Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 My Truckin' Man. He's Finally Home!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic My Truckin' Man. He's Finally Home! Next Topic
Page: of 2

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  09:59:40 AM  Show Profile
I have not seen him since Feb. 1st. If I had known he would be gone the whole month of February, I would have made him take all his clothes with him. And more food. He's supposed to be home every other weekend. He should have been home 2 weeks ago. But didn't. Then last weekend. But didn't. Now he's headed to Ohio for a Friday delivery. So I guess if he's lucky, he might get home by Sat. He's been in every snowstorm in every state so far. He's had to buy new underdrawers. He's had to get all his meds refilled at walmart. I asked him if his bosses remember he's married. Or if they remember him at all. Is there a phantom dispatcher? Or maybe a new one who doesn't know him?

Hmm...I am beginning to wonder if maybe he has another family out there that's having a needy time right now. Or they may be having grandkids or graduations or something. I don't know. But it does make me wonder.

I sure miss the big guy. I know he's tired and will be in his recliner for days when he ever does get home. He's just about to turn 62 in May and I think they might be trying to get him to retire early. They just run all over him. But he has the patience of Job and just takes all they give him. Which, by the way, is really not much but a hard time. But he's my hubby and has always been this way and they know it. But where are all the single young guys? They should be doing all these long runs.

Anyway, he's up North right now. So if anyone sees a ragged Santa look-a-like driving a big white Heartland Express truck, honk and wave. Tell him his wife says hello and that I miss him. Shoot, if I didn't have pictures, I'd forget what the man looks like.

Lonely in Georgia, Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Mar 05 2010 11:28:35 AM

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  10:11:31 AM  Show Profile
Oh Kris, I am not in the same boat as you, but I spend a lot of long lonely days here while my man is doing his computer work, and he is usually so tired when he gets home, I don't see him much either...
So in a different way I do understand...I hope that he comes home safe and sound soon and you get your fellow back for a bit *hugs*

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  10:30:01 AM  Show Profile
Kris, So sorry they are over working your hunny! Hopefully he'll be home this weekend and get a little break for awhile. Hang in there girlfriend, he'll be there soon!

Brenda

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony" Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  12:09:06 PM  Show Profile
My truck driving man just left for his 3 week run. As we own the buisness he gets to come home when ever. Just hurts at bill paying time.
I do know that freight is hard to come by so I am happy to have him out.

But it does get lonely.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  12:12:13 PM  Show Profile
aw, this just breaks my heart!! Hugs to you!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  1:07:47 PM  Show Profile
My dh used to be gone six months at a time, and once we were apart 10months out of one year. It took me the longest time to get used to having him home every night for dinner.

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  2:33:40 PM  Show Profile
I know. I feel like a single woman most of the time. It is hard to get used to him being here when he is here. I guess it's a good thing we're not joined at the hip and have to do everything together. He does his thing and I do mine most of the time. But it does get old. I really will not know what to do when he does retire. Maybe go to work?

Carol, that is a long time to be apart. How far away was he?

Also in trucking he has one good week and then 3 not so good weeks. We are fortunate that he has a job and is able to work. But they sure do take advantage of him. And he lets them, Mr. Passive Man. But I love him anyway.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  2:57:53 PM  Show Profile
Kris, you are such a strong woman. My hubby has his CDL"s ,and I mention to him sometime about getting a long haul job, but he says he doesn't want to be away from me that long. If it wasn't for taking care of parents and grandkids, I told him, maybe we both could go together. Then I start thinking about all these critters and dogs. I can't go anywhere!! The money sure would come in handy though!

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  3:45:43 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
oh gosh, my heart is just breaking for you Kris. It must be so hard! You are one strong farmgirl!!!
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  6:31:37 PM  Show Profile
That's an awful long time to be out. Does he have a fridge in his truck? I hated how much my honey would have to spend on meals when he was out on long hauls. I don't miss those days one bit. So will they let him bounce home or will he have to sit until he gets loaded? Got my fingers crossed for ya!!!

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  6:39:23 PM  Show Profile
Gena, I have been on a few trips with him but it's been years ago. With all my animals now there is no way I could go with him. Plus he doesn't have a bathroom in his truck! It's a rough life out there on the road. Your hubby's better off at home.

