Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Raising chicks without power
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Raising chicks without power Next Topic  

Anastasia
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Anastasia
Telkwa BC
Canada
56 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  3:23:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone,

I've looked through piles of posts but haven't found my answer yet. We live off the grid and there is no way we could power a heat lamp for three or four weeks (or more) without running our generator all the time. There aren't any hatcheries nearby (adult birds are only sold if you can pick them up in person) or I'd get a broody hen or two. I vaguely recall hearing about someone who would pour hot water into a large plastic carboy bottle each night during the winter to keep the chickens warm but I doubt that would be enough for chicks. We raised our first batch in the house: three weeks in a cage next to the wood stove in May. The smell and heat were insane!!!! NOT doing that again.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!

"Speciality is for insects." -Robert Heinlen

rschaaf
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Renee
Wooster Ohio
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  4:54:56 PM  Show Profile
Anastasia,
Can you wait until later in the year and order chicks? Do you get regualr mail? How far off the grid are you? I'm not familiar with living off the grid. Do you have any acess to propane? You may be able to find a gas powered brooder...?

"There is beauty, there is grace, in my peaceful country place!"

See what I'm up to at: http://www.lifeonctfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  4:55:00 PM  Show Profile
They will need to be kept at at least 90 degrees for the first few weeks. You could try a hot water bottle but you be refilling it all day and I'm not sure it would work. You really need a constant heat source.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  5:28:34 PM  Show Profile
I get mine in May...could you wait until then?

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  5:44:07 PM  Show Profile
This may not be the answer you are looking for, but I do know of a family who kept the chickens in the house. In fact, they hatched them out in a big pot in the oven instead of using an incubator. I'm not sure if keeping them in the house is what you are looking for, but it would work if you could keep them close to your heat source (i.e. wood cookstove, fireplace, etc.)

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Anastasia
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Anastasia
Telkwa BC
Canada
56 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  7:58:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,

Thanks for all the posts. :) We waited until late May last time and still had them in the house for three weeks; we are lucky if we can transplant our garden outside by the end of May. Still somewhat frosty at night.

We have solar panels, a wind tower, and a propane powered generator but the heat lamp draws so much that the genny would be running a lot, which gets expensive. The propane brooder is an idea...I'll look into that.

Cannot imagine having them in the oven! We have a 22-month old son and chances are good that we'd end up with chick-fricassee... ;)

I think I heard something about shipping as late as the end of June, maybe I'll just have to be patient and try that. They still need heat though. Ah, for a broody hen!!!

Go to Top of Page

Chives
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Victoria
Shelton Washington
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  8:30:07 PM  Show Profile
We use to put our chicks in house next to the wood stove. Everyone was happy. Vicki
Go to Top of Page

Anastasia
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Anastasia
Telkwa BC
Canada
56 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  8:33:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi Vicki,

We tried that the first year but the noise, smell, and heat off the wood stove drove us crazy. Maybe we could put them next to the basement wood stove and keep the upstairs windows open...Hmmmmm. Would be better than the main wood stove in the living room!!! That might just work.

Cheers,
Anastasia :)

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Raising chicks without power Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page