Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Anyone belong to a Slow Food Chapter?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Anyone belong to a Slow Food Chapter? Next Topic  

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  6:02:33 PM  Show Profile
A new Slow Food chapter has recently been created close to me. My Mom and Dad as members of their local Farmer's Market were asked to speak to a group of chapter members today and I'm interested in getting to know more about them. I have detested fast food for years, and like a lot of you cook about 95% of meals eaten by my DH and I at home. So, Slow Food anyone? :)

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  6:06:28 PM  Show Profile
I'm just now getting into the movement and trying to rearrange my and my sweeties life to accommodate this newish life style...I'm all for it. I love to cook! but he is a bit tepid about it...Darn stubborn men!

I'm not sure that there is a slow food chapter in my area, but I'm really interested in it.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  6:14:51 PM  Show Profile
Amen Annika!! Darn stubborn men!! I can't get mine to eat at the dinner table. He wants to sit in his chair in front of the darn T.V. Arrrgghhh!!!

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  6:28:38 PM  Show Profile
I would be interested in a slow food chapter, if there are any in the St. Louis area.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  7:32:17 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, YOU'RE IN LUCK!!! There IS a Slow Food chapter in St. Louis!!!

http://www.slowfoodstl.org/

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  7:42:30 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Can someone explain this Slow Food to me? I have never heard of it before.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog...Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  8:13:25 PM  Show Profile
Julie - I don't know all the details, but to the best of my knowledge it is a group of people who are attempting to revive real cooking, using local, seasonal, farm fresh products. They focus on the enjoyment of the meal, socialization over eating and really enjoying food as opposed to bolting it down without paying any attention to what you are putting in your mouth. Actually, the whole concept sort of reminded me of "French Women Don't Get Fat".

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  8:15:24 PM  Show Profile
http://www.slowfood.com/about_us/eng/philosophy.lasso

I got this off their website, kind of like their mission statement. :)

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  11:09:29 PM  Show Profile
Sarah--thanks for the link! I know quite a few people who would be interested in it.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  02:42:34 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the info.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog...Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  4:02:10 PM  Show Profile
I had an e-mail from Dad today and he said their "talk" with the Slow Food group went really well. There were 60 "slow foodies" in attendance!!! For a town the size of Springfieldl, and a fairly new concept to the area that is a fantastic turnout! It's so great that the word is getting out and that there are so many people starting to support local farmers. I'm absolutely elated!!!

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Anyone belong to a Slow Food Chapter? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page