Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Bladder problems; Advice appreicated; pinkroses
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Bladder problems; Advice appreicated; pinkroses Next Topic  

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  12:32:09 PM  Show Profile
Hey yall
I have a bladder problem; one of my many diseases and condtions
I have a stressed bladder
Heck , with every thing that is wrong with me my whole body is stressed out. lol
I am going to my family doctor Monday to discuss My health problems and to get some different meds on Gentric co pay
Questions.
If you have bladder problems
Do you Take medication for it?
What type of medication is helping you?
Do you have to wear pads?
Which ones do you like
I have to wear thick ones.
I am using the thickies poise.
I sometimes change in the morning and the evening
and when I go out somewhere I have to change when I get home
Advice will be much appreciated.
Thanks and hugs pinkroses

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  1:01:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sheila,
I have interstitial cystitis which is inflammation and thinning of the bladder lining. It causes a lot of infections like bladder infections and UTIs.
I am ot on medications for it unless I have flareups. Right now, I am using cranberry capsules (9000mg a day) and hot lemonjuice and water for bladder infection flareups.
I have to wear at least liners all the time and sometime pads depending how my day is going. I tried the Poise ones before but they were so uncomfortable.
I am only 27 and it used to drive me crazy when I would get stressed out and have to use them.
I was actually to the Drs today and they said that as I got older the problem could get worse, but to keep doing what I was doing.
No caffeines, lots of water, not a lot of sugar, and trying to relax as much as I can. Stress was making it worse.
I would make sure to tell your DR everything that you think is related to the bladder problem whether its hereditary or just stressful. If he can give you something for the stress, it may help to work on that first and the bladder issue will do something on its own, or you if it doesnt thats wen its a good things its ruled out and you can look for other underlying causes. :)
Hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work You don't give up.

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

momshopsalotta
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Connie
Hertford NC
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  3:13:27 PM  Show Profile
When I was tested before my hysterectomy my doctor found that my bladder had dropped and he sewed it up. It was the greatest decision of my life. My friend just had her bladder put up in a sling and said it was not bad at all. Now this is only if the bladder has dropped. If you problem is with other bladder issues the surgery would not work.
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  3:33:30 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I have had the bladder problems get worse over the years. I wear pads all of the time though they don't always get wet, I never know if I'll cough or sneeze and totally soak. A few times I have suddenly lost all control and could not stop the flow or hold it at all.
I went to a urologist years ago who told me that acids irritate our bladders and not to drink orange juice or eat tomatoes....the big acid things.
Of course no caffeine or soda. I didn't give up on any of those foods or drinks I just cut way down.
Dr. is giving me meds now --the one they advertise on tv. She said it is described differently in the commercial but the meds could work for me too. I have some times worse than others, but I'll avoid surgery as long as I can.

When the jokes are made about DEPENDS or wearing adult diapers....it is not funny to me. People laugh and joke like it will never happen to them!

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
BLESSED ARE THE CRACKED FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT!

Have a wonderful Farmgirl New Year!!
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  7:18:55 PM  Show Profile
I completely agree with you on the jokes Linda. It won't be quite so funny if heaven forbid they should ever have to deal with it.

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work You don't give up.

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  7:25:32 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Danny boy has to wear night diapers and has outgrown all the kids sizes...he can't wake up to go at night and with the sensory disorder can't feel the need even sometimes during the day. He is in adult Depends now...he is ok about it and I am so glad that it doesn't bother him. He didn't want to wear them to school but he's ok with always needing them at night. A kid is real big to wear adult size..they are huge! He calls them TENAS because of the commercials on tv...I just wear pads but when he runs out of the pants I put 3 or 4 of my pads in his pants to sleep....
Yep, you do what you have to do.
:-)

Linda in Scranton, PA
farmgirl #71
BLESSED ARE THE CRACKED FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT!

Have a wonderful Farmgirl New Year!!
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  10:24:48 PM  Show Profile
Have any of you been told that your bladder problems are caused by a history of a lot of heavy lifting? I've always been one that will try doing it myself and only at the point of frustration will ask for help.

My grandmother(paternal) has a fallen bladder. I take after her with a lot of my chemistry, but not all. It seems as though after my first child my bladder weakened and when I would get a cold or laugh hysterically I would have a problem. Now that I'm in my 40's sometimes even lifting a hay bale will give me a problem(about 50#). When I get a cold now it is much worse then 20 years ago. But with no health insurance I don't go to the doctor unless it is something I can't live with. I'm living with this but not liking it.

Just wondering if any of you have heard that or not?

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  3:34:38 PM  Show Profile
I agree that it is no laughing matter
I have had my bladder tied up. it is still up my family doctor says
I had tried the med before ; but it hurt my stomach
pinkroses

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  8:15:56 PM  Show Profile
OK, listen.......I'm a urology nurse. We see all kinds of people with all kinds of bladder problems everyday. The No.1 thing is avoid all caffeine in any form....coffee, tea, cocoa, chocolate, Pepsi, Coke, etc. Remember even decaf has some caffeine in it. Caffeine is a bladder irritant and has diuretic qualities. No. 2 for you 'leaky bladder' ladies--it's often anatomical(childbirth related)Kegel exercises often help some. If not, there are some great new surgical procedures out there. No. 3 IC....find the IC diet and follow it religiously for a while. See if it helps. If it does, then you can sometimes start adding things back in and see what you can eat or drink and what to avoid. There are also some medications that are of benefit. If you want a copy of the IC diet email me and I can send you one. It's a little bit more than just things with acid. The best place to start with any bladder problem is usually to completely eliminate caffeine first. Some people improve dramatically.

Off my soapbox now.

Marcia

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2009 :  2:59:21 PM  Show Profile
I also have a leaky bladder. Happened with my first baby and has gradually, but progressively, gotten worse with age. I'm now almost 51. I've done a bazillion kegels but they didn't work for me. I wear a medium weight pad, my fav brand is Serenity. The leaking is mainly when I sneeze, cough, throw up, etc, any kind of stress. I recently had back surgery and had a bad cough after and wore a depends. It wasn't as embarassing as I thought it would be. It was convenient.
For what its worth, I find that if I have a bad cough or something, inserting a tampon vaginally will stave off most leaks. I have no interest in having surgery. And for what its worth, it has not effected my sex life at all. Hubby isn't bothered and its not really an issue in bed anyway.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Meadowflower
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Lisa
Harrisburg Pa
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  05:41:59 AM  Show Profile
I've been experiencing a lot of bladder infections - irritated lining and bleeding. I have one now as a matter of fact. My grandmother also had a fallen bladder (as someone mentioned above) so maybe bladder issues run in the family. Who knows.

I have been on two different antibiotics - nothing helped. Doctor (I see her next week) has threatened to send me to a urologist if it doesn't clear up , who's just going to find inflammation and charge me $300 for an appointment (money which I do not have). I checked a couple of books (Back to Eden and another herbal remedy book in the bookstore). I've been taking Goldenseal (as antiseptic), Shepard's purse tea (to heal/soothe the lining and stop bleeding) and ew ew ew warm garlic water (anti-bacterial qualities - crush two cloves of garlic, pour some warm water over, steep, drink). The bleeding is definitely slowing - I can see the difference in the urine. I really saw the most difference when I took the garlic water and the goldenseal. Unfortunately, the garlic water gives me very painful intestinal gas nearly immediately after drinking it. I wish it didn't do that to me, because it seemed to work well.

Also taking a product called UT Answer (by Nature's Answer) which has D-Mannose and cranberry extract. This really works for me to help keep any bad bacteria from sticking to the wall of the bladder, so that the lining can heal.

I'm not sure what's going to happen next week when I go to the doctor - if I still have bleeding she'll send me off to the urologist. But I do know I'm feeling better and seeing a difference, where antibiotics were not helping me so far.
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  11:04:15 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, have you ever tried getting homeopathic items from Herbal Healer Academy? They have a website www.herbalhealer.com we've been ordering from there for 4 years now and everything has been great.
Do you have any colloidal silver? Their's is 500ppm and we use it at the onset of any infection or even cold symptoms. When we take it we take 1/2 tsp 2x daily until the problem has resolved for a couple days then we stop. It's fantastic an it would sure be cheaper than your $300 urology bill. You have to become a member, but it doesn't cost anything and they will send you a printed catalog and fliers a couple times a year of products they have newly developed.

Good luck at the doctors next week.
Cindy

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  12:59:51 PM  Show Profile
My mil has had almost a continuous bladder infection for the last 5 years or so. As soon as she goes off antibiotics, it comes right back again. She's had the surgery to shore up her fallen bladder, and also a hysterectomy. She's never mentioned her doctors telling her to cut out caffeine, so next time she tell me about her bladder problems I'm going to pass this info on. (Not meaning to trash out her doctors, chances are she's been told and just didn't do it.)
Go to Top of Page

Meadowflower
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Lisa
Harrisburg Pa
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  3:06:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi Cindy. I've not tried homeopathic for utis, nor have ever tried colloidal silver (never been comfortable to take that product). I will look into the homeopathic idea though and thanks! What homeopathic remedy is for utis, do you know?

*~Lisa~*

Edited by - Meadowflower on Jan 28 2009 3:15:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2009 :  09:00:02 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, mind you I'm not a homeopath, just someone who will use natural before going pharmaceutical. (my disclaimer)
HHA has a U.T.Clear and it says this:
In my consultations I am coming across a great many more chronic Urinary Tract Infections. I wanted a product that was very potent and would really help clean out the urinary tract. This is an exclusive HHA herbal formula with traditional herbs used for their antiseptic, diuretic, and astringent action on the urinary tract. This product is helpful when dealing with UTI's. Therapeutic dose for adults - 2 caps 3 times/daily for 10 days(1 bottle). This product can be used as a detoxifier for chronic problems with the urinary tract - Adults - 2 caps twice a day for 4 weeks. Drink 3 extra glasses of water a day to help with detoxification process. Contains Cranberry Fruit 200mg, Bearberry- 200mg, Three leaved caper 150mg, Buchu 150mg, Echinacea 50mg, couch grass 50mg, clivers 50mg.

You would have to go online to the website for the current price, but some time ago it was $21.95/bottle (60 capsules).

Mind you that I only typed above what my catalog update said. Those aren't my words. Having said that, we have never been dissatisfied with anything we've ordered from there.

Let me know if you order and it helps your problem. Personal testimony is always great to hear.

Cindy

Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Cindy
Elkhart TX
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  8:12:22 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by CRshelpmeet

I have interstitial cystitis which is inflammation and thinning of the bladder lining. It causes a lot of infections like bladder infections and UTIs.
I am ot on medications for it unless I have flareups. Right now, I am using cranberry capsules (9000mg a day) and hot lemonjuice and water for bladder infection flareups.
I have to wear at least liners all the time and sometime pads depending how my day is going. I tried the Poise ones before but they were so uncomfortable.

Jesse,

I too have IC, but I am a little confused with your post. IC is actually the absence of UTI. Thats how they discovered the bladder lining problems you described, because the IC patients all had UTI symptoms but did NOT have infections when tested. Although people with IC can still get UTIs, the IC problems are specifically not caused by UTIs. So I am wondering how your cranberry and lemonjuice treatments are working as those should absolutely KILL an IC patient due to the acid in them. For UTIs, they work great for prevention. For IC, a killer (painwise).

I have had IC since 1995, finally diagnosed in 1996. Thought I was dieing, it was horrible. Back then IC medication was still in trial, and I didn't want to take medication. But researched the disease thoroughly and went the change in diet route - that is when I found out that all the acidic things were making it all worse (like cranberry and citrus products, and sooo much more it is mind boggling). I went strict diet with no acid items at all, and got much better... got rid of about 75% of the problem as long as I was strict - and I mean strict.

Then I found acupuncture. Went for three years, it all but cured me. I was back to eating whatever I wanted until a year ago... then those little twinges started coming back so I have modified my diet a bit again.

Just wondering what our doctor has said about treating IC with these acidic problems, and if you are solving one issue and inadvertently causing issues with another without knowing it.

Best wishes.

Bread the Mary Jane Way
- started Mother 6/28/09
- Hodgson Mill Organic unbleached flour
- well water w/ reverse osmosis filter
- feeding twice as much once a day to eliminate excess hooch
- first sourdough loaf 7/25/09 - GREAT!
- using KA bread flour for loafs
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  8:58:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi ladies!

