schoolmama
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Amy
WI
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  8:48:18 PM  Show Profile
most of the time, I wear jeans (especially in cold WI winters!) but I'd like to try some longer skirts. I have several,but they fit too tightly,and are difficult to move around in.
I'm going to try and find (or sew) some longer, 6 panel styles and see how they work out. also- since I'm always cold, I usually put on my "warmwear" or leggings underneath,so I need a looser fit, yet I don't want to look sloppy.

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  10:06:26 PM  Show Profile
... I wear skirts, and jumpers alllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the time! I wear knee socks when it is chilly! I feel so awkward in pants or jeans.. but I wear a pair of work-out pants for when I work out (gym).

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My etsy: Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page

OhioValley Farmchick
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Lisa
Waterford OH
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  03:38:34 AM  Show Profile
My daughter and I wear skirts but also love our jeans. We find lots of bargains at the thrift stores. Someday I'm going to learn to make them.

Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might...Ecclsiastes 9:10
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  05:29:46 AM  Show Profile
I have always worn skirts. Even in high school, even living in Germany's winters, I wore skirts to school, with long johns underneath. I have a six panel style skirt pattern. It calls for knits, which I do not have as readily available as other fabrics lying around the house, so I have not made any yet. I could trace the pattern- but I have 2 trace 2 out of print quilt patterns first, LOL!
I do wear jeans though I sometimes find them to be uncomfortable.
Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

RubyJunes
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

June
Greenwich Ohio
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  06:26:08 AM  Show Profile
I enjoy wearing skirts. I just made one using the Cute Skirts pattern from Favorite Things and love it! I like that their patterns are simple to follow, and often have a matching one in girls' sizes so I can make my 9 year old daughter a similar garment! Also got the Prairie Girl dress pattern, and plan to make that up next. Love the slip underneath! I've made jumpers, etc. using their patterns and have really enjoyed them. I will include the link to where I ordered my patterns, I see they are currently out of stock there, but hopefully she'll get more in very soon. i got great service at Sew Mama Sew, and they have so many great product to choose from! (too many maybe! ha!)
http://www.sewmamasew.com/store/ecom-prodshow/847.html
Here's the link to Favorite Things' site: http://www.favoritethings.net

--June
Farmgirl #545
www.RubyJunes.blogspot.com
www.RubyJunes.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  07:11:03 AM  Show Profile
Yes to the skirts :) But only recently. I've started sewing my own (which is fun)! I find skirts more comfy and delightfully farmgirlish. I too would like to find warmer skirts for the colder weather. I am also looking for heavier tights to wear. It was cold feeding the dogs this morning! Eight below is a bit nippy on the legs for the skirts that i've made so far!

Thanks for the suggestions of pattern sites. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  08:37:51 AM  Show Profile
June - I love the Favorite Things patterns too!
I have made 5 of Amy Butler's Barcelona skirt - elastic waist skirts are not flattering on my figure so when I saw this pattern I know I had to try it - it is an A-line, lined skirt, not too hard, I made all of them when I was first starting to sew. Anyway, I love the way it fits.
I tend to wear skirts in the summer when I don't have to wear tights underneath. The skirts I made have a cotton lining and they ride up on tights, and I can't wear longjohns underneath because I need to look professional at work.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  11:03:29 AM  Show Profile
In the summer I always wear skirts. I think i might make some long skirts for the winter now, lets see where the wind takes us...

See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

DivaHick
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Megan
Alliance OH
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  11:24:57 AM  Show Profile
Please don't mind my asking, but how many of you who wear skirts all the time are plus sized ladies? I'm definitely "curvier" and in the summer I have some...issues shall I say... wearing skirts every day, although I try to. I also would like to wear skirts in the winter but I haven't been able to find a single long skirt in my size unless it's what I call "granny wear" lol! I would give anything to find an affordable long denim skirt in my size!

I'm working on sewing a few for myself...

Yes I play the spoons, but I do it with perfectly manicured nails...
Go to Top of Page

Ms. Treadle
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Leigh-Ann
Northwest Mississippi
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  12:51:29 PM  Show Profile
My daughters and I have worn skirts or dresses exclusively for about 2 years now and we love it. We slip on leggings or capris underneath for the cold days along with knee socks. We make most of them ourselves and love hunting at Goodwill for others.

