traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  7:20:45 PM  Show Profile
Lately I will wake up during the night at unearthly hours and not be able to go back to sleep for several hours. I have tried praying, reading the Bible, knitting, doing Bible study, crossword puzzles. But what I really want is to not wake up in the first place.

I asked a medical person and she reccommended valerian root or melatonin. I got some of both. I tried taking the valerian (liquid form). It is unpalatably bitter. Is there something to mix it with that will not affect the efficacy of the valerian? I tried adding it to a tablespoon of honey and that was ick.

I see my regular doctor tomorrow afternoon and will ask her for help. I do not want to take sleeping pills because I don't have any trouble getting to sleep; it's just staying asleep.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  8:41:50 PM  Show Profile
I take 2 valerian root pills a night. I also have a cd that is soothing sounds that i listen to with earplugs.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  12:49:42 PM  Show Profile
If you don't mind my asking....how old are you?
My sleep problems didn't start until my mid 40's. Now, even though I am still getting my periods, things have calmed back down for the most part. I still wake up sometimes, but not as much. I did take melatonin for a while, but am so glad I didn't need it for long.
If you are younger than that, you might want to try the melatonin. I guess it will help you to stay asleep too.
What is Valerian Root? My daughter, who is 26, got so messed up working nights as a nurse, that even now that she is on days, she will still sometimes have the occasional sleepless nights.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  7:02:32 PM  Show Profile
Loyce,

I take 1000mg calcium and 500 mg magnesium before bed and it really helps with my sleep. Even if I need to get up in the middle of the night I can pick up where I left off. I hope you can get good rest and peaceful sleep!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  7:58:59 PM  Show Profile
Nightwaking is the pits!
Valerian root can come in tablets, so you do not have to taste it.
There is a remedy from Hyland's homeopathic called Calms Forte' that can be very helful. I sometimes take a larger dose than they recommend- it seems to help me to do that.
Nightwaking can be from low blood sugar, stress, hormonal changes, and other causes. Stress and hormonal changes can be helped with B vitamins during the day, borage oil or evening primorose oil AND also fish oil capsules at meals. Vitamin D may help. I agree, calcium and magnesium can be very, very helpful at night. 5- Htp, a supplement, precurses seratonin. Taking a dose ( not sure of the dose, sorry) before bed can help with sleep and mood.
Sleep deprivation is very hard on the system.
I wih you the best!
~ Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  9:56:27 PM  Show Profile
I recently read an article online that included several things that would help you sleep. Basically, I think if you had oatmeal with a banana, honey, almonds, flaxseed and warm milk, that would be the ticket! There were a couple other things mentioned, which I forget, cause I focused on what a nice bowl of oatmeal that would be. Oh, it included the obvious, chamomile tea. Good lucK!

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  07:55:00 AM  Show Profile
.. I tuck under my pillow a little muslin bag filled with dried lavender, when I come to bed I flip my pillow to have that scent near my nose. Might help?

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus ...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
My Etsy: Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures ...http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  3:38:53 PM  Show Profile
my mom used to make me warm milk with honey wroked like a charm and still does
also lavender and chamille tea helps but if your in your changes all bets are off..lol

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  4:45:15 PM  Show Profile
I was just going to say Chamomile tea...but you know what works for me? Cocoa of all things with milk! Just thinking of it makes me drowsy!

"The best mirror is an old friend."
- George Herbert

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

barefootmama
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Jennifer
BLOOMSBURG Pennsylvania
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  01:24:41 AM  Show Profile  Send barefootmama a Yahoo! Message
Make sure you get plenty of exercise during the day wether intense, or something as simple as a long walk with family after supper. Exercise is a natural way to de-stress and unwind,especially with a friend,vent about what troubles you and get it off your chest before you settle in for the night so your subconcious mind wont fret while you are asleep.......good luck I hope one of the many suggestions helps you:)
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  8:15:22 PM  Show Profile
Traildancer,
I was having trouble sleeping when I found I was low on Vitamin B1 and D. I have been taking a Mega B stress vitamin along with vitamin D. These have worked wonders for me. Hope one of these farmgirl remedies works for you soon since it is so terrible to not be able to sleep when you need to. If you haven't had your thyroid checked maybe think of doing that also. Sweet Dreams!

barnagainkristin

"Others Before Self"
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  8:41:25 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Caffeine affects my sleep the worst. I can not drink regular tea, but only regular ice tea. Hot tea it doesn't matter. And Mountain Dew, if I have it after noon, I will not sleep. Well I will fall asleep for about an hour or two, then I'm awake for the rest of the night.
Hope you get it figured out. Going without sleep is awful! {{hugs}}

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  1:29:36 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for all your responses. I have had some success with placing my Bible under my pillow and wearing socks to bed. Mostly I have come to grips with the idea that I will be waking up and it doesn't bother me. However, a few people have commented that I look tired and I think my undereyes (is that a word?) look funny.

My doctor is always on me to take more vitamin D so maybe I will try that and the B vitamins. I have stopped drinking Diet Pepsi but I still drink tea. But at night I drink decaf tea.

Thanks again for your support. I'll keep in touch.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

birdie71
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Robin
Glendale Arizona
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  1:01:55 PM  Show Profile  Send birdie71 a Yahoo! Message
I agree with the above responses ~ exercise helps, no caffiene in the evening, lavendar, valerian root (the nights I have had a cup of chamomile tea with valerian root, I sleep FANTASTIC) and definately pray about it!

Robin
Farmgirl #1301
Farming in the Sonoran Desert? Hmmm?!
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Sleeping problems Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page