Thanks Channah. I really don't feel like a very strong person right now, though.

Yes, he does have a fridge and I always freeze dinners when I cook for him to take with him. I hope he makes it home this weekend. I'll be washing clothes for days. He usually gets 2-3 days home every other weekend. It just depends on how freight is moving. He's actually due a 72 hour shutdown. But they have only mentioned it to him one time. I hope he can be home for that.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  6:55:12 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
You are stronger than you think Kristin!!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  9:50:37 PM  Show Profile
My DH is a trucker too. He's an owner operator and used to be gone more than he is now. I was used to him being home every other night and now he's here all the time. Geez! I have to cook. We too are very thankful he has a good haul right now and is working. Tim has a fridge in his truck and takes most of his food with him. It saves so much money when you don't have to buy food on the road and it's much healthier.

I used to go with him alot more than I do now. We have animals too and it gets complicated but I do go from time to time. When our son was small--he's almost 21 and hasn't been 'small' for a long time--Tim worked construction and was gone for long periods of time. When he was home too long Cameron would ask " Isn't it time for him to go?" I would always say yes, but don't tell him that. It will make him feel bad. He quit construction be cause he was missing too much of our son's life.

We did become very independent when he worked construction. You do discover that you're stronger than you think.

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  05:30:44 AM  Show Profile
Marcia, I do the same thing with mine. When he's here more than 3 days I'm saying it's time for him to hit the road. He's been driving for almost 16 years I think. Half our married life. He started when the kids were just turning teens. I always said he timed that just right! I do have to do almost everything around here. He is a big help when he is home, though. I try to let him think I really need him and let him do some things when he's here. But usually I let him see the things that really need fixed and let him decide what to do so he'll feel "important" when he's home. He has a Harley and loves to ride it so I try no to have too much for him to do so he can enjoy that.

I sure do wish he could find a local job where he'd be home more. When we get the Harley paid off I think he could go back to the Southern region and be home every weekend. We did pay off the car with the income tax this year. So next year I plan to pay off the HD. By then I hope to be able to refinance the house and we'll be more able financially. Or move. We have talked about that, too. I would like to be a little closer to town. But still have some land. I could never give up my critters.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  08:20:21 AM  Show Profile
Ok, he just called and guess where he is? In Syracuse of all places. I was just watching the weather channel about that very place and there he is right in the middle of that mess. He's waiting on a guy to get his load to take to Ohio and then he has to go to Virginia. So he WILL NOT be home AGAIN this weekend. I don't know what they are trying to do to him but that makes me mad. I know they have no control over this stinkin' weather but good grief, they could have at least gotten him a little closer to home. So he will miss seeing the grandkids again also. I'm glad I didn't take that chicken out of the freezer.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  09:40:36 AM  Show Profile
Oh Kris, I was so hopeing he'd make it home to you this weekend. Companies just don't think about a man having a family. But what one man won't or don't want to do there is always another one there ready to take the job. So you have to do what they ask. Sending prayer's that he will be home to you soon, just keep up the love talk on the phone til he get home. Prayers are being sent for his safety with all the weather he's dealing with.

Brenda

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony" Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  11:29:38 AM  Show Profile
Kristen, my dh was either in the Phillipines or the Gulf sea. One year my son was hit by a car, and he was not notified properly and by the time he did find out, my son was out of ICU and he wasn't able to come home. On his last tour, I was trying to sell the house, we had our orders to Missouri, and his replacement committed suicide a few days before dh was due home...which meant he had to stay on the ship another three months. That was a hard time. But besides being gone for the long deployments, the ship would often be gone two or three weeks at a time. You sure find out what you are made of durning these times, that's for sure.
Kris, I'm so sorry your fella won't be home again.I'll pray for his safety, Carol