Blessings,
Leigh-Ann

The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary. ~Mary Kurtz
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  1:13:45 PM  Show Profile
I love skirts and wear them most of the time in the summer. I use to live in Scotland and wore them almost exclusively with knit tights. I wish I knew where to get the tights here so I could wear more skirts in the winter. I make most of mine but have a few left that I bought in Scotland. I love making them and I love wearing them.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  1:18:57 PM  Show Profile
I wear long dresses and long skirts of various styles most of the time. I just slip leggings or long jhons on when it gets too cold. I used to be a jeans girls when I was little bitty and wore size 2, but that was a while ago so anything that hides the tummy and rear-end is ok by me...mostly ankle length is what I like.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  6:14:54 PM  Show Profile
I love skirts! I think they are so much more comfortable than jeans, but it is so cold here in the winter that I wear more pants until the weather warms. Is it just me, or are casual skirts harder to find than they used to be?

Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE

Edited by - texdane on Feb 25 2010 6:15:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  6:33:28 PM  Show Profile
Oh! Tights!
I'm a HUGE fan. The only problem is, the good ones are not cheap!
The best site I've found was www.tights-on-line.com. I think they closed and maybe reopened. They sold returned tights for cheap! I've been using www.kidsfashionbrokers.com. They have adult tights, including wool ones. I last ordered 4 yrs ago-
The brand I use is MP tights. They last 5 yrs or more.
~ Mary LD

Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  6:38:45 PM  Show Profile
The tights online site is not the one I remember. It is www.tightsonline.com
The first one no longer carries the MP tights, but they have Sternlein, which is also a very good brand.
Kids FAshion Brokers has more choices.

Go to Top of Page

krbrown@rocketmail.com
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Kim
Allendale MI
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  6:50:00 PM  Show Profile
I live in skirts. Love them. I put leggings or long johns on to stay warm.
Go to Top of Page

KaleidoscopeEyes
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Stephanie
Amesbury MA
20 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  8:38:42 PM  Show Profile
I love skirts also! And casual dresses. I'm mainly into the "hippie" flowing skirts, so although I wear them most of the year, they don't hold up for the winter. I've made a few skirts too.
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Amy
WI
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  9:07:29 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by texdane

I love skirts! I think they are so much more comfortable than jeans, but it is so cold here in the winter that I wear more pants until the weather warms. Is it just me, or are casual skirts harder to find than they used to be?

It is definitely harder! I have the most success looking at thrift stores. I found some cute skirts today ,in fact! Three name brand skirts (tommy hilfiger, christopher banks and children's place. A jean skirt,and a dressier skirt for me,and a cute layered/ruffle corduroy one for my 6yodd. I just keep searching the thrift stores- but most are too short or too dressy for my needs.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  5:02:25 PM  Show Profile
I love skirts too. Mostly full demin and cotton peasant. I've not heard of "Favorite Things Patterns". Can I just google that?

Sister-chick# 905(Oct.7th2009)
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  11:38:36 AM  Show Profile
Megan... I am what would be a "plus" size gal... I make my own. I use patterns from Folkwear and make the skirt out of the pattern for Edwardian Underthings ( http://www.folkwear.com/203.html )
I just LOVE'em! I use heavier fabrics for the cooler seasons... and cotton or seersuckers for hotter seasons!

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus ...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
My Etsy: Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures ...http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  1:28:24 PM  Show Profile
Judy - I am pretty sure that I have reached the Favorite Things site by googling, just be sure to do "Favorite Things Patterns"
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  1:33:15 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I haven't really worn dresses or skirts unless I went to a wedding. But I intend on making a few and start wearing skirts. I think they are lovely.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog...Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

RubyJunes
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

June
Greenwich Ohio
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  3:08:02 PM  Show Profile
There's a link to the Favorite things site in my previous post in this topic...I think it is http://www.FavoriteThings.net Any of their patterns I have ever purchased have sizing up to at least size 22, and I feel they generally are very generous with their sizing.

--June
Farmgirl #545
www.RubyJunes.blogspot.com
www.RubyJunes.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  3:34:21 PM  Show Profile
http://www.holyclothing.com/

This company has wonderful, soft and attractive clothing at a pretty good price. I have one skirt and want more. They do a lot of plus sizes as well.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  06:50:34 AM  Show Profile
I wear both jeans and skirts. I think they keep me warmer than my jeans! I wear my over the knee cable socks and lace up boots and keep very warm!

Heather

http://homesteadincity.blogspot.com/

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

DivaHick
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Megan
Alliance OH
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  07:18:03 AM  Show Profile
I just love Holy Clothing! I have several dresses and skirts, I have a picture somewhere of me on the mini tractor in one! LOL

Yes I play the spoons, but I do it with perfectly manicured nails...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic do you wear skirts? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page