family.

Cajun was a rescue out of Michigan. We have had blue heelers for several years and after losing our old male...we decided no more puppies...we just wanted to rescue dogs that needed homes. The day we went to look at Cajun, he was in a back lot with at least a dozen other cattle dogs of various kinds. He was digging holes, digging up rocks and barking consistently. Not really the kind of prospect we were looking for! He got our attention though with BAD behavior! But the kind woman who ran the rescue assured us that he would be a good dog...if we would just give him a chance. So we loaded him up in our van and immediately he settled down between the seats, as if he had been waiting just for us. Within a few days (Heelers are so smart!) he learned the ropes of our wooded area. We don't chase deer, squirrels, or other wildthings and we definately don't dig up rocks or holes in the yard. He became an excellent family dog and an even better athlete picking up "ball playing" He loved to run along side the gator, go for lazy walks in the woods and lay in the sun. Anyone who visited was a new prospect for a long game of fetch, only stopping to jump in the pond, cool off, and up again for round two. When we moved to the farm, Cajun immediately caught onto the new routine of milking the cow, gathering eggs, and laying in the sun, while I would garden. He became a constant companion and a great listener. How hard it is to let him go now...

What would our journeys be without our four legged companions? They give so much meaning to everyday chores and duties. Thank you God for making dogs. You knew we would need them. Cajun is laying to rest by the woods, right between the barn and the house...where he can continue to keep an eye on the goings on of the farm and I can see his grave from my kitchen window. I will miss him dearly!

"People may not remember what you said or did, but they will always remember how you made them feel"

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  08:34:37 AM  Show Profile
Oh Maggie...so sorry for your loss :(

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  08:40:37 AM  Show Profile
I am so sad to hear of your dear friend passing. I love dogs too and know that he will be missed...Thank you for sharing the tribute to Cajun. *hugs*

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  08:48:30 AM  Show Profile
What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful and faithful friend. I love a good Blue Heeler...they are the jesters of the canine world! Cajun Blue sounds like he was right in his element with a family that knew just how to love him.

So sorry that you will miss him, but I know just after reading this how well-loved he truly was.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  08:57:32 AM  Show Profile
What a great dog and bless you guys for giving him a chance. He will be missed. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  08:59:15 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
Maggie, I am so sorry for your loss. Tears are in my eyes as I write this. My daddy always told me that "all dogs go to heaven" so I know it must be true. Thank-you for sharing your lovely tribute to Cajun Blue...great big hugz going out to you.

"God made rainy days so gardeners could get their housework done!" unknown

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  09:20:12 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Oh Maggie, where would we be without our four- legged friends?!?! They bring so much joy and happiness in our lifes, and it's so hard to see them go. I pray that he went quickly and painfree. It was wonderful that you were all there with him until his last. I bet you were all blessed to have been with eachother for so long. I'm praying for you and your family dear!
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  10:36:24 AM  Show Profile
Oh Maggie I am so sorry to hear about Cajun Blue. They do become such companions. And bring such joy. Prayers for you and your family.

Blessings, Brenda

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony" Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  11:25:16 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
maggie so sorry to hear about the passing of your beloved companion. we had a similar loss this year, and i still cant believe our cosmo is gone.
i do know that the wonderful memories do help us out. i still hear cosmo at night protecting the farm(she was a pyrenes)
you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

love
frannie in texas
home of "green"crafts,
where no scrap is left behind
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)
www.angeltree.etsy.com

check out the farm at:
www.localharvest.org/farms/M24434
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  11:27:10 AM  Show Profile
Oh Maggie. I am so sorry for your lose, but so glad he had you in his life.
Hugs, Gena

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  6:58:50 PM  Show Profile
Cajun Blue sounded like an incredible dog--I can imagine how much you miss him. Dogs give us their all, in return for scraps, a warm place to lie, and lots of petting. And they are such loyal creatures--God knew that we humans would let each other down, so He created the dog. (((hugs)))
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  7:38:22 PM  Show Profile
Dear Maggie, you rescued him but I think he rescued you back. May he rest in peace and always remain in your fond memories. Dogs are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. I am sorry for your loss but maybe when you are ready you can rescue another.

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  06:42:33 AM  Show Profile
Dear Maggie,
My heart goes out to you and your family. You gave your pet a wonderful, happy home. Your tribute was beautiful. Hugs to you and your family from mine!

Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  07:31:22 AM  Show Profile
Maggie,

What a beautiful tribute to your wonderful friend!

It seems that you and Cajun chose one another and it was meant to be. He sounds like he was a great dog, a special friend, and a valued member of the family.

One of my dogs is my companion and the other one reminds me of Cajun -- after we play Frisbee she has to immerse herself in the water in the little pool!

I'm sorry for your loss. Hugs to you, Karin
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  3:09:49 PM  Show Profile
Our four legged friends help and guide us in the most amazing ways. Sorry for your loss.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  5:22:43 PM  Show Profile
Maggie:
So sorry for your loss. I will say a prayer for Cajun.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  5:42:42 PM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
I am sorry Maggie, some people do not know that a loss of a loved pet is just as bad as a very close friend or family member. I am so sorry for your pain right now. I feel it just as I felt it when I lost my pet in 2000. Somethings alive or dead last forever in our hearts. Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  2:02:03 PM  Show Profile
Maggie, your tribute to your old friend was very moving, you can tell by this post that he was much loved and had a wonderful life. My deepest sympathies to you. (((((Hugs)))))

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  2:08:02 PM  Show Profile
(((HUGS))))

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus ...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
My Etsy: Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures ...http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Losing an Old Friend - Cajun Blue Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page