nitere
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Amy
Hickory NC
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  05:39:26 AM  Show Profile
I just moved into a house that has a gas heater in one of the rooms. It is the kind that looks like a little stove with "wood" in it. It is controlled by a thermostat on the wall. I have never had a gas heater and I am a little scared of it. For those of you with experience...when I want to turn it off when we are out of the house, do I just need to turn the thermostat down all the way (leaving the pilot light on) or do I need to actually turn the gas off to it (not the main line, but the knob that is actually on the heater)?

Thanks!

http://www.buraellen.blogspot.com

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  08:20:05 AM  Show Profile
Most gas heaters have a pilot light that stays on all the time. So that when you turn up the thermostat it will kick on. When we would not need it for the summer we would turn of the main gas and that would shut off the pilot. Then we would have to light it when we started it up in the fall. I would do some looking for a user manual for that stove but I would just turn it down when you leave and let it be.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  4:39:16 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Diana. We have a gas fireplace in our family room. It has a standing pilot. Turn it all the way down when you leave. It will be fine. We also turn off the pilot in the summer time. Just have to relight it when it gets cold again. That is, unless it has an electronic ignition, then you don't have to worry about the pilot light.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Question about gas heater Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page