kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  05:21:20 AM  Show Profile
She's limping on her front left leg. She was fine when I let them all out yesterday morning. I was gone a while and when I came home and put them back up to feed them she could barely walk. She just hobbled across the yard. I felt all over and there doesn't seem to be anything broken. Her hoof is fine. I am now thinking that the other older doe, Faith, has head butted her in the shoulder and it's just bruised. She is getting bad at that.

So this morning she's still limping but not as bad. Should I be too concerned? Or just wait and see if she gets over this? I bet that's what happened. But I wonder if she's twisted it somehow on a fence.

She's almost 8 years old, too. So maybe arthritis?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  05:50:55 AM  Show Profile
We have a 7 year old doe that is always slow to get goin in the morning. She just seems stiff all over instead of just having it in one leg. It's been so cold, so I hope she perks up when it starts warming up around here. You're probably right that she got it hung up or Faith just got her a good one. I would probably just give it a few days and make sure it's not getting worse. Is Faith your Alpha of the pack? Mine is Joni. I always tell her she's large and in charge. She can be quite the bully at times!!

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  05:54:56 AM  Show Profile
Toby, Abby was always the Alpha doe until this past year. Faith kind of took over. Faith has always been a little mean but now I guess she's the queen. I always have to watch her around other people. She's the one that head butted my granddaughter right on the butt hard a few years ago. So I know she can hurt. Goats can be just plain mean sometimes.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  05:56:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Kris,

I agree with aunt boby, keep an eye on her for a couple of days and hopefully she will get better. One of my does gets up on the goat house sometimes and when she jumps down, I think she hurts her leg because she will limp for a day or two afterwards. Keep us posted!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  3:05:44 PM  Show Profile
She still looks like it hurts to walk. Poor ole girl. I know now it was Faith. She is being very mean to Sandy, also. Just pushing them out of the way very aggresively. I hope Abby will get over this. It doesn't help that she's probably carrying twins and ready to pop any day now.

I kept her apart from the others in the front yard all day. She layed down alot.

Candy, I don't know how they hold all their weight on those skinny little legs anyway. Seems like they'd just snap in two.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  11:51:57 AM  Show Profile
Kristin you might try her on some pain meds thats safe to give does while they are pregnant. I had my doe on them almost a week and she delivered triplets with some help and they are doing fine. It really helped her alot. Anyway just a thought........not sure when she is due to have babies. Goodluck and hope she gets better.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  11:56:26 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I never thought about that. I'll have to see what I can find. She's still limping along today. She wanted to go with the others so I put her with them. As I was walking to the mailbox I could see Mazie the cow ambling toward her and Abby running away from her. I just wonder now if Mazie rammed her. She can get pretty ornery sometimes. And Abby does not hear too well, being Lamancha and no ears. I have snuck up on her a few times and scared her. Kinda funny. But not. Anyway, I'm keeping an eye on them.

Thanks, Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  5:10:36 PM  Show Profile
Kris, Hope Abby keeps improving.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  5:45:50 PM  Show Profile
Yes, she must be improving. She's being very mean. her, Faith and Sandy were all fighting like crazy today. Head butting and acting weird. I had to separate them. I'm sure she'll be fine if she gets through this.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My Goat Abby Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page