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  11:55:23 AM  Show Profile
Well, I sure had not thought of all the women whose husabanda are gone for a year or more at a time. I was just feeling sorry for myself, I guess. It doesn't seem so bad when it's just 1 month compared to a year or so. I just hope he makes it ok out there. Living in a truck can't be all that much fun. Sounds like you have been through alot by yourself, Carol. I'm glad your son made it through that time. Thanks for the prayers. He sure needs them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Feb 26 2010 11:56:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  12:27:15 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Ladies, I'm praying for each and everyone of you!! May god give you ladies the strength you need to get through this and that your husbands will be home safe and soon. Keep up the great work ladies!! I'm pulling for you!!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  1:12:34 PM  Show Profile
Channah, you are such a sweet and caring young lady! Someday, a young man is going to be a very blessed fellow when you become his wife. Not right away!!!!!hahahaha You still have alot to learn and do before that time comes. take care,
Brenda

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  4:59:35 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Brenda, thank you!! You are so sweet! No, I am not ready to get married yet. lol
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  9:47:24 PM  Show Profile
You're much stronger than you think Kristin!! Good girl for jumping on here and venting. I lost my DH 3 mos. ago, we were married for 26 wonderful years, 23 of those yrs. he was long haul. We had our own, leased to co.'s, you name it. I do know how you feel. One time he was out for 6 wks., now boy was that a long stretch!! I know with the times the way they are we all have to be glad we have a job, but I always wondered what was up with those danged dispatchers...it was always push, push, push, and when you thought they couldn't push anymore, the did!! My DH retired when he was 65, a few health issues, and he was ready, but a few mos. later regretted retiring, just missed being out on the road , like they say, that diesel smoke gets in their blood. I don't have any encouraging words, but know I'm there for ya, keep your chin up, it's tough when their out there that long!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  05:45:30 AM  Show Profile
Oh Suzie, I am so sorry. I know you miss him terribly. We've been married 31 years now and half of that he's been driving. It does get in their blood for sure. He says that. Something about being still for too long makes them antsy and ready to roll. My hubby had diabetes (just pills) and high blood pressure (more pills). But he does pretty good out there.

Channah, yes, you will make some very lucky young man a wonderful wife in the future. There is someone just for you. And you are so sweet with your words of encouragement. Thanks.

Hubby called yesterday. He was in Virginia on dry ground for the first time in several weeks. And it was warm, too. So he was happy. ANs a little closer to home. I hope he won't have to go back up North til spring.

Thanks ya'll, for all your prayers and encouraging words and thoughts. It means alot to us. And to me to know he is being prayed for out there on the road. He is a very safe driver. Always gets his safety bonus every year. He had one little wreck but it wasn't his fault. Stupid girl in a little car going up the onramp and thought she could beat him. Stupid girl. She was fine but I bet she hasn't done that again.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  06:10:56 AM  Show Profile
My niece is married to a trucker. It is the same with her. They have 4 kids and she works too. It is all on her most of the time. She is very understanding most of the time. She knows it is money. But, she has told me that it really gets tough sometimes. Luckily her son is 18 so he helps quite a bit. But, the others are pretty little. She gets so used to him being gone that I think it's hard to adjust when he is home. My husband always worked 3 to 11 shift, and to be honest, I had one heck of a time adjusting when he retired. I was so used to being by myself and doing my own things that it was hard at frist. But, now I really like it. Took some time though LOL!!

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  08:26:28 AM  Show Profile
Kristin, wasn't looking for sympathy there. While Pete was on the road I worked full time and took care of things at home as you do, it does get to be a little overwhelming for sure, but as I'm reflecting back over the last 26 years, I realize I was being prepared to carry on with things by myself. At times I resented Pete being gone so long, but always maintained all things possible would be done by the time he got home, so we could spend whatever time he had off, doing just what he wanted. I had to laugh at something you posted quite some time ago on another thread, about cleaning when he left, and cleaning right before he came home, which is exactly what I did!! Glad he's on dry and dusty roads, tell him to keep the shiny side up!!! Take good care of you my friend.

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  2:40:27 PM  Show Profile
Kristin, you are stronger than you know! If you've been with your DH for a while, I'm sure that he loves you and misses you during this time. You two sound like a strong pair of people. Your DH also sounds like a very hard worker, and in time, you will be rewarded for that.
God's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Family Matters: Previous Topic My Truckin' Man. He's Finally Home! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page