melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  10:44:01 AM  Show Profile
Heard my first cardinal this morning and spotted him on our tree outside the dining room window. Come to think of it I have been hearing a lot of new birds in the last few days ...Ahhhh can spring be far behind?

"The best mirror is an old friend."
- George Herbert

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  12:17:14 PM  Show Profile
I have seen lots of Cardinals. I always make a wish when I see the first one.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

RaspberryBee
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

Karen
Montrose Michigan
USA
291 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  12:29:45 PM  Show Profile
Not sure how far north you are in our beautiful state but we have had cardinals all winter long. Since we have been in this house we have had cardinals for our winter watching but this year we have had a jenny wren for the first time. He/she built a new nest in his/her summer birdhouse. I would love to know why they stayed. I do so love catching a flash of red out of the corner of my eye as I wash dishes and then find the cardnial pair in the big pine tree. Simple pleasures. I am waiting for the first robin sighting which is usually mid-March.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.
-Henry David Thoreau-
Go to Top of Page

lulu bell
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Karen
Ashland NE
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  12:30:00 PM  Show Profile
We always look for robins as our tell tale sign that Spring is right around the corner, we saw our first one last Thursday, when my kids were little we would have a picinic on the day that we saw our 1st robin this year it was 20 and we still have alot of snow but hopefully it will arrive soon!
Go to Top of Page

RaspberryBee
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

Karen
Montrose Michigan
USA
291 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  12:40:59 PM  Show Profile
I am glad to know that the robins are making their way back north. Love the idea of a picnic as the prize for seeing the first robin :-)

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.
-Henry David Thoreau-
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  2:27:00 PM  Show Profile
Bear Five....waaaaaay up North.

Maybe because we live in town? They are few and far between at my house and it is such a pleasure to hear them sing and see that bright red flash of color amidst all this white!

"The best mirror is an old friend."
- George Herbert

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

RaspberryBee
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

Karen
Montrose Michigan
USA
291 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  2:50:44 PM  Show Profile
If I had put two and two together I would have figured out you were somewhere near Hiawatha National Forest. It is monday and though the sun is shinning and the sky is crystal blue I am a little behind :-) Here is to signs of spring and songbirds for all...soon.

-Henry David Thoreau-
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  3:25:57 PM  Show Profile
I've seen a couple of robins the last week or so.

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  8:07:27 PM  Show Profile
I heard a robin singing Saturday but couldn't spot it. A sure sign of Spring! yeaaaa! What do those poor creatures eat when there's still 10 inches of snow on the ground yet??? I make sure all my feeders are full and 2 suet feeders are out for other birds....but what do those poor robins eat?

Sister-chick# 905(Oct.7th2009)
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  04:39:28 AM  Show Profile
We've had cardinals all winter long as well, but they've been getting a lot more vocal lately! The blackcapped chickadees are becoming more & more frequent visitors to the feeders. I need to keep an eye out for the goldfinches - when they start to turn, I'll know spring is almost here!

Farm Girl #790

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  06:46:54 AM  Show Profile
I am happy that your birds have started to return, but sad because they are now leaving my part of the country! I have been inspired to try to attract more birds this spring and summer. I have th emost amazing pair of cardinals in my front yard and pear tree. They are my favorite.

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  10:44:57 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
I saw my first robins yesterday, as I was hanging out the laundry. Our weather is unseasonably warm, 60 yesterday but still freezing at night. I am loving it, did a little work in the yard too.

A person will be just about as happy as they make up their mind to be. Abe Lincoln Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com http://www.thevintagebaglady.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  7:02:28 PM  Show Profile
I saw a couple of robins about two weeks ago! today I saw my daffodils coming up. HAPPY SPRING !!!
Go to Top of Page

nitere
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Amy
Hickory NC
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  7:35:02 PM  Show Profile
We have had quite a few robins in the yard this week. I am so ready for spring!

http://www.buraellen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  08:30:07 AM  Show Profile
I saw quite a few robins together yesterday and I've noticed the birds' singing have gotten a bit louder lately. Only a week before I was only hearing crows cawing, now there are different types of birds calling.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Birds are back!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page