I am another that has some "leaking" issues. For the past month I have had a cough and the leaking is so bad when I am coughing. :( I am cutting out caffeine and soda so hopefully that helps!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  9:05:33 PM  Show Profile
I'm leaky as well, I have been taking cranberry capsules to reduce the UTI problems that I have a lot, but as for leaking, I just use the thick pads to help me keep my clothing dry...it's awful to have a frisky bladder like this, darn it!!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  3:10:02 PM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies!
There are physical therapists who treat gyn issues ONLY, and thought not everyone lives near one, they can help greatly in cases that do not respond to kegels. A good kegel tool is "Smart Balls" which were being carried at www.paxbaby.com, a site for moms and babies. It is the top pick of midwives and nurse practioners. ( I fall into that catagory!)
I had a gyn client who had issues w/ a leaky bladder that kept her from walking her dog more than 20 minutes. I referred her to a cranial osteopath who treated her with gentle manipulations to replace the bladder, which solved the problem. Subtle forces that escape modern medicine can sometimes be tracked and treated by alternative providers. Homeopathy, anyone?
~ Mary LD
Texas

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  3:31:33 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Hi farmgirl sisters,
Over the years I have had an increasingly weak bladder problem...especially during sleep. I found that if I drink at bedtime and during the night it gives me more to lose thru the bladder...though my meds make me very thirsty. Also soda, coffee and juices are all irritants and just cutting those down or out makes a big difference.
Recently I had the physical therapy for incontinence and basically she had me do Kegels and a machine that measured the intensity or strength of those muscles...I won't go into more detail here but you can guess. She also said that any excercise to strengthen the pelvic floor would help. There are lots of muscles there. My doctor says that I could take the new med for it at night....sometimes I do....or get surgery to put my bladder up in place. As we know childbirth affects this part of our bodies when we are young and menopause does it when we get older. Dr did say that this is not "normal part of aging".
So my solutions are to wear a pad most of the time...a couple bad accidents out in the car...
do try to keep up the exercises....willpower and habit
and to watch what I drink or how much
I did notice that I can't put off going like I used to and just listen to my body and go potty when I can.

For many years I told the nurses when wanting urine tests that I can always go on demand any time...that's true.

God bless us all and I feel better knowing it isn't just me.
Sometimes I think my body is growing old too fast, I am only 59.

Linda in Scranton, PA
Go to Top of Page

sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2009 :  1:36:55 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies! I wanna add my two cents.I have had bladder infections my whole life. Years ago, a high falutin doctor in Las Vegas told me I had Interstitial Cystitis. He wanted to inflate my bladder with liquid, like a water balloon and run all kinds of expensive tests. I refused. I went to a friend of mine who is an herbologist. Here is what she told me. Get Pau D'Arco bark from the health food store. Put a fistfull in a saucepan of water. Boil 15 minutes, let sit 15 minutes. Drink 3 times a day, till you feel better, then on occasion for maintenance. This will completely remove all symptoms of IC. Can be used for bladder infections as well. The main thing you MUST do to avoid bladder infections is PEE IMMEDIATELY AFTER SEX!!! I can't stress this enough, and it's never talked about. This has virtually stopped my bladder infections in their tracks. You can also rinse the urethral opening with a goldenseal tincture after sex, but really, peeing rinses it out nicely. Good luck, and I hope this helps!

Shari
Farmgirl Sister #607
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  11:50:08 AM  Show Profile
I have the food issues that go with IC, but not the small bladder. What other types of conditions act liked IC with a normal bladder? I have been searching for answers for over a year. I wonder where 2009 went. I missed most of it. The couch was my best friend. I want to get this over and have a wonderful 2010.
Go to Top of Page

birdie71
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Robin
Glendale Arizona
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  1:13:41 PM  Show Profile  Send birdie71 a Yahoo! Message
Sheila,
I have found, for me, I have to take a cranberry pill very day. It has 500mg of cranberry powder in it. Plus I drink about 3 quarts of water a day. If I don't do both of these things, I get dehydrated and get bladder infection. As long as I do this, all is well.

Robin
Farmgirl #1301
Farming in the Sonoran Desert? Hmmm?!
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Bladder problems; Advice appreicated; pinkroses